Just a note. Caution with FR/CSDs on the IEMs. Even the pro-couplers state in their literature that they are not accurate above 8-10k. The couplers and tubes do introduce their own resonances.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on Today at 9:08 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
- Something has got to be wrong with my system, please help me solve it! Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 46post #676 of 9346/4/12 at 1:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #677 of 9346/4/12 at 1:10pmQuote:
Do you know specifically in what way/to what to degree they're off?post #678 of 9346/5/12 at 3:31pmpost #679 of 9346/5/12 at 3:47pmQuote:
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.post #680 of 9346/5/12 at 5:31pmThread Starter
^ What Sanji said.
Although I'm putting it in extremely simplistic terms (the math behind it says more precisely what's going on), think of it as an sonic pulse consisting of all tones applied to a headphone. The plot shows the decay characteristics and lets us see if the driver does anything funny, like resonant at certain frequencies. It is, almost sort of, a frequency response over time (but not exactly.)
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 5:36pmpost #681 of 9346/5/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.
Perfect, thank you very much!
Also thank you for doing the Ad2000, they don't get near enough love here.
Edited by keanex - 6/5/12 at 7:02pmpost #682 of 9346/5/12 at 7:48pmThread Starter
LOL, the AD2000 has some extremely FAST decay from 5k onward. Some ringing at 4k, an area which is not that objectionable. Treble is relatively smooth with some minor ridges at 10kHz which I personally don't find objectionable either.
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 7:49pmpost #683 of 9346/9/12 at 7:53am
purrin..do you have the csd graph of he-400?? i think i read you said in other threads that they were decent.. but i couldnt find any graphs in this thread.. i'd like to know if the peak around 1k, according to tyll's graph at least http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf, is offensive or not..post #684 of 9346/9/12 at 8:05amThread Starter
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.post #685 of 9346/9/12 at 9:53amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.
I've read that HiFiMan explicitly states whether or not an HE-400 is rev. 1 or rev. 2 at sale. Only visual cues are that the rev. 2 is terminated in mini instead of 1/4"post #686 of 9346/9/12 at 10:14amQuote:
rev.2 is 1/8? Interesting, guess that's kind of 'easier'.post #687 of 9346/9/12 at 10:43am
AFAIK all shipped non-review non-prototype HE400s since January have 3.5mm termination with a 1/4'' adapter actually.
Anyway, looking forward to purrin's measurements then!
P.S. purrin, if you do buy the HE400s, you should request that they be shipped with velour pads instead of the default pleathers; that or get both and try each out. Over in our HE400 thread everyone is much more satisfied with the velour pads both in terms of comfort and in sonic qualities.
Edited by jerg - 6/9/12 at 10:44ampost #688 of 9346/18/12 at 12:34am
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 19 seconds ago
- › Fiio E18 28 seconds ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 46 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio E17 keeps crashing my Windows 8 laptop 5 minutes ago
- › LCD-2 (especially the Rev2 Driver) or HE-500?? 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 8 minutes ago
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe