Just a note. Caution with FR/CSDs on the IEMs. Even the pro-couplers state in their literature that they are not accurate above 8-10k. The couplers and tubes do introduce their own resonances.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 9/20/16 at 11:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
Introduction – It can be hard to find a rational reason to purchase a set of bookshelf speakers when there are so many fantastic computer out there that offer more features and similar sound...
Gear references Favourite: D2000 (balanced with sub-bass and upper-midrange emphasis) Neutrality: SRH940 (though with a slight treble emphasis) IEM reference: Aurisonics...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 46post #676 of 9376/4/12 at 1:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #677 of 9376/4/12 at 1:10pmQuote:
Do you know specifically in what way/to what to degree they're off?post #678 of 9376/5/12 at 3:31pmpost #679 of 9376/5/12 at 3:47pmQuote:
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.post #680 of 9376/5/12 at 5:31pmThread Starter
^ What Sanji said.
Although I'm putting it in extremely simplistic terms (the math behind it says more precisely what's going on), think of it as an sonic pulse consisting of all tones applied to a headphone. The plot shows the decay characteristics and lets us see if the driver does anything funny, like resonant at certain frequencies. It is, almost sort of, a frequency response over time (but not exactly.)
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 5:36pmpost #681 of 9376/5/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.
Perfect, thank you very much!
Also thank you for doing the Ad2000, they don't get near enough love here.
Edited by keanex - 6/5/12 at 7:02pmpost #682 of 9376/5/12 at 7:48pmThread Starter
LOL, the AD2000 has some extremely FAST decay from 5k onward. Some ringing at 4k, an area which is not that objectionable. Treble is relatively smooth with some minor ridges at 10kHz which I personally don't find objectionable either.
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 7:49pmpost #683 of 9376/9/12 at 7:53am
purrin..do you have the csd graph of he-400?? i think i read you said in other threads that they were decent.. but i couldnt find any graphs in this thread.. i'd like to know if the peak around 1k, according to tyll's graph at least http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf, is offensive or not..post #684 of 9376/9/12 at 8:05amThread Starter
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.post #685 of 9376/9/12 at 9:53amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.
I've read that HiFiMan explicitly states whether or not an HE-400 is rev. 1 or rev. 2 at sale. Only visual cues are that the rev. 2 is terminated in mini instead of 1/4"post #686 of 9376/9/12 at 10:14amQuote:
rev.2 is 1/8? Interesting, guess that's kind of 'easier'.post #687 of 9376/9/12 at 10:43am
AFAIK all shipped non-review non-prototype HE400s since January have 3.5mm termination with a 1/4'' adapter actually.
Anyway, looking forward to purrin's measurements then!
P.S. purrin, if you do buy the HE400s, you should request that they be shipped with velour pads instead of the default pleathers; that or get both and try each out. Over in our HE400 thread everyone is much more satisfied with the velour pads both in terms of comfort and in sonic qualities.
Edited by jerg - 6/9/12 at 10:44ampost #688 of 9376/18/12 at 12:34am
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 48 seconds ago
- › 1989 VS 2017............M.............E!! 1 minute ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 2 minutes ago
- › Any idea about this new headphone ? 2 minutes ago
- › Recommend me neutral IEMs under ~220 USD! 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD598- recable, single sided, balanced 4 minutes ago
- › Acoustic Research M20 Coming soon 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 5 minutes ago
- › Vape-Fi 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › OPPO HA-2 by ryanjsoo
- › TFZ Series 1 by Hisoundfi
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...