Just a note. Caution with FR/CSDs on the IEMs. Even the pro-couplers state in their literature that they are not accurate above 8-10k. The couplers and tubes do introduce their own resonances.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on Yesterday at 9:53 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
- Something has got to be wrong with my system, please help me solve it! Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
I have own the Dunu tridents for about 4-5 months, and about a week about, the left ear suddenly stopped working. I left them on my desk for the weekend, no spills, or anything touching them. Now i...
The Brainwavz M1 has been widely toted as a popular option at under $50 for the last few years. Why is that the case? Well, because at the time of their debut, they were one the few balanced...
Intro Here is a review of the Audio-Technica CKR10 there are a couple reviews of this model already but the more reviews the better. First I would like to say thank you to Audio-Technica for...
So, a review Woo Audio WA2... I have divided it into some headings, and rated them out of 100. These are my ratings based on my personal opinion. I'm open to comments as well, feel free to voice...
Intro After briefly owning and eventually selling the Audio Technica ATH - M50, there were quite a few things that I still desired in a closed headphone. I wanted something more comfortable...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 46post #676 of 9376/4/12 at 1:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #677 of 9376/4/12 at 1:10pmQuote:
Do you know specifically in what way/to what to degree they're off?post #678 of 9376/5/12 at 3:31pmpost #679 of 9376/5/12 at 3:47pmQuote:
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.post #680 of 9376/5/12 at 5:31pmThread Starter
^ What Sanji said.
Although I'm putting it in extremely simplistic terms (the math behind it says more precisely what's going on), think of it as an sonic pulse consisting of all tones applied to a headphone. The plot shows the decay characteristics and lets us see if the driver does anything funny, like resonant at certain frequencies. It is, almost sort of, a frequency response over time (but not exactly.)
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 5:36pmpost #681 of 9376/5/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.
Perfect, thank you very much!
Also thank you for doing the Ad2000, they don't get near enough love here.
Edited by keanex - 6/5/12 at 7:02pmpost #682 of 9376/5/12 at 7:48pmThread Starter
LOL, the AD2000 has some extremely FAST decay from 5k onward. Some ringing at 4k, an area which is not that objectionable. Treble is relatively smooth with some minor ridges at 10kHz which I personally don't find objectionable either.
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 7:49pmpost #683 of 9376/9/12 at 7:53am
purrin..do you have the csd graph of he-400?? i think i read you said in other threads that they were decent.. but i couldnt find any graphs in this thread.. i'd like to know if the peak around 1k, according to tyll's graph at least http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf, is offensive or not..post #684 of 9376/9/12 at 8:05amThread Starter
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.post #685 of 9376/9/12 at 9:53amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.
I've read that HiFiMan explicitly states whether or not an HE-400 is rev. 1 or rev. 2 at sale. Only visual cues are that the rev. 2 is terminated in mini instead of 1/4"post #686 of 9376/9/12 at 10:14amQuote:
rev.2 is 1/8? Interesting, guess that's kind of 'easier'.post #687 of 9376/9/12 at 10:43am
AFAIK all shipped non-review non-prototype HE400s since January have 3.5mm termination with a 1/4'' adapter actually.
Anyway, looking forward to purrin's measurements then!
P.S. purrin, if you do buy the HE400s, you should request that they be shipped with velour pads instead of the default pleathers; that or get both and try each out. Over in our HE400 thread everyone is much more satisfied with the velour pads both in terms of comfort and in sonic qualities.
Edited by jerg - 6/9/12 at 10:44ampost #688 of 9376/18/12 at 12:34am
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page) 44 seconds ago
- › WANTED AKG K550, K551 and K7xx 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 3 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 3 minutes ago
- › Recommendation needed for LCD-3 DAC/amp 3 minutes ago
- › How to Manually Create Playlists for the X5 3 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x,... 4 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by Tom22
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)