Am I getting the wrong message from this thread if they've made me reconsider sticking with my HD 650s and upgrading my source and amp?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 9/4/14 at 3:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
- Something has got to be wrong with my system, please help me solve it! Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 24post #346 of 93710/4/11 at 5:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #347 of 93710/4/11 at 6:13am
I wouldn't care too much about amps and sources once you're on certain level. Your E9 has a low output impedance so everything's fine there. Other hardware might sound a little bit better but will cost really much so it's easier to save the money and get some better headphones later.post #348 of 93710/4/11 at 6:36amQuote:Originally Posted by LFF
If you search in some threads, I commented about the problems with the HE-300 before they were measured. Purrin, AFAIK, didn't read those comments and he also commented on the exact same problems when he heard them. The measurements confirmed it.
Anyway, the point I am making is that I feel that Purrin's measurement methodology accurately portrays exactly what I believe I am hearing. I honestly feel that no other measurements I have seen accurately portray what I am hearing. They get close but not as close as Purrin's.
FWIW, Fang has made some changes to the HE-300.
I too see Purrins measurements as the most informative I've seen.post #349 of 93710/4/11 at 7:27amQuote:
The 650 is a great headphone .... I've been saying so for years.post #350 of 93710/4/11 at 11:15am
20 of your favorite classical CD's will do nicely to ease the pain. j/k I'm still gonna get bone phones at some point. And send them to Purrin for measurements of course!!! I can only imagine all the good pick up lines one could use when wearing bone phones in public.post #351 of 93710/4/11 at 1:32pmQuote:
Happy to hear the HE-300 have received some changes...hopefully for the better.
Tyll....your measurements are extremely informative as well.
Quote:Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
20 of your favorite classical CD's will do nicely to ease the pain. j/k I'm still gonna get bone phones at some point. And send them to Purrin for measurements of course!!! I can only imagine all the good pick up lines one could use when wearing bone phones in public.
20...I don't think I have remastered that many classical albums this whole year.
Bone Phones huh.....I like the name.post #352 of 93710/4/11 at 1:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by Zuglufttier
I wouldn't care too much about amps and sources once you're on certain level. Your E9 has a low output impedance so everything's fine there. Other hardware might sound a little bit better but will cost really much so it's easier to save the money and get some better headphones later.
I disagree, 10ohms and 43 ohms are not ideal. The E9 is sufficient for the price but don't fool yourself, the E9 would be the weak link to the 650 or whatever upgraded phone you get. Of course you could spend more and do worse if you don't know better.post #353 of 93710/4/11 at 1:56pmQuote:
You're right, I thought the E9 had an output imdepance comparable to the E7 or E5 e.g...post #354 of 93710/4/11 at 3:16pmpost #355 of 93710/5/11 at 12:50amThread StarterQuote:
The HD650 really starts to shine with a better amp and source. "Upgrading" your headphone may end up as more of a sidestep at this point for you.post #356 of 93710/5/11 at 12:51amThread Starter
Working on it, although it's not high priority right now.post #357 of 93710/5/11 at 2:25am
All this talk about Sennheiser HD-650's. Although I had a pair of Koss ESP-9's back in 1971*, what really got me started back on this headphone thing was a pair of HD-580's I got in about 2004. Then it was AKG-701's...HD-650's....HD-800's....LCD-2's....SR-007's.......aiyeeee!!!!!
I wonder what the CSD plot of the ESP-9 looks like?
*Harman Kardon Citation 12 power amp, SAE preamp; Shure V15-III phono cartridge, AR XA plattenspieler... Akai GX-365 open reel... yes, FORTY YEARS AGO. I even worked for Koss for one summer, 1976 I think it was. I worked with the chief engineer Jake Turner to wire the audio systems in John Koss' mansion, he had a bunch of Koss electrostatic speakers and Ampzilla power amps set up. Don't recall the preamp used, etc. Had headphone jacks with L-Pads all over the place, in wall plates. So long ago....post #358 of 93710/5/11 at 3:09amQuote:
Yeah, that's what meant...the HD plots well, so maybe the weakness is my source or drive. I've got a Music Streamer ii+, so the amp should come next...but which one? DACmini maybe?post #359 of 93710/6/11 at 6:29pm
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › I got a Denon AVR-2802 for free. Worth building a system around it? 3 seconds ago
- › First Impressions: ALO Audio the "National" Portable Headphone Amp... 5 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 1 minute ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? 2 minutes ago
- › Can you guys help me choose between these headphones? 2 minutes ago
- › Recommend Speakers for my room? 2 minutes ago
- › Help***Leaving Sales FeedBack 2 minutes ago
- › Any other kid head-fiers? 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)