Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 30

post #436 of 3311

Will an SSD larger than 80GB work on the 6th gen 80GB ipod? I thought I remembered reading that those larger drives would only work in 120GB or 160GB 6th gen ipods, and that the 80GB ipod needs an 80GB or less SSD. 

post #437 of 3311

Hi Guys,

 

Does anybody know if an 80Gb HDD from a 5.5g iPod Video will fit into a 5g iPod Video which currently has a 30Gb HDD?

 

I have an 80Gb drive knocking around and if it fits thought it would be wothwhile sticking it in my 30Gb iPod I use in the car. I believe it shouldbut just want to check before I take another iPod apart tongue_smile.gif

post #438 of 3311
Successfully operated on my 60gb iPod Video 5g. It's now rocking a SuperTalent 128gb SSD.

No meaningful difference in sound, but I've noticed the noise floor's a little lower now. I figure that previously the mechanical vibrations of the hard drive spinning up and down were traveling up my headphone cables, and now my iPod system has no moving parts. So that's an additional win, right there.

I like my headphone cables, but they're pretty microphonic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 View Post

I know have a 5.5Generation 120Gb SSD iPod.

However do have another question, I have just bought a 5th Generation 30GB iPod and I was wondering whether these will take the old 80Gb drive I have removed?? Does anybody know? this will just be running bog standard itunes as its used in my car, connected via the dock out to my car stereo Auxillary CD input. (this means it can be controlled via the care stereo).

Glad you got yours working. The operation on mine took most of a day, largely because whenever I wasn't certain what to do next I walked away and did something else for a while, to keep from rushing through and doing something wrong. It's a good idea to embark on this when there's not a pressing deadline.

As far as the 80 GB drive -- no, it will be too thick to fit in a 30 GB iPod Video. The cases of the 60 and 80 GB iPod Videos were 3 mm thicker to fit the hard drive. (And since they had the extra room, they added a larger battery too.)
post #439 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

Glad you got yours working. The operation on mine took most of a day, largely because whenever I wasn't certain what to do next I walked away and did something else for a while, to keep from rushing through and doing something wrong. It's a good idea to embark on this when there's not a pressing deadline.
As far as the 80 GB drive -- no, it will be too thick to fit in a 30 GB iPod Video. The cases of the 60 and 80 GB iPod Videos were 3 mm thicker to fit the hard drive. (And since they had the extra room, they added a larger battery too.)

 

Cheers Mate,

 

Looks like it will need to be a 60GB Mach Extreme Technology SSD then.

 

Having said that, seeing as its only for the car and I only ever have the ipod on Shuffle and I'm never in it for more than 2 hours, I think leaving it as a 30Gb will suffice.

 

Extra money saved for additional toys :-)

post #440 of 3311
To be clear, you can fit a large-capacity SSD in the 30 GB iPod Videos -- to the best of my knowledge all the voltage-compatible 1.8" PATA ZIF SSDs are slender enough to fit. It's only the mechanical hard drives that risk being few millimeters too thick.
post #441 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardgedee View Post

To be clear, you can fit a large-capacity SSD in the 30 GB iPod Videos -- to the best of my knowledge all the voltage-compatible 1.8" PATA ZIF SSDs are slender enough to fit. It's only the mechanical hard drives that risk being few millimeters too thick.

Hmm that's interesting.

 

I currently have the 80Gb and 30Gb ipod's sat side by side....and the 30Gb is thinner and sleaker. 

 

I am now thinking about having a complete rejig then and fitting the Mach Extreme Technology 120Gb SSD into the 5th G 30Gb Ipod.......a sleeker case to go with the TTVJ Slim.....this would be a better portable rig than using the 80Gb. Although there isnt really that much in it size wise the 30Gb does feel a lot smaller in the hand. It would also probably be easier to get a camera case to fit the smaller iPod and the TTVJ.

 

I will then put the original 80Gb HDD back into the 5.5g Ipod and use this is in the car.

 

Just wondering If I can be bothered to open up both cases again and mess around inside. 

post #442 of 3311
Well now, that's the point at which you'll have more experience at this than I. smily_headphones1.gif

Just keep in mind that the specs for what you're interested in are out there somewhere; keep a table of what you have, compare the numbers with what you'd like to put in, and if they match, you're golden.
post #443 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

I read somewhere that a 5.5 gen 30GB may have difficulties in handling big hard drives (I am not sure: but 128GB may be its upper limit due to its small RAM).
If you are ConUSA, you can borrow my 80GB 5.5 gen (Which currently has a 32GB CF) to try. Or maybe you can try a 32GB mSATA SSD, or a patriation of 32GB (not sure about the last though).

