Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 24

post #346 of 4371

Hey guys, I have a quick question for you.  I have a 7th Gen 160GB iPod Classic, and after reading quite a bit of this thread I have noticed that there aren't really any working solutions for an SSD swap (unless I missed something).  One thing that I am curious about though; have any of you ever tried/heard of a zif-usb adapter, and then using a USB flash drive instead of a CF card or SSD?  I'm curious because I would think that they would be cheaper than an SSD, and are still bootable..  Is anything like this possible, or should I just wait for a better SSD solution?  Any input/ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the help.

 

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

post #347 of 4371

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/5/14 at 12:29am
post #348 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

Cheapest option for 6G and 7G should be refurbished Sandisk 64GB SSD here:

 

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1263344

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandisk-SDPA3CD-064G-64GB-SSD-Internal-hard-drive-/160855804596

 

Then I read something about Kingspec here for iPod Classic afterwards:

 

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1261635

 

140 bucks for 128GB here:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KingSpec-128GB-1-8-ZIF-SSD-/350579561212

 

So these are confirmed working for the 7G iPod?  I thought I had read a few pages back in this thread that there was something different about the 7G that made the drives not work properly.  Is this the case or do the above drives work without any issues?  Thanks for the help.

 

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

post #349 of 4371

Guys,

 

I've just bought an iPod Classic 160GB (7th gen), current model (slim) and I was looking for this tread for someone which actually has replaced the internal HDD with an SSD. There is such member here?

I found that a 256GB SSD does not work with my model and mostly all the moods which can be done with SSD are only for iPod Video 5.5 60-80GB. 

Did someone tried to put a lower size SSD on 7th gen iPod?

 

Thanks,

Andrei

post #350 of 4371

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/5/14 at 12:30am
post #351 of 4371

768GB! Geeze Louise! In an iPod...
+ add a CLAS + amp or HP-P1 to the equation and you've got the most exclusive —both metaphorically and literally— portable audiophile solution out there...

post #352 of 4371

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/5/14 at 12:30am
post #353 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

Here we go, mSATA to ZIF adapter FTW

 

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=16819295377

 

 

Looks great!  I spent a few hours looking for this type of thing, but I was never able to find it..probably because I wasn't able to read Chinese lol.  Now the only question is whether it will work, and more importantly, whether it will fit within the size constraints of an iPod 7th Gen 160GB (the slim model).  Might be pushing the thickness at least, and possibly the length..not sure though.  I've managed to order it (had to use a third-party site to get around the translation problem) and will post back on whether it fits; I won't be able to get an SSD for it for a few weeks though.

 

Once I do I'll try to test it in both my 5th Gen 30GB and my 7th Gen 160GB to see if it works.  If anyone else has tried this/will try this please let me know.  Thanks for the link!

 

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

post #354 of 4371

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/5/14 at 12:30am
post #355 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNife View Post

Looks great!  I spent a few hours looking for this type of thing, but I was never able to find it..probably because I wasn't able to read Chinese lol.  Now the only question is whether it will work, and more importantly, whether it will fit within the size constraints of an iPod 7th Gen 160GB (the slim model).  Might be pushing the thickness at least, and possibly the length..not sure though.  I've managed to order it (had to use a third-party site to get around the translation problem) and will post back on whether it fits; I won't be able to get an SSD for it for a few weeks though.

Once I do I'll try to test it in both my 5th Gen 30GB and my 7th Gen 160GB to see if it works.  If anyone else has tried this/will try this please let me know.  Thanks for the link!

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

^ Thanks Brendan. Please keep us posted. Your 5th gen 30GB may not have enough RAM to run large hard drives though. I don't have an iPod, but may get one if you have success.
Edited by zzffnn - 8/26/12 at 6:58am
post #356 of 4371
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post


^ Thanks Brendan. Please keep us posted. Your 5th gen 30GB may not have enough RAM to run large hard drives though. I don't have an iPod, but may get one if you have success.

Yeah that might be the case; for initial testing though I am just going to get a 32GB SSD to see if it works.  Kinda low on funds right now so I can't get the big ones just yet :(  I'll keep you guys posted though; shipping will take a week or two at least but I should know if it works by the end of September latest (all depends on the shipping time).

 

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

post #357 of 4371

Guys, has anyone tried to put a lower capacity SSD on that iPod Classic 160GB version, just to see if it works?

So far, I saw that nobody has managed to replace that HDD with an SSD in this iPod model.

Do you think that there is something related to emCORE/Rockbox SW which is not probably fixed to work for replacing the internal HDD with SDD?

Or can be a "hardware lock" internally in iPod's firmware which doesn't allow replacement of the standard 160GB HDD with something else? Some sort of HW ID check...

post #358 of 4371

People have put 240gb HDD's in iPod Classics. That should be enough as a proof of concept that it works. It's not locked down. It's just not done very often apparently. SSD's and HDD's are essentially the same, the iPod wont be able to tell the difference, besides the difference in capacity and the benefits of the SSD over the HDD. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrei83 View Post

Guys, has anyone tried to put a lower capacity SSD on that iPod Classic 160GB version, just to see if it works?

So far, I saw that nobody has managed to replace that HDD with an SSD in this iPod model.

Do you think that there is something related to emCORE/Rockbox SW which is not probably fixed to work for replacing the internal HDD with SDD?

Or can be a "hardware lock" internally in iPod's firmware which doesn't allow replacement of the standard 160GB HDD with something else? Some sort of HW ID check...

post #359 of 4371

Hi. Very briefly, I'm looking at putting a 128GB SSD into my 5.5. Once it's done will I be able to simply install Rockbox and copy over my collection or are there any Apple shenanigans I'll have to consider? I'm assuming the ipod firmware isn't stored on the HDD? Will Rockbox boot ok from the SDD?

 

Any help and advice is very gratefully received. 

Thanks.

post #360 of 4371

^ Guys, you can easily find answers to your questions within this thread by clicking "Search This Thread". Also please read the first post on the first page. 

Yes, iPod Classic should take SSD as long as the SSD works on 3.3v or lower and has a 1.8" PATA ZIF connector.

No, iPod firmware would not be a problem when you change HDD. Even if there is a problem, you should be able to find stock Apple firmware at the Rockbox site or elsewhere online.

Yes, Rockbox will boot on SSD. Many have been using iPod with SSD and Rockbox. For example, I remember member LFF has an iPod with 128GB SSD and Rockbox.

 

Edit: I randomly went to page 7 of this thread and found 2 people showing iPod with SSD with 220GB+ . Searching "Rockbox" within this thread produced 40 posts.


Edited by zzffnn - 8/27/12 at 10:49am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread