Just a note. Caution with FR/CSDs on the IEMs. Even the pro-couplers state in their literature that they are not accurate above 8-10k. The couplers and tubes do introduce their own resonances.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 4/16/16 at 3:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 46post #676 of 9376/4/12 at 1:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #677 of 9376/4/12 at 1:10pmQuote:
Do you know specifically in what way/to what to degree they're off?post #678 of 9376/5/12 at 3:31pmpost #679 of 9376/5/12 at 3:47pmQuote:
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.post #680 of 9376/5/12 at 5:31pmThread Starter
^ What Sanji said.
Although I'm putting it in extremely simplistic terms (the math behind it says more precisely what's going on), think of it as an sonic pulse consisting of all tones applied to a headphone. The plot shows the decay characteristics and lets us see if the driver does anything funny, like resonant at certain frequencies. It is, almost sort of, a frequency response over time (but not exactly.)
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 5:36pmpost #681 of 9376/5/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.
Perfect, thank you very much!
Also thank you for doing the Ad2000, they don't get near enough love here.
Edited by keanex - 6/5/12 at 7:02pmpost #682 of 9376/5/12 at 7:48pmThread Starter
LOL, the AD2000 has some extremely FAST decay from 5k onward. Some ringing at 4k, an area which is not that objectionable. Treble is relatively smooth with some minor ridges at 10kHz which I personally don't find objectionable either.
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 7:49pmpost #683 of 9376/9/12 at 7:53am
purrin..do you have the csd graph of he-400?? i think i read you said in other threads that they were decent.. but i couldnt find any graphs in this thread.. i'd like to know if the peak around 1k, according to tyll's graph at least http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf, is offensive or not..post #684 of 9376/9/12 at 8:05amThread Starter
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.post #685 of 9376/9/12 at 9:53amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.
I've read that HiFiMan explicitly states whether or not an HE-400 is rev. 1 or rev. 2 at sale. Only visual cues are that the rev. 2 is terminated in mini instead of 1/4"post #686 of 9376/9/12 at 10:14amQuote:
rev.2 is 1/8? Interesting, guess that's kind of 'easier'.post #687 of 9376/9/12 at 10:43am
AFAIK all shipped non-review non-prototype HE400s since January have 3.5mm termination with a 1/4'' adapter actually.
Anyway, looking forward to purrin's measurements then!
P.S. purrin, if you do buy the HE400s, you should request that they be shipped with velour pads instead of the default pleathers; that or get both and try each out. Over in our HE400 thread everyone is much more satisfied with the velour pads both in terms of comfort and in sonic qualities.
Edited by jerg - 6/9/12 at 10:44ampost #688 of 9376/18/12 at 12:34am
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 22 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 25 seconds ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 53 seconds ago
- › Win A FiiO DK1 (Multifunction Dock) with Your Comments---- A Harbor... 1 minute ago
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 2 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM650 Portable Music Player Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...