Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 47

post #691 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefalkon View Post

 



You might have to get the 80gb back to fit the thicker board and the 240gb drive.

 

I have an 80gb back at the moment, so that's not the problem.

 

Did anyone try the 256GB Crucial mSata? (http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT256M4SSD3)

 

256GB SSD with rockbox and maybe 2 batteries would be awesome.

post #692 of 3581

I just did a CF mod with the Tarkan adapter. I used a maxell 64 Gb CF card like this one:

 

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N2TZCGZPtMr/p_170504405/Maxell-CompactFlash-Card-64GB.html

 

Anyway, its coming up as 60 Gb available and I know sometimes these are a bit off but this seems extreme. Anyone else have this issue?

post #693 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

I just did a CF mod with the Tarkan adapter. I used a maxell 64 Gb CF card like this one:

 

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N2TZCGZPtMr/p_170504405/Maxell-CompactFlash-Card-64GB.html

 

Anyway, its coming up as 60 Gb available and I know sometimes these are a bit off but this seems extreme. Anyone else have this issue?


Did you format it using the HP USB format utility? That is how you get...using windows...the full 64gb.

post #694 of 3581
No...I had better figure out how to do that. Any quick and dirty tip?
post #695 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleinzel View Post

 

I have an 80gb back at the moment, so that's not the problem.

 

Did anyone try the 256GB Crucial mSata? (http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT256M4SSD3)

 

256GB SSD with rockbox and maybe 2 batteries would be awesome.

 

Don't think anyone has tried the 256GB mSATA. Still waiting for DockEllis to confirm if Rockbox can run on his 128GB Crucial mSata.

Come on DockEllis please don't keep us waiting for too long. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

I just did a CF mod with the Tarkan adapter. I used a maxell 64 Gb CF card like this one:

 

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N2TZCGZPtMr/p_170504405/Maxell-CompactFlash-Card-64GB.html

 

Anyway, its coming up as 60 Gb available and I know sometimes these are a bit off but this seems extreme. Anyone else have this issue?

 

For $30 more I would get this CF for 128 GB.

post #696 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

 

 

 

For $30 more I would get this CF for 128 GB.

Actually, I only paid $65 for it, that was just a link  I pulled up real quick. 

 

Anyhow, I tried the HP USB format utility, and I am getting a message the drive is "write protected"

post #697 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

Actually, I only paid $65 for it, that was just a link  I pulled up real quick. 

 

Anyhow, I tried the HP USB format utility, and I am getting a message the drive is "write protected"


I had that happen too. Rebooting the computer and trying again fixed it.

post #698 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

 

Anyhow, I tried the HP USB format utility, and I am getting a message the drive is "write protected"

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefalkon View Post


I had that happen too. Rebooting the computer and trying again fixed it.

 Ugh. Tried that, does not work, I can only recover in I Tunes then it's 60 Gb again. Any ideas? Anybody?

post #699 of 3581

i formatted it and i cant get the restore to show up on itunes :(

post #700 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrobe View Post

I just did a CF mod with the Tarkan adapter. I used a maxell 64 Gb CF card like this one:

 

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N2TZCGZPtMr/p_170504405/Maxell-CompactFlash-Card-64GB.html

 

Anyway, its coming up as 60 Gb available and I know sometimes these are a bit off but this seems extreme. Anyone else have this issue?

 

Well I just checked the card you bought against the list of cards known to work perfectly and there are no Maxell's on the list at all.

 

Here's the list:

 

Known to work:-
7dayshop 300x 32Gb
A-Data Speedy 8Gb
A-Data Speedy 16Gb (some reports of filesystem problems, could be card specific)
A-Data Speedy 32Gb
A-Data Speedy 533x 32Gb (new) (reported ok on 6th gen Classic and up)
Apacer Photo Steno III 133x 16Gb
AXTREMEX UDMA 600x 128Gb
CnMemory 80x First Class Gold 32GB (5g reported ok)
CnMemory 300x Ultra High Speed Edition 32GB (6g & 7g – not tested on 5g yet)
Dolgix 133x 32Gb
Dolgix 133x 64Gb
Duracell 133x 32Gb (Dane-Elec)
Duracell ProPhoto 32gb 300x UDMA (DU-CF30-32G-C)
ExtreMEmory Performance 16Gb
Hirsch x64 16Gb
Kingston Elite Pro 133x 8Gb
Kingston Elite Pro 133x 16Gb
Kingston Elite Pro 133x 32Gb
Kingston Elite Pro S2 32Gb
Kingston Ultimate 266x 16Gb (5g, 5.5g)
Kingston Ultimate 266x 32Gb (all including 6g up)
Komputerbay Professional High Speed 266x 32Gb
Komputerbay Professional Extreme Speed UDMA6 (90Mb/s) 600x 64Gb
Komputerbay Professional Extreme Speed UDMA6 (90Mb/s) 600x 128Gb
Lexar Platinum II 80x 4Gb
Lexar Platinum II 80x 8Gb
Lexar Platinum II 200x 16Gb
Lexar Professional 300x 8gb
Lexar Professional 800x 128gb (6g, 6.5g, 7g)
MemoryStar Professional 400x 32Gb
Mustang Interlagos 32Gb 633x
Patriot Signature 8Gb 266x (PSF8G266CF)
Patriot Signature 64Gb 266x
Peak Technology 16Gb
Photofast 533X 64Gb
Pretec 233x 32Gb
Pretec 233x 64Gb (Reported 6th gen and up)
Samsung OEM 150x (ebay) 16Gb
Samsung OEM 150x (ebay) 32Gb
Sandisk Ultra II (all capacities)
Sandisk Extreme 60Mb/s UDMA 400x 32Gb
Sandisk Extreme III (all capacities) (excludes new 30Mb/s 2008 models)
SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB (90Mb/s)
Silicon Power 32GB CF200X
TakeMS Hyperspeed 120x 32Gb
Topram (Ebay and Amazon) 32Gb (Possible problems with 6g Classics)
Transcend 133x 8Gb
Transcend 133x 16Gb (Restore Loop problem for cards purchased since Feb 2009)
Transcend 133x 32Gb (Restore Loop problem for cards purchased since Feb 2009)
Transcend 400x 32Gb (TS32GCF400) (newer cards have restore loop issues 5g/5.5g)
Transcend 400x 64Gb (TS32GCF400) (newer cards have restore loop issues 5g/5.5g)
WINTEC Filemate Professional 400x 8Gb (3FMCF8GBS-R)
WINTEC FileMate Professional 400x 32GB
WINTEC FileMate Professional 600x 64GB