Just want to point out that I own as a second iPod video a 30gb 5th gen iPod (not 5.5) and I was able to upgrade it to a 160gb hard drive, the 160gb drive is the original iPod 7th generation drive.


Edited by cmarti - 10/1/12 at 1:02pm
post #444 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

Just want to point out that I own as a second iPod video a 30gb 5th gen iPod (not 5.5) and I was able to upgrade it to a 160gb hard drive, the 160gb drive is the original iPod 7th generation drive.
what's the maker and model # for the 160gb HDD? Considering the low percentage of HDD failure for iPod , I am still debating on switching to ssd.
post #445 of 3311
The other day I successfully fitted a 120Gb Mach Extreme Technology SSD into my 5.5g iPod Video. Downloaded Rockbox and copied across music files. This was working OK.

This morning Inturned on my iPod and all the data has gone....I had the message on the iPod saying to connect to iTunes and restore the iPod.

Has anybody else had this problem and do they know why it would just suddenly decided to wipe the SSD?


EDIT / UPDATE:

Sorted this now....however it does seem that the SSD drives with the rubber bumbers on each side put a lot of pressure on the ribbon cable that clips to the Logic Board. Possibly a combination of being slight offset and also the fact the ME Technology drive faces upwards so again probably pulls on the cable a bit. This meant that the SSD drive had pulled the connection loose at the Logic Board and I just could not get it to sit properly.

In the end I gave up and replaced the 80Gb HDD back in this.....I will now use this is in the car.

The SSD has now been fitted into my slimmer 5g 30Gb iPod (which I was using in the car)...it seemed to have a more secure connection at the logic board and I rejigged the rubber bumbers slightly so it didnt pull on the cable. It is also a tighter fit because the 30Gb are the slim version (this is also actually a bonus for me as it will be used with my TTVJ Slim Amp when it arrives.

Drive reformatted yet again, Rockbox loaded yet again and yep downloading music yet again. Fingers crossed problem solved and my sanity saved!!
Edited by Jason36 - 10/3/12 at 7:52am
post #446 of 3311
Bump for help...

Will an ssd larger than 80GB work in the 80GB 6th gen classic?
post #447 of 3311

Well, an update on my end; I just got the new adapter that I needed to format the iPod, and I have some mixed results.  My 5G (it might be 5.5G..not really sure lol) iPod works perfectly with the mSATA SSD, except for the buttons (the logic board has some issues..so all I can do is see if it turns on), but my 7G iPod has 0% success.  Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but identical methods work with my old iPod, but not my new one.  So I might just look into getting a 5.5G 80GB or something, and work from there..does anyone have a 5.5G 80GB logic board they want to get rid of (or the whole iPod, as long as it's cheap..college is expensive lol)?  I have all of the other parts.

 

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

post #448 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNife View Post

Well, an update on my end; I just got the new adapter that I needed to format the iPod, and I have some mixed results.  My 5G (it might be 5.5G..not really sure lol) iPod works perfectly with the mSATA SSD, except for the buttons (the logic board has some issues..so all I can do is see if it turns on), but my 7G iPod has 0% success.  Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but identical methods work with my old iPod, but not my new one.  So I might just look into getting a 5.5G 80GB or something, and work from there..does anyone have a 5.5G 80GB logic board they want to get rid of (or the whole iPod, as long as it's cheap..college is expensive lol)?  I have all of the other parts.

 

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

 

Can you remind us again what size mSATA drive you used? 

post #449 of 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashtack View Post

 

Can you remind us again what size mSATA drive you used? 


This is the drive I used:

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148610

 

It does need to be formatted to FAT32 before it will work (at least in my case), but that is pretty simple to do.  I just got an adapter that converted it from mSATA to SATA, and then formatted it that way.  If I can get my hands on an 80GB iPod (or at least the mainboard from one), my next test is going to be a 240GB SSD..but who knows when I'll get around to that lol.  Hope this helps.

 

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

post #450 of 3311

Given that all my ipod HDD's have not failed on me once  - with the longest running since 2006 when I bought an ipod 5g - I am reasonably convinced the HDD's are quite durable if the ipods are taken good care of. Badly need a drive to upgrade my spare ipod 5g, I just snapped a 120GB HDD from eBay for $58. If the HDD fails in couple of yrs, I am sure by that time a 120GB SSD could be obtained for $100 or even less. wink_face.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread