- 7,067 Posts. Joined 10/2001
- Location: Hong Kong
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 8/29/14 at 9:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
- Something has got to be wrong with my system, please help me solve it! Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 53post #781 of 9379/2/12 at 3:26amI read somewhere (damned if I know where) that balanced armature drivers in general have more distortion than dynamic drivers, anyone care to comment / validate / point out the source of this claim?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #782 of 9379/2/12 at 4:00amQuote:
it's pretty hard to verify this claim, since the BAs operate at much lower voltage compared to dynamic, so if you are feeding the 2 at the same voltage, it's likely that the BA has more distortion.post #783 of 9379/2/12 at 4:21ampost #784 of 9379/2/12 at 9:04am
ah yeah there's also that as well. I completely forgot there was volume matching :P
as far as I know there hasn't been anyone measuring distortion of BAs as a single unit, even those guys from Knowles never tried that either.
I might give it a try if I can get my hands on some good dynamic iems.post #785 of 9379/7/12 at 1:17ampost #786 of 9379/9/12 at 7:29pmpost #787 of 9379/10/12 at 7:20pmpost #788 of 9379/11/12 at 3:45amQuote:
I don't see any limits on FFT size.
There is excess phase prefiltering / decomposition into excess and min. phase.
There's pre-echo and ringing truncation.. and much more.
;-)post #789 of 9379/11/12 at 2:27pm
Granted, haven't looked at it in a long time. At least then it was a lot harder to use and you can spend a lot of time getting Acourate tweaked to the way you like it.
Dennis posts to the Acourate forum sometimes.
- Another evil pagan...post #790 of 9379/24/12 at 6:14pmQuote:
The ridges on the Sextett look quite similar to those on the K 241 (late '70s) and K 250 (early '80s).
The K 240 DF got rid of the ridges, mostly:
As a curiosity, the AKG 'mid-Beats' K 160:
Some number of bugs are expected in the output of the plotting software.
Edited by vid - 9/24/12 at 6:21pmpost #791 of 9379/24/12 at 7:26pmpost #792 of 9379/25/12 at 4:56ampost #793 of 9379/27/12 at 5:20pm
All graphs aligned at 984 Hz. Ridges past 2 ms and 984 Hz are annotated.
AKG K 340 Electrostatic-Dynamic:
Somewhat similar to what purrin measured for the K 340. I thought the treble was ok (with velour pads) and the soundstage was nicely 3d. A lush but kinda strange sound - not bad for the right listener.
AKG K 260:
This was the Philips-rebadged model, SBC 3178. Terrible tonality, but the driver seemed capable.
Beyer DT 990 (vintage, 1980s):
A good-sounding driver; nice detail and a great treble.
Beyer DT 990 (vintage + modern velour pads):
This is why I couldn't stand the modern Beyer velours on the vintage 990. A horrible, piercing treble - nothing like it should be.
Edited by vid - 9/27/12 at 5:24pmpost #794 of 9379/27/12 at 9:31pmThread Starterpost #795 of 9379/27/12 at 10:13pm
I seriously don't get these newer velour pads. I have found ZERO use for them. Ended up fixing a HFI580 by replacing some Beyer velours that they never came w/ from the factory. Maybe the TMAIAIAIA is a good velour candidate?
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 13 seconds ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 1 minute ago
- › LCD 2 / Schiit Lyr (v1.0) / hd 650s (for sale) 1 minute ago
- › USB vs Optical Dac 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD 2 - rev.2 - Rosewood headphones 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › I Think We're Being Had 6 minutes ago
- › A long time(2010) Denon D5000 owner needs advice/direction on new... 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)