 

Known not to work:-
Apacer 133x 32gb
Hama 2Gb
PQI 32Gb
Ridata Lighting Series 233x 16Gb
Ridata Lighting Series 233x 32Gb
Samsung OEM 280x (ebay) 4Gb
Samsung OEM 280x (ebay) 8Gb
Samsung OEM 280x (ebay) 16Gb
Sandisk Extreme III 8Gb (30Mb/s 2008 version)
Sandisk Extreme III 16GB (30Mb/s 2008 version)
Silicon Systems ssd-c64mi-3012 64gb
Topram (ebay) 16Gb

post #701 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefalkon View Post

 

Well I just checked the card you bought against the list of cards known to work perfectly and there are no Maxell's on the list at all.

 

Here's the list:

 

Yeah, thanks for the help. I rolled the dice on this one, hoping it would work well. I saw a post awhile back somewhere that a member here used the Maxell one and it worked.  Oh well, 60 gb is pretty decent, at least until I get another card - maybe I will use this one in a camera.

 

One more thought - when formatting using the HP format tool, should I have the card alone in just a card reader? I have been trying to do it while in the ipod and connected via USB, then it starts erasing,etc then I get the "media is write protected" message. Then the only way to get it to work again is through itunes recovery.

 

Oh, and rockbox works fine, everything is fine except that missing 4Gb.

Thanks again

post #702 of 3581

As with all disk or flash based storage, there is a discrepancy between the advertised size and the formatted space available to the user. It has to do with the numbering convention used by manufacturers and the one used by computer operating systems.

 

Storage manufacturers define prefixes like mega- or giga- in terms of powers of 1000.

Operating systems such as Windows or Linux define these prefixes in powers of 1024.

Newer version of OS X (10.6 and up) define the prefixes in powers or 1000.

 

A 64 GB drive according to the manufacturer has 64,000,000,000 bytes. When read by the operating system this capacity is interpreted as 64,000,000,000 / 1024^3 = 59.6046 GB.

 

This discrepancy is also apparent with the stock iPod hard drive, any memory card or USB flash drive, and the hard drive in your computer.

 

So in short, the reported capacity of 60 GB is normal.

post #703 of 3581
The ipod doesnt show up on itunes

Any ideas?

Using the komputer 120gb one
Edited by GodOfDeath - 12/18/12 at 10:37am
post #704 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeStRuCtEd View Post


A 64 GB drive according to the manufacturer has 64,000,000,000 bytes. When read by the operating system this capacity is interpreted as 64,000,000,000 / 1024^3 = 59.6046 GB.

 

Rockbox shows 110GB for my 120GB HDD.

post #705 of 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeStRuCtEd View Post

As with all disk or flash based storage, there is a discrepancy between the advertised size and the formatted space available to the user. It has to do with the numbering convention used by manufacturers and the one used by computer operating systems.

 

Storage manufacturers define prefixes like mega- or giga- in terms of powers of 1000.

Operating systems such as Windows or Linux define these prefixes in powers of 1024.

Newer version of OS X (10.6 and up) define the prefixes in powers or 1000.

 

A 64 GB drive according to the manufacturer has 64,000,000,000 bytes. When read by the operating system this capacity is interpreted as 64,000,000,000 / 1024^3 = 59.6046 GB.

 

This discrepancy is also apparent with the stock iPod hard drive, any memory card or USB flash drive, and the hard drive in your computer.

 

So in short, the reported capacity of 60 GB is normal.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

 

Rockbox shows 110GB for my 120GB HDD.

Thanks for the replies (and icefalcon too) 

So I will go ahead and be satisfied...and consider it a success..my CF mod 5.5 gen ipod has now doubled the capacity to 60 Gb and is running Rockbox. Good stuff.

 

Now next step is to go ahead with the diy imod, now that I see how much extra room I've got inside. Gotta get ready for some tiny tiny soldering!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread