Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 40

post #586 of 4312

^ Indeed. I am also keenly interested in hearing about DockEllis' update. Please keep us posted, thank you DockEllis.

I have a 80GB 5.5 gen with CF mod + Rockbox at the moment. Does anyone know if Hifiman RE-262s hiss with stock headphone output of 5.5 gen? If there is no hiss, I am buying RE-262s. All my current IEMs hiss with 5.5 gen (but not with iPhone 3GS or Sansa Clip).

post #587 of 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Sounds good!
I managed to get a SuperTangent 128GB PATA drive for about $160 (Amazon had some refurbs on sale a couple months ago), but if I can upgrade to 256GB for about the same price by using mSATA and a carrier board, that is awfully appealing. Hmm...


It's definitely appealing.  The 128GB M4 and the adapter only ran me about $120.

post #588 of 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

^ Indeed. I am also keenly interested in hearing about DockEllis' update. Please keep us posted, thank you DockEllis.

I have a 80GB 5.5 gen with CF mod + Rockbox at the moment. Does anyone know if Hifiman RE-262s hiss with stock headphone output of 5.5 gen? If there is no hiss, I am buying RE-262s. All my current IEMs hiss with 5.5 gen (but not with iPhone 3GS or Sansa Clip).


I'll be ordering an 80GB back from RapidRepair today, you guys will be the first to know how it goes.

post #589 of 4312

With the mSATA SSD and the 40 Pin ZIF Adapter, I am just plain guessing that it could drain more battery than directly using a ZIF ssd. Could this be possible? But this option (using the ZIF adapter) does seem more affordable for a upgrade to 256gb ssd.

 

EDIT:

DockEllis, can you let us know if the process is pretty straight forward and trouble free (minus the problem you mentioned)? How about formatting the drive?

 

You can probably save about $100 using the mSATA SSD with the zif adapter vs. a zif ssd for the 256gb upgrade. But this $339.99 240gb ZIF ssd is confirmed working on ipod 5g and fits the 30gb model.


Edited by DMinor - 12/5/12 at 11:12am
post #590 of 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

With the mSATA SSD and the 40 Pin ZIF Adapter, I am just plain guessing that it could drain more battery than directly using a ZIF ssd. Could this be possible? But this option (using the ZIF adapter) does seem more affordable for a upgrade to 256gb ssd.

 

EDIT:

DockEllis, can you let us know if the process is pretty straight forward and trouble free (minus the problem you mentioned)? How about formatting the drive?

 

You can probably save about $100 using the mSATA SSD with the zif adapter vs. a zif ssd for the 256gb upgrade. But this $339.99 240gb ZIF ssd is confirmed working on ipod 5g and fits the 30gb model.


The battery life actually seems to be doing fine.  I've had it run shuffle for about 2 hours and it didn't even dip below 50%.  (It actually wasn't fully charged so that's more impressive than it sounds.)  I also rebooted it several times successfully.

 

The process was actually entirely trouble free, as soon as I had everything assembled iTunes recognized the iPod and restored it no questions asked.  It also properly formatted all 119GBs of available space properly to FAT32.


Edited by DockEllis - 12/5/12 at 12:01pm
post #591 of 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllis View Post


The battery life actually seems to be doing fine.  I've had it run shuffle for about 2 hours and it didn't even dip below 50%.  (It actually wasn't fully charged so that's more impressive than it sounds.)  I also rebooted it several times successfully.

 

The process was actually entirely trouble free, as soon as I had everything assembled iTunes recognized the iPod and restored it no questions asked.  It also properly formatted all 119GBs of available space properly to FAT32.


Nice to know the trouble free swap.

 

Speaking of the battery, I was surprised by the longevity of my RB'ed ipod 5.5g/80GB HDD. The fully charged battery only drained about half following almost non-stop playing the flac's during my recent 7-hr flight.

post #592 of 4312

This is what I like about the iPod video's when it comes to swapping the drives for something else. As far as I know, these are the confirmed available options ...

 

1. up to 240gb ZIF HDD (e.g. Toshiba MK2431GAH, $95)

2. up to 240gb ZIF SSD (e.g. MX-Technology 240GB 1.8" PATA MX-NANO Series, $340)

3. up to 128gb CF card with adapter (e.g. KomputerBay 128GB UMDA 90ms, $140)

4. up to 128gb mSATA SSD with adapter (e.g. Crucial M4 128gb mSATA, $100)

 

I have not followed every post of this thread so I may have missed any info. It's my understanding nobody has yet confirmed swapping for 256gb CF cards or 256gb mSATA SSD.

post #593 of 4312
^ That is my understanding as well. I have not seen a sucess report using a >240GB mSATA SSD. It would be nice if someone gives it a try and reports back here. Thank you in advance.
post #594 of 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

^ That is my understanding as well. I have not seen a sucess report using a >240GB mSATA SSD. It would be nice if someone gives it a try and reports back here. Thank you in advance.


I am going to give J&R a call tomorrow. They have both the 128gb and 256 gb Crucial M4 mSATA. If they allow me to exchange the 256gb for the 128gb in case the 256gb doesn't work, then it's worth a try.

post #595 of 4312

So far i think only Lexar makes a 256GB CF card...and that's DEFINITELY above the pay scale for now! LOL

 

I have the 2nd Tarkan iFlash card installed with a 32GB CF card...working like a charm...cool thing is...I didn't have to reformat or anything...just popped it in and worked!

700

 

700

post #596 of 4312

I work right near J&R Mondays and Wednesdays...so I might stop in and check it out after the weekend.

post #597 of 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefalkon View Post

So far i think only Lexar makes a 256GB CF card...and that's DEFINITELY above the pay scale for now! LOL

 

I have the 2nd Tarkan iFlash card installed with a 32GB CF card...working like a charm...cool thing is...I didn't have to reformat or anything...just popped it in and worked!

 

 

Only 32GB - are you downsizing? Where are the pics for the 128GB CF card swap?  wink_face.gif 

post #598 of 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

^ That is my understanding as well. I have not seen a sucess report using a >240GB mSATA SSD. It would be nice if someone gives it a try and reports back here. Thank you in advance.

 

512 GB mSATA drives seem really thin on the ground right now. Crucial doesn't even list them any more: Their M4 line currently only goes up to 256 GB. It's not hard to find 512 GB mSATA from Crucial on Ebay that I assume are NOS, but they're housed rather than bare boards, and they're spec'd for 2.5" bays, so I'm not sure whether they'll fit.

 

Not to mention dropping $330 or so, nonrefundable, on an experiment is a little indulgent.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

I am going to give J&R a call tomorrow. They have both the 128gb and 256 gb Crucial M4 mSATA. If they allow me to exchange the 256gb for the 128gb in case the 256gb doesn't work, then it's worth a try.

 

Let us know how it works out.

post #599 of 4312

Battery Update:

 

8 straight hours of playback so far and I'm still in the green.  Things are looking good for battery life.

post #600 of 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post


Let us know how it works out.

Just called J&R. The drive can be returned within 30 days even if the package is opened. But....

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllis View Post

Battery Update:

 

8 straight hours of playback so far and I'm still in the green.  Things are looking good for battery life.

 

Can you confirm if the rockbox works on your 128GB Crucial M4 mSATA?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread