Am I getting the wrong message from this thread if they've made me reconsider sticking with my HD 650s and upgrading my source and amp?
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones
- itemFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphones
- itemGrado Head Fi Series HF2 Headphones
- itemGrado HP 1000
- itemGrado SR80i Headphones
- itemKoss ESP 950 Electrostatic Stereophone
- categoryOver Ear
- itemSennheiser HD 800 Headphones
- itemStax SR 009 Electrostatic Headphones
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 10/23/12 at 11:27pm in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
- Something has got to be wrong with my system, please help me solve it! Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 3/28/13 at 3:57pm in High-end Audio Forum
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Edited on 9/19/11
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
Related Head Gear
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 24post #346 of 93210/4/11 at 5:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #347 of 93210/4/11 at 6:13am
I wouldn't care too much about amps and sources once you're on certain level. Your E9 has a low output impedance so everything's fine there. Other hardware might sound a little bit better but will cost really much so it's easier to save the money and get some better headphones later.post #348 of 93210/4/11 at 6:36amQuote:Originally Posted by LFF
If you search in some threads, I commented about the problems with the HE-300 before they were measured. Purrin, AFAIK, didn't read those comments and he also commented on the exact same problems when he heard them. The measurements confirmed it.
Anyway, the point I am making is that I feel that Purrin's measurement methodology accurately portrays exactly what I believe I am hearing. I honestly feel that no other measurements I have seen accurately portray what I am hearing. They get close but not as close as Purrin's.
FWIW, Fang has made some changes to the HE-300.
I too see Purrins measurements as the most informative I've seen.post #349 of 93210/4/11 at 7:27amQuote:
The 650 is a great headphone .... I've been saying so for years.post #350 of 93210/4/11 at 11:15am
20 of your favorite classical CD's will do nicely to ease the pain. j/k I'm still gonna get bone phones at some point. And send them to Purrin for measurements of course!!! I can only imagine all the good pick up lines one could use when wearing bone phones in public.post #351 of 93210/4/11 at 1:32pmQuote:
Happy to hear the HE-300 have received some changes...hopefully for the better.
Tyll....your measurements are extremely informative as well.
Quote:Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
20 of your favorite classical CD's will do nicely to ease the pain. j/k I'm still gonna get bone phones at some point. And send them to Purrin for measurements of course!!! I can only imagine all the good pick up lines one could use when wearing bone phones in public.
20...I don't think I have remastered that many classical albums this whole year.
Bone Phones huh.....I like the name.post #352 of 93210/4/11 at 1:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by Zuglufttier
I wouldn't care too much about amps and sources once you're on certain level. Your E9 has a low output impedance so everything's fine there. Other hardware might sound a little bit better but will cost really much so it's easier to save the money and get some better headphones later.
I disagree, 10ohms and 43 ohms are not ideal. The E9 is sufficient for the price but don't fool yourself, the E9 would be the weak link to the 650 or whatever upgraded phone you get. Of course you could spend more and do worse if you don't know better.post #353 of 93210/4/11 at 1:56pmQuote:
You're right, I thought the E9 had an output imdepance comparable to the E7 or E5 e.g...post #354 of 93210/4/11 at 3:16pmpost #355 of 93210/5/11 at 12:50amThread StarterQuote:
The HD650 really starts to shine with a better amp and source. "Upgrading" your headphone may end up as more of a sidestep at this point for you.post #356 of 93210/5/11 at 12:51amThread Starter
Working on it, although it's not high priority right now.post #357 of 93210/5/11 at 2:25am
All this talk about Sennheiser HD-650's. Although I had a pair of Koss ESP-9's back in 1971*, what really got me started back on this headphone thing was a pair of HD-580's I got in about 2004. Then it was AKG-701's...HD-650's....HD-800's....LCD-2's....SR-007's.......aiyeeee!!!!!
I wonder what the CSD plot of the ESP-9 looks like?
*Harman Kardon Citation 12 power amp, SAE preamp; Shure V15-III phono cartridge, AR XA plattenspieler... Akai GX-365 open reel... yes, FORTY YEARS AGO. I even worked for Koss for one summer, 1976 I think it was. I worked with the chief engineer Jake Turner to wire the audio systems in John Koss' mansion, he had a bunch of Koss electrostatic speakers and Ampzilla power amps set up. Don't recall the preamp used, etc. Had headphone jacks with L-Pads all over the place, in wall plates. So long ago....post #358 of 93210/5/11 at 3:09amQuote:
Yeah, that's what meant...the HD plots well, so maybe the weakness is my source or drive. I've got a Music Streamer ii+, so the amp should come next...but which one? DACmini maybe?post #359 of 93210/6/11 at 6:29pm
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 23 seconds ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 45 seconds ago
- › I have stopped using headphones, switched to Speakers and Sub-woofer. 53 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 59 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment 2 minutes ago
- › philips fidelio x1 vs hifiman he-400 (stronger natural midrange?) 4 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 Review (caution: long read). 4 minutes ago
- › LA Head-Fiers: MAY 31-June 2 Headphonium Event @ THE Show Newport... 5 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by TheGame21x
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 by cravenz
- › Burson Audio Soloist Amp by DutchGFX
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by shdl83
- › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From... by thatBeatsguy
- › Resonessence Labs Concero by planx
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Sennheiser Momentum by iSennheiser
- › [Apollo] IEM Upgrade Cable by Effect Audio by ClieOS
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe