Just a note. Caution with FR/CSDs on the IEMs. Even the pro-couplers state in their literature that they are not accurate above 8-10k. The couplers and tubes do introduce their own resonances.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 6/30/14 at 6:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
- Something has got to be wrong with my system, please help me solve it! Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2
Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end...
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 46post #676 of 9376/4/12 at 1:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #677 of 9376/4/12 at 1:10pmQuote:
Do you know specifically in what way/to what to degree they're off?post #678 of 9376/5/12 at 3:31pmpost #679 of 9376/5/12 at 3:47pmQuote:
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.post #680 of 9376/5/12 at 5:31pmThread Starter
^ What Sanji said.
Although I'm putting it in extremely simplistic terms (the math behind it says more precisely what's going on), think of it as an sonic pulse consisting of all tones applied to a headphone. The plot shows the decay characteristics and lets us see if the driver does anything funny, like resonant at certain frequencies. It is, almost sort of, a frequency response over time (but not exactly.)
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 5:36pmpost #681 of 9376/5/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by SanjiWatsuki
The gist of it is that a theoretical perfectly accurate headphone would have a wall of sound for a moment then immediately drop off. If there is a long spike or chunk in the middle of the graph, that is a the headphone continuing to make sound after it technically should stop -- these are resonances. Resonances can have different effects on the sound -- a resonance in the treble can cause nasty sibilance. Resonances in the 1-3khz range can cause "shouty" vocals. If a headphone has a particularly clean waterfall CSD, it implies that it'll have better detail retrieval because there will be less sound resonating around.
Perfect, thank you very much!
Also thank you for doing the Ad2000, they don't get near enough love here.
Edited by keanex - 6/5/12 at 7:02pmpost #682 of 9376/5/12 at 7:48pmThread Starter
LOL, the AD2000 has some extremely FAST decay from 5k onward. Some ringing at 4k, an area which is not that objectionable. Treble is relatively smooth with some minor ridges at 10kHz which I personally don't find objectionable either.
Edited by purrin - 6/5/12 at 7:49pmpost #683 of 9376/9/12 at 7:53am
purrin..do you have the csd graph of he-400?? i think i read you said in other threads that they were decent.. but i couldnt find any graphs in this thread.. i'd like to know if the peak around 1k, according to tyll's graph at least http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf, is offensive or not..post #684 of 9376/9/12 at 8:05amThread Starter
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.post #685 of 9376/9/12 at 9:53amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
Not yet. There is a good possibility that I may buy them for myself. I liked the unit I heard at the Schiit booth at T.H.E SHOW. But I've heard that earlier versions sounded different. It's possible these had some teething issues which were eventually resolved by HiFiMan. I had no problems with the unit I heard.
I've read that HiFiMan explicitly states whether or not an HE-400 is rev. 1 or rev. 2 at sale. Only visual cues are that the rev. 2 is terminated in mini instead of 1/4"post #686 of 9376/9/12 at 10:14amQuote:
rev.2 is 1/8? Interesting, guess that's kind of 'easier'.post #687 of 9376/9/12 at 10:43am
AFAIK all shipped non-review non-prototype HE400s since January have 3.5mm termination with a 1/4'' adapter actually.
Anyway, looking forward to purrin's measurements then!
P.S. purrin, if you do buy the HE400s, you should request that they be shipped with velour pads instead of the default pleathers; that or get both and try each out. Over in our HE400 thread everyone is much more satisfied with the velour pads both in terms of comfort and in sonic qualities.
Edited by jerg - 6/9/12 at 10:44ampost #688 of 9376/18/12 at 12:34am
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 37 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › First ever 8-driver / side silicone CIEMs: the Harmony 8 and 8Pro... 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier #11567 2 minutes ago
- › Best headphone for FiiO X3? 3 minutes ago
- › Dre Beats Studio DIY teardown and modify question... 3 minutes ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-06-30 5 minutes ago
- › meet in AZ 6 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Merlin Appreciation Thread (All review and impression... 11 minutes ago
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)