Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 292

post #4366 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

@MikeyFresh, interesting comparison on SQ between the SDXC and msata. Although, I haven't done any direct comparison between those two (as I don't use the SDXC anymore), I agree the msata's sound pretty good to my ears. As I mentioned before in this thread, I did hear difference in SQ between the sdxc and CF when I was switching cards on one of my diymods. The SDXC sounded just less dynamic to my ears. 


And we heard essentially the same thing in terms of the dynamics, the SDXC just seems a bit less lively, the mSATA (or CF in your case) punchier sounding without being aggressive or tonally objectionable. I also thought the bass was better in both quantity and quality, and thats kind of what gave it a grounded organic earthiness that I feel sounds more natural.

 

And before lots of people start to chime in and essentially argue/dispute, or otherwise feel badly about this, I'd like to again stress that these are not earth shaking differences, i.e. it's not a case of one sucks and the other is fantastic. You might also get a different result depending on which headphone you use, or depending on the headphone's sonic signature and your own personal subjective taste.

 

I value @DMinor's experience in that he can add to my original thoughts, but from the context of the DIYmod. My comparison used two stock Gen. 5.5 units in terms of the analog output section, both the line out and headphone amp are original.

 

If anyone has built an SDXC unit, you need not go into remorse, nor mount a verbal counter attack in defense mechanism mode, no big mistakes have been made. The SDXC is a great option particularly cost-wise in the 128 or 256GB capacity if you have access to the PNY card like we do in the States.


Edited by MikeyFresh - Yesterday at 8:22 am
post #4367 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post
 

If mSATA sounds a bit better...

 

What 512 Gb or 256Gb mSATA SSD's would work on a 7g running stock firmware?

 

Would the 2000 mAh fit in the thick back case?

 

Power consumption is comparable with Toshiba's HDDs or even higher?


I've only built a Gen. 5.5 Video using mSATA, others may be able to help confirm compatibility in a Gen. 7.5 but I see no reason why the BP4e mSATA card wouldn't work.

 

The 2000 mAh battery definitely fits in a Gen. 5.5 with the thick back case, again can't confirm for sure with a Gen. 7.5 but it should work.

 

For a detailed look at power consumption, check out Tarkan's web page.

post #4368 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
 


I've only built a Gen. 5.5 Video using mSATA, others may be able to help confirm compatibility in a Gen. 7.5 but I see no reason why the BP4e mSATA card wouldn't work.

 

The 2000 mAh battery definitely fits in a Gen. 5.5 with the thick back case, again can't confirm for sure with a Gen. 7.5 but it should work.

 

For a detailed look at power consumption, check out Tarkan's web page.


 Thanks!
 

It seems that mSATA is far more power hungry than SDXC, More than stock HDD which i was not expecting certainly.

 

mSATA route would requiere the 2000 mAh to offset the greater power consumption.

 

Both look pretty interesting though.

post #4369 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post
 


 Thanks!
 

It seems that mSATA is far more power hungry than SDXC, More than stock HDD which i was not expecting certainly.

 

mSATA route would requiere the 2000 mAh to offset the greater power consumption.

 

Both look pretty interesting though.


One revision to my original replies to you, I said "in a Gen. 7.5" when referring to your unit, when you had said Gen. 7.

 

There is a difference. Only the Gen. 7.5 slim backed Classic is LBA48 enabled through the stock firmware. This means it can address greater than 128GB of storage.

 

All other Classics are crippled by the stock Apple firmware to LBA28, meaning the most storage capacity they can address is 128GB, unless you install/use Rockbox in place of the stock firmware.

post #4370 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
 


One revision to my original replies to you, I said "in a Gen. 7.5" when referring to your unit, when you had said Gen. 7.

 

There is a difference. Only the Gen. 7.5 slim backed Classic is LBA48 enabled through the stock firmware. This means it can address greater than 128GB of storage.

 

All other Classics are crippled by the stock Apple firmware to LBA28, meaning the most storage capacity they can address is 128GB, unless you install/use Rockbox in place of the stock firmware.

 

Hence 7.5 is the last one: the thin 160Gb. I usually call it 7G.

post #4371 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post
 

 

Hence 7.5 is the last one: the thin 160Gb. I usually call it 7G.

Yes the last one ever offered, the thin backed 160GB is LBA48 compatible and also variously referred to as a Gen. 7.5.

 

I just wanted to be sure to point out the distinction between them as the thick backed 160gb Classic is limited to 128GB unless Rockboxed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread