Am I getting the wrong message from this thread if they've made me reconsider sticking with my HD 650s and upgrading my source and amp?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 4/12/14 at 11:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
- Something has got to be wrong with my system, please help me solve it! Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 24post #346 of 93710/4/11 at 5:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #347 of 93710/4/11 at 6:13am
I wouldn't care too much about amps and sources once you're on certain level. Your E9 has a low output impedance so everything's fine there. Other hardware might sound a little bit better but will cost really much so it's easier to save the money and get some better headphones later.post #348 of 93710/4/11 at 6:36amQuote:Originally Posted by LFF
If you search in some threads, I commented about the problems with the HE-300 before they were measured. Purrin, AFAIK, didn't read those comments and he also commented on the exact same problems when he heard them. The measurements confirmed it.
Anyway, the point I am making is that I feel that Purrin's measurement methodology accurately portrays exactly what I believe I am hearing. I honestly feel that no other measurements I have seen accurately portray what I am hearing. They get close but not as close as Purrin's.
FWIW, Fang has made some changes to the HE-300.
I too see Purrins measurements as the most informative I've seen.post #349 of 93710/4/11 at 7:27amQuote:
The 650 is a great headphone .... I've been saying so for years.post #350 of 93710/4/11 at 11:15am
20 of your favorite classical CD's will do nicely to ease the pain. j/k I'm still gonna get bone phones at some point. And send them to Purrin for measurements of course!!! I can only imagine all the good pick up lines one could use when wearing bone phones in public.post #351 of 93710/4/11 at 1:32pmQuote:
Happy to hear the HE-300 have received some changes...hopefully for the better.
Tyll....your measurements are extremely informative as well.
Quote:Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
20 of your favorite classical CD's will do nicely to ease the pain. j/k I'm still gonna get bone phones at some point. And send them to Purrin for measurements of course!!! I can only imagine all the good pick up lines one could use when wearing bone phones in public.
20...I don't think I have remastered that many classical albums this whole year.
Bone Phones huh.....I like the name.post #352 of 93710/4/11 at 1:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by Zuglufttier
I wouldn't care too much about amps and sources once you're on certain level. Your E9 has a low output impedance so everything's fine there. Other hardware might sound a little bit better but will cost really much so it's easier to save the money and get some better headphones later.
I disagree, 10ohms and 43 ohms are not ideal. The E9 is sufficient for the price but don't fool yourself, the E9 would be the weak link to the 650 or whatever upgraded phone you get. Of course you could spend more and do worse if you don't know better.post #353 of 93710/4/11 at 1:56pmQuote:
You're right, I thought the E9 had an output imdepance comparable to the E7 or E5 e.g...post #354 of 93710/4/11 at 3:16pmpost #355 of 93710/5/11 at 12:50amThread StarterQuote:
The HD650 really starts to shine with a better amp and source. "Upgrading" your headphone may end up as more of a sidestep at this point for you.post #356 of 93710/5/11 at 12:51amThread Starter
Working on it, although it's not high priority right now.post #357 of 93710/5/11 at 2:25am
All this talk about Sennheiser HD-650's. Although I had a pair of Koss ESP-9's back in 1971*, what really got me started back on this headphone thing was a pair of HD-580's I got in about 2004. Then it was AKG-701's...HD-650's....HD-800's....LCD-2's....SR-007's.......aiyeeee!!!!!
I wonder what the CSD plot of the ESP-9 looks like?
*Harman Kardon Citation 12 power amp, SAE preamp; Shure V15-III phono cartridge, AR XA plattenspieler... Akai GX-365 open reel... yes, FORTY YEARS AGO. I even worked for Koss for one summer, 1976 I think it was. I worked with the chief engineer Jake Turner to wire the audio systems in John Koss' mansion, he had a bunch of Koss electrostatic speakers and Ampzilla power amps set up. Don't recall the preamp used, etc. Had headphone jacks with L-Pads all over the place, in wall plates. So long ago....post #358 of 93710/5/11 at 3:09amQuote:
Yeah, that's what meant...the HD plots well, so maybe the weakness is my source or drive. I've got a Music Streamer ii+, so the amp should come next...but which one? DACmini maybe?post #359 of 93710/6/11 at 6:29pm
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › The Basshead Club 16 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 41 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 50 seconds ago
- › Best closed back headphone for gaming 1 minute ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. LATEST Specifications just added.... 1 minute ago
- › Speakers recommendation for desktop 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HM-700 impressions 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob