Am I getting the wrong message from this thread if they've made me reconsider sticking with my HD 650s and upgrading my source and amp?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 9/30/16 at 11:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
I think it is more of a smartphone gadget, than audiophiles device. It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. My subjective review of the sound: A little...
Introduction Simgot is a new name in Asian audio that is getting some attention with their new EN700 model. Supposedly, some that were involved in tuning the Ostry IEMs have tuned this one, so...
Have had these for a loooong time. Now that I've got older ears, I don't really hear the beautiful crystal-like treble anymore, but I'm sure it's still there. :)
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 24post #346 of 93710/4/11 at 5:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #347 of 93710/4/11 at 6:13am
I wouldn't care too much about amps and sources once you're on certain level. Your E9 has a low output impedance so everything's fine there. Other hardware might sound a little bit better but will cost really much so it's easier to save the money and get some better headphones later.post #348 of 93710/4/11 at 6:36amQuote:Originally Posted by LFF
If you search in some threads, I commented about the problems with the HE-300 before they were measured. Purrin, AFAIK, didn't read those comments and he also commented on the exact same problems when he heard them. The measurements confirmed it.
Anyway, the point I am making is that I feel that Purrin's measurement methodology accurately portrays exactly what I believe I am hearing. I honestly feel that no other measurements I have seen accurately portray what I am hearing. They get close but not as close as Purrin's.
FWIW, Fang has made some changes to the HE-300.
I too see Purrins measurements as the most informative I've seen.post #349 of 93710/4/11 at 7:27amQuote:
The 650 is a great headphone .... I've been saying so for years.post #350 of 93710/4/11 at 11:15am
20 of your favorite classical CD's will do nicely to ease the pain. j/k I'm still gonna get bone phones at some point. And send them to Purrin for measurements of course!!! I can only imagine all the good pick up lines one could use when wearing bone phones in public.post #351 of 93710/4/11 at 1:32pmQuote:
Happy to hear the HE-300 have received some changes...hopefully for the better.
Tyll....your measurements are extremely informative as well.
Quote:Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
20 of your favorite classical CD's will do nicely to ease the pain. j/k I'm still gonna get bone phones at some point. And send them to Purrin for measurements of course!!! I can only imagine all the good pick up lines one could use when wearing bone phones in public.
20...I don't think I have remastered that many classical albums this whole year.
Bone Phones huh.....I like the name.post #352 of 93710/4/11 at 1:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by Zuglufttier
I wouldn't care too much about amps and sources once you're on certain level. Your E9 has a low output impedance so everything's fine there. Other hardware might sound a little bit better but will cost really much so it's easier to save the money and get some better headphones later.
I disagree, 10ohms and 43 ohms are not ideal. The E9 is sufficient for the price but don't fool yourself, the E9 would be the weak link to the 650 or whatever upgraded phone you get. Of course you could spend more and do worse if you don't know better.post #353 of 93710/4/11 at 1:56pmQuote:
You're right, I thought the E9 had an output imdepance comparable to the E7 or E5 e.g...post #354 of 93710/4/11 at 3:16pmpost #355 of 93710/5/11 at 12:50amThread StarterQuote:
The HD650 really starts to shine with a better amp and source. "Upgrading" your headphone may end up as more of a sidestep at this point for you.post #356 of 93710/5/11 at 12:51amThread Starter
Working on it, although it's not high priority right now.post #357 of 93710/5/11 at 2:25am
All this talk about Sennheiser HD-650's. Although I had a pair of Koss ESP-9's back in 1971*, what really got me started back on this headphone thing was a pair of HD-580's I got in about 2004. Then it was AKG-701's...HD-650's....HD-800's....LCD-2's....SR-007's.......aiyeeee!!!!!
I wonder what the CSD plot of the ESP-9 looks like?
*Harman Kardon Citation 12 power amp, SAE preamp; Shure V15-III phono cartridge, AR XA plattenspieler... Akai GX-365 open reel... yes, FORTY YEARS AGO. I even worked for Koss for one summer, 1976 I think it was. I worked with the chief engineer Jake Turner to wire the audio systems in John Koss' mansion, he had a bunch of Koss electrostatic speakers and Ampzilla power amps set up. Don't recall the preamp used, etc. Had headphone jacks with L-Pads all over the place, in wall plates. So long ago....post #358 of 93710/5/11 at 3:09amQuote:
Yeah, that's what meant...the HD plots well, so maybe the weakness is my source or drive. I've got a Music Streamer ii+, so the amp should come next...but which one? DACmini maybe?post #359 of 93710/6/11 at 6:29pm
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Why do we pay $300 for headphones that cost $30 to manufacture? 30 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 33 seconds ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 - Flagship ciem reload ! 4 minutes ago
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 6 minutes ago
- › Fitear ToGo 334 $1149 OBO 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 7 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio - PHANTOM AIR - The worlds FIRST tuneable truly... 8 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...