Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- IEMs vs Portables Last post on 7/24/12 at 9:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread Last post on 11/8/16 at 1:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendations on Custom in-ear Monitors to pair Ipod Classic ( Westone ES5, ES3X, JH13, EM?) Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ACS T1 Live! vs Heir Audio 8.A vs Unique Melody Miracle? Last post on 3/12/13 at 8:01pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM - Page 71post #1051 of 12847/15/14 at 5:47pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1052 of 12847/15/14 at 5:47pmpost #1053 of 12847/18/14 at 11:56am
After much testing, i finally bit the bullet today for a pair of Merlins, hopefully will arrive within 6 weeks in immaculate condition without fitting or technical issues, to replace my 5 year old dual driver LiveWires.
Hopefully it will look like how i wanted it with correct colour combinations and custom art like how i rendered it:
Edited by burpingboy - 7/18/14 at 10:02pmpost #1054 of 12847/19/14 at 1:12ampost #1055 of 12847/19/14 at 3:21ampost #1056 of 12847/19/14 at 9:15amHi all. Yep they do! The vents are very small metal tubings. I got them for sgd900 in all. The local distributor has a sale going on this July. They sell all of the um series and after trying the whole lineup, i liked the Merlins the best. I even preferred it to the mentors. The demo sets were all hand made acrylic universals and i had expected mine to be so but apparently um now 3d prints the universals so its much2 faster, not to mention a smaller body which is very comfortable. The saleaperson ticked 3d printed universals in my order sheet. I believe my pair of merlins were constructed in China. I've had them for a week and they sound spectacular. I hope to be able to write a short review soon. Its strange how people are going on and on about the new hybrids but very few seem to have revisted the Merlins. Having owned a fair bit of iems and headphones, I think these are a fantastic pair of earphones. A great accomplishment by um.post #1057 of 12847/19/14 at 10:20ampost #1058 of 12847/19/14 at 3:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by BooBoo91
I really tempted to reshell my Merlin into Universal form. After a year i realize that it's better to have Universal form for listening when i lie on my bed (most of time).
Beside, the really did well on universal's design. I gonna throw 250 for it ><</div>
Be sure to ask for the 3d printed version. Its really very comfortable. But you'll have to try different tips to settle on a particular sound. The different tips dont mess the sound about a great deal. Its just that there are very subtle differences.post #1059 of 12847/20/14 at 2:21amQuote:
Any idea if they would ship to uk?
Thankspost #1060 of 12847/20/14 at 10:13ampost #1061 of 12847/20/14 at 11:14ampost #1062 of 12847/22/14 at 8:02am
I read through this whole thread twice now (what am I doing with my life?). Once before ordering the Merlin, now again since I placed the order earlier today (need to reinforce myself after the sinking feeling of departing with all that money).
I am upgrading to this from my Brainwavz R3 IEM that I received for free with my Ibasso DX90 from mp4nation. I think I am in for a real treat! I went down this path because after getting the Ultrasone Pro 900 I got addicted to soundstage, and the merlin is basically a similar signature in a CIEM. I started getting fed up with the Pro 900 which are kind of heavy and hot. The cups swivel and drive me crazy fit wise, especially since I am so conscious of the whole S-logic and driver placement, so I keep repositioning them on my head. After starting to use the Brainwavz R3 (which sound great to my ears), I almost always prefered to quickly insert these than taking out the Pro 900 and messing with them on my head for an hour. Thing is, I do occasionally have fit issues with the R3 as well, having to adjust/push them in deeper and then start rolling tips when I get too annoyed.
I was about to go for a higher tier IEM like Sennheiser IE80 or Sony EX1000/600, but then I read up on how some members here preferred their portable rigs (audiophile DAP + CIEM) compared to their expensive HD800/T1 desktop rigs. Hopefully my journey will end after this (who am I kidding?).
Initially I was torn between the Merlin and the JH16 but decided on the Merlin since they are supposed to have a larger soundstage and are cheaper for me (I live in Israel). This still was sort of a tough decision due to all the marketing hype about 10 and 12 driver CIEMs out there. I wonder how much the Merlin keeps up with it's 4 BAs and 1 DD... I hope they aren't lagging too far behind.
I know I have a long wait ahead of me but I was wondering if someone can enlighten me a little bit about impedance issues of the Merlin and the DX90. So far, I always use it on high gain as I feel it gives me the most dynamics.
Thanks for all the wonderful impressions guys, couldn't have gotten all this info anywhere else
Edited by uli87 - 7/22/14 at 8:05ampost #1063 of 12847/22/14 at 10:12pmpost #1064 of 12847/23/14 at 7:32pm
Cross posting like a boss..
Just got mine this week! Love them.
Here's some pics!
The case in my photos is a Pelican 1010 :)
The wait time was just over 6 weeks from sending off impressions to getting the iems back through Unique Melody Global (uniquemelody.co) - tough wait, but worth it!
Edited by kelske - 7/23/14 at 7:33pmpost #1065 of 12847/23/14 at 10:39pmQuote:
I just couldn't find many other options that offer a huge soundstage with rumbling bass and airy highs, especially for this price.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Denon AH-MM400 36 seconds ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 3 minutes ago
- › The first person to listen to the HD 598 CS Closed Back 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear