Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 224

post #3346 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imod View Post
 

I am surprised to see that the clickwheel did not pushed forward.

 

 

EDIT: Thanks for the pics.


Edited by cmarti - 7/29/14 at 2:46pm
post #3347 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

I am surprised to see that the clickwheel did not pushed forward.

 

 

EDIT: Thanks for the pics.


The click wheel works exactly as before. I don't see or feel any difference.

post #3348 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imod View Post
 


The click wheel works exactly as before. I don't see or feel any difference.


I'm now wondering if I can somehow shave off a millimeter or two from the SD adapter so that it will fit without a tight struggle? I will try.

post #3349 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
 


I'm now wondering if I can somehow shave off a millimeter or two from the SD adapter so that it will fit without a tight struggle? I will try.

I thought about the same thing, kindly let us know how it works.

post #3350 of 4570

Ok guys, got a problem. I've read through a lot of the thread, but I've already forgotten some of what I read. And when I tried to use the Tarkan adapter with a 128 gig SDXC card (or I've actually tried 3 different ones), I get the iPod to boot up. But then when I plug it into the computer, it refuses to see it as an iPod, and iTunes won't do the restore. Just says it's an Unknown Device. I've tried reloading drivers to no avail. I did format the card to FAT32 successfully, so that's out too. Any other ideas? I really hope it's not the logic board...

post #3351 of 4570

I was talking to dr408157 regarding this and I think its an issue with the 6th gen case being too thin compared to the 5th gen.

Check out my mod: 

[img]http://i.imgur.com/8NdNjXU.jpg[/img]

post #3352 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith1284 View Post
 

Ok guys, got a problem. I've read through a lot of the thread, but I've already forgotten some of what I read. And when I tried to use the Tarkan adapter with a 128 gig SDXC card (or I've actually tried 3 different ones), I get the iPod to boot up. But then when I plug it into the computer, it refuses to see it as an iPod, and iTunes won't do the restore. Just says it's an Unknown Device. I've tried reloading drivers to no avail. I did format the card to FAT32 successfully, so that's out too. Any other ideas? I really hope it's not the logic board...

Does it works with the factory hard drive?

post #3353 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

I thought about the same thing, kindly let us know how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post


I'm now wondering if I can somehow shave off a millimeter or two from the SD adapter so that it will fit without a tight struggle? I will try.

HA! I tried last night. You need more than a millimeter. I used a vibrating sander to take some of the black plastic at the end of the crappy green adapter. Not enough. I thought about peeling the aluminum off of the battery. I just thought about it. biggrin.gif
Edited by dr408517 - 7/30/14 at 6:14pm
post #3354 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

Does it works with the factory hard drive?


As the hard drive was crashed when I bought it (figured, hey, $30, maybe this mod will give me a $50 ipod), I don't know. I do know that if I remove the CF card itself from the socket, that I can use the computer to charge the ipod. Otherwise, the computer disconnects from it and it won't even charge. I've read a few places that offer some suggestions regarding drivers, but none of them have worked.

post #3355 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr408517 View Post



HA! I tried last night. You need more than a millimeter. I used a vibrating sander to take some of the black plastic at the end of the crappy green adapter. Not enough. I thought about peeling the aluminum off of the battery. I just thought about it. biggrin.gif


Do you mean the crappy green ZIF - CF adapter?

 

I was thinking maybe I could shave the CF-SD adapter, while using a Tarkan ZIF - CF board.

 

I'm not familiar with a green SD adapter but maybe I'm way off here and this only has a hope of working with an actual CF card due to it being thinner than the CF-SD adapter is?

 

Also you say you sanded black plastic at "the end" where I was thinking due to a thickness issue this would be shaving off the top or bottom and not the end which I think of as the edge or side.

 

Just trying to clarify what you tried, I thought perhaps removing the label/sticker from an SD adapter and maybe the aluminum top plate too (probably exposing the SD card) that it might be thin enough for this.

 

I received the 2000mA battery today, but I won't have time to mess with this until the weekend.

post #3356 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imod View Post
 


The click wheel works exactly as before. I don't see or feel any difference.


Did you use a CF-SD adapter in addition to the ZIF-CF board for this, or is this a straight CF conversion?

 

I.E. are you using a CF memory card, or an SDXC?


Edited by MikeyFresh - 7/30/14 at 7:34pm
post #3357 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
 


Did you use a CF-SD adapter in addition to the ZIF-CF board for this, or is this a straight CF conversion?

 

I.E. are you using a CF memory card, or an SDXC?


I am using Tarkan's CF adapter/SD adapter bundle with a SDXC card.


Edited by Imod - 7/30/14 at 7:42pm
post #3358 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post


Do you mean the crappy green ZIF - CF adapter?

I was thinking maybe I could shave the CF-SD adapter, while using a Tarkan ZIF - CF board.

I'm not familiar with a green SD adapter but maybe I'm way off here and this only has a hope of working with an actual CF card due to it being thinner than the CF-SD adapter is?

Also you say you sanded black plastic at "the end" where I was thinking due to a thickness issue this would be shaving off the top or bottom and not the end which I think of as the edge or side.

Just trying to clarify what you tried, I thought perhaps removing the label/sticker from an SD adapter and maybe the aluminum top plate too (probably exposing the SD card) that it might be thin enough for this.

I received the 2000mA battery today, but I won't have time to mess with this until the weekend.

Very sorry-I was speaking of the green mSata-zif adapter. But, I'm a bit surprised the Tarkan SD won't work. I didn't think the config was thicker than a 30gb HD.
post #3359 of 4570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr408517 View Post


Very sorry-I was speaking of the green mSata-zif adapter. But, I'm a bit surprised the Tarkan SD won't work. I didn't think the config was thicker than a 30gb HD.


I didn't think so either, but I'll find out this weekend.

 

Apparently it needs to be shaved down in some way or the click wheel will be pushed forward and/or the back cover bulges enough so that it won't sit flat.

post #3360 of 4570

I have a v5.5 iPod Video that's been rockboxed since I bought it (second hand). Hadn't used it in a while as I now have an iBasso DX50 as my travelling companion. Trouble is the middle button is not working. Easy fix or is it now time to open it up and do the Tarken mod?

 

I had a "Data abort at 00040308 (0)" error (now with added screen burn of the error), but managed to switch it off and now it won't switch back on...

 

< some time later >

 

Well the battery ran out so that cleared the error. I have it charging and it boots into RockBox and the next track comes up. THen the iPod just switches off with a click (and a quiet whistle as the HDD spins down). Putting the iPod next to my ear, I can hear what sounds like the disk accessing before it switches off. Is this the click of death?


Edited by spookygonk - 8/2/14 at 1:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread