Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New guy here, suggest me some upgrades!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New guy here, suggest me some upgrades!

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hey all, been lurking on this forum for almost a year now, but finally decided to join the community.  So here are some of the gear I have right now.

 

Desktop Setup

Source:  HTR Music Streamer II+ USB DAC

Amp:  Little Dot MkIII with M8100/CV4010 upgraded driver tubes, a pair of Voshod 6ZH1P-EV is also coming in a few days

Headphones:  Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohms

 

Portable

Source: Ipod classic or HTC Evo that I use to stream music

IEMs:  Westone 3, Ultimate Ear Super.fi 5 Pro

 

I also have the Fiio E7 and E9 combo which I originally used to drive the DT990, but found out the setup is a not quite good enough for the cans' potential.  So I am planning to get rid of them, along with my trusted (but a little bassy) Westone 3, which is just sitting around gathering dust now.

 

The setup I have for the DT990 is pretty much perfect for the moment, but I just find the mid a little recessed and not quite as resolved as I would like.  I listen to a wide range of music from classical all the way to trance/electronic.  The thing I really like about the current setup is the punchy but accurate bass and the clear treble, which can be a little too much sometimes, especially on some of the poorly mastered electronic recordings.

 

So here is the question: what should I upgrade next?  I am thinking of saving up for the Beyerdynamic T1, which should go along with my Little dot MkIII.  Or maybe the LCD-2, but that probably require me to upgrade amp also.  Don't think the MkIII has enough power to drive the LCD-2.

 

Any suggestion of what should I get?  I should be able to get quite a bit of money back from selling some of my current gears, so I will be alright spending no more than $1200.

 

Thanks in advance!


Edited by Cloud9Blue - 8/12/11 at 6:23pm
post #2 of 25

LCD-2 is a good choice, check how much power your amp pulls though.

 

If you want just cheap, a Shure 940 will give you some good sound that touches the flagships.

 

 

In truth, if you have to upgrade your entire system for a flagship, pass on it and go lower like the 940, Pro900, K701, sr325i

 

I'd go SR325i to feel welcome and get a RA-1 amp for them. And yes, Grado amp is best for grado can. But the RA-1 will not work with anything less then Grado 

post #3 of 25

MkIII doesn't have enough power to drive your DT990s so you could just upgrade the amp... Woo Audio 2, Darkvoice 336/337 would be a cheap alternative. The T1 isn't a natural upgrade in my opinion, in comparison to the DT880 I found the bass artificial with more thump but less air. I also listen to a lot of electronica, majority really but now and again I enjoy classical and folk, the DT880 with an OTL amp could be a step in the right direction. 

post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue View Post

So here is the question: what should I upgrade next?  I am thinking of saving up for the Beyerdynamic T1, which should go along with my Little dot MkIII.  Or maybe the LCD-2, but that probably require me to upgrade amp also.  Don't think the MkIII has enough power to drive the LCD-2.

 

Any suggestion of what should I get?  I should be able to get quite a bit of money back from selling some of my current gears, so I will be alright spending no more than $1200.

 

Thanks in advance!


Heya,

 

The LCD-2 can be powered by a portable. The LDMKIII is more than enough to power it. The E9 can power it. You're fine there. The only issue with the LCD-2 is that it's a heavy headphone and a lot of people have problems wearing it for long periods of time. The Beyer T1 is comfortable. I recently got the Hifiman HE-500. You may want to look at that too.

 

If you aren't ready to buy a high-end flagship can, the SRH940 will pretty much amaze you on your Little Dot MK III.

 

Very best,

 

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

MkIII doesn't have enough power to drive your DT990s so you could just upgrade the amp... Woo Audio 2, Darkvoice 336/337 would be a cheap alternative. The T1 isn't a natural upgrade in my opinion, in comparison to the DT880 I found the bass artificial with more thump but less air. I also listen to a lot of electronica, majority really but now and again I enjoy classical and folk, the DT880 with an OTL amp could be a step in the right direction. 


You sure the MkIII doesn't have enough power to drive the DT990s?  From what I have seen so far on the forum, it is a very popular combination as the warmness of the tube smooth out the occasional harshness of the cans.  

 

post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

The LCD-2 can be powered by a portable. The LDMKIII is more than enough to power it. The E9 can power it. You're fine there. The only issue with the LCD-2 is that it's a heavy headphone and a lot of people have problems wearing it for long periods of time. The Beyer T1 is comfortable. I recently got the Hifiman HE-500. You may want to look at that too.

 

If you aren't ready to buy a high-end flagship can, the SRH940 will pretty much amaze you on your Little Dot MK III.

 

Very best,

 



That's good to hear.  However, I am trying to stay away from closed headphones.  To me, having a wide and airy soundstage is very critical to me, and I don't think any closed cans can produce the same result that you can get from a good open headphones.

post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

LCD-2 is a good choice, check how much power your amp pulls though.

 

If you want just cheap, a Shure 940 will give you some good sound that touches the flagships.

 

 

In truth, if you have to upgrade your entire system for a flagship, pass on it and go lower like the 940, Pro900, K701, sr325i

 

I'd go SR325i to feel welcome and get a RA-1 amp for them. And yes, Grado amp is best for grado can. But the RA-1 will not work with anything less then Grado 



How much power is enough for LCD-2?   I am having some hard time to pull up the detailed specs on LCD-2.

post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue View Post





How much power is enough for LCD-2?   I am having some hard time to pull up the detailed specs on LCD-2.


Sensitivity of the LCD-2 is I believe 91 dB @ 1mW with a 50 ohm impedance, unless things changed with rev2. Any dedicated desktop or portable amp should power the lcd2 no problem. A quick look at the ld mkiii page says it can push 100 mW into 32 ohms, which is more than enough. It will likely be a bit higher into 50 ohms anyway.
 

 

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue View Post





How much power is enough for LCD-2?   I am having some hard time to pull up the detailed specs on LCD-2.



Here:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audeze-lcd-2-leather.php

 

50ohm, but always best to drive them at the best power. 

 

You can go for them, great cans but I'm not a person who likes to go above, well, the $300 level since everything above doesn't do a HUGE improvement, 

post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue View Post

You sure the MkIII doesn't have enough power to drive the DT990s?  From what I have seen so far on the forum, it is a very popular combination as the warmness of the tube smooth out the occasional harshness of the cans.  

 


Yes absolutely. It's a popular combination because owners keep recommending it so it spreads, little to their knowledge the phones don't sound anything like they do on a DV336 or WA2. Upgrading to an OTL amp that can sufficiently power your phones will be a significant upgrade.

post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post


Yes absolutely. It's a popular combination because owners keep recommending it so it spreads, little to their knowledge the phones don't sound anything like they do on a DV336 or WA2. Upgrading to an OTL amp that can sufficiently power your phones will be a significant upgrade.



That's rather interesting.  Although I am having a hard time imagining the DT990 can sound any better than it is right now.  So you think that it is worth it to build a better a system around the DT990?

post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post



Here:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audeze-lcd-2-leather.php

 

50ohm, but always best to drive them at the best power. 

 

You can go for them, great cans but I'm not a person who likes to go above, well, the $300 level since everything above doesn't do a HUGE improvement, 



That's what I have been getting too.  Maybe it is better that I just stay within the $300-400 range for now.  You think HD650 or HD600 is good for a more resolved mid-range? 

post #13 of 25

You can drive the LCD-2 with anything really. It's been tested briefly with iphones and other portables out of the box and it's done fine.

 

That being said, the tonality could improve with a decent amp. Just buy what you're comfortable with. If you're not comfortable spending money on an amp, the LCD2 is going to sound better than the HD600 and 650 out of the box just plugged into your source half the time.

 

$899 is a huge commitment, but the HE-500 from the session I had with was one of the best listening experiences I've EVER had! As for the LCD-2, my friend on the forums talks about it constantly as being better than the HE-500 so I think you can put off any amp purchases for a while and be more than happy.

 

**LOL**

 

I just read the first post, dude you have an E9 coupled with a decent source. You're going to be fine!!!

 

Pick up the LCD2, and then just buy what you can afford later, but the E9 is definitely more than enough for the 2's.

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

You can drive the LCD-2 with anything really. It's been tested briefly with iphones and other portables out of the box and it's done fine.

 

That being said, the tonality could improve with a decent amp. Just buy what you're comfortable with. If you're not comfortable spending money on an amp, the LCD2 is going to sound better than the HD600 and 650 out of the box just plugged into your source half the time.

 

$899 is a huge commitment, but the HE-500 from the session I had with was one of the best listening experiences I've EVER had! As for the LCD-2, my friend on the forums talks about it constantly as being better than the HE-500 so I think you can put off any amp purchases for a while and be more than happy.

 

**LOL**

 

I just read the first post, dude you have an E9 coupled with a decent source. You're going to be fine!!!

 

Pick up the LCD2, and then just buy what you can afford later, but the E9 is definitely more than enough for the 2's.


Actually I am running a Little Dot MkIII atm.  E9 was what I used to run the DT990 from.  Well, if E9 is enough, MkIII should be good too.  Think I just gonna pick up a LCD-2 as soon as I sell my Westone 3 and E7/E9 combo.  Any suggestion for where to buy LCD-2?  I don't mind getting a used one, but most of them put on sale on the forum are rev. 1.  Think I gonna go with the upgraded drivers on the rev. 2.

 

post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue View Post




Actually I am running a Little Dot MkIII atm.  E9 was what I used to run the DT990 from.  Well, if E9 is enough, MkIII should be good too.  Think I just gonna pick up a LCD-2 as soon as I sell my Westone 3 and E7/E9 combo.  Any suggestion for where to buy LCD-2?  I don't mind getting a used one, but most of them put on sale on the forum are rev. 1.  Think I gonna go with the upgraded drivers on the rev. 2.

 



I wouldn't know, I have never been in the market to buy one, remember? I just know amps somewhat well and where the LCD-2 stands in comparison to other headphones. 

 

Order them from HeadRoom. Ask them to draw a unicorn on the box. They apparently take requests for pics now in the "comment" section and post pics haha. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New guy here, suggest me some upgrades!