Ok team, i just finished my 3rd TeraPod.
How to build your own TeraPod:
1. 5.5gen board and black click wheel recovered from old ipod.
2. LCD purchased from iDemiGods. Www.Idemigods.com
3. Gold tone shell and button (both originally for 6/7gen) and Griffin mirror case from Amazon.
4. Crappy geen mSata to zif adapter from Amazon (shipped from China). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HP01QXI/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5. Samsung EVO 1T chip from B&H computer. Www.bhphotovideo.com
6. Battery 650mAh thin, from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3O1D0U/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7. Used an adapter like this one to connect msata to computer to format chip: http://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-2-5-Inch-Adapter-SY-ADA40050/dp/B007PPZ2I8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403965922&sr=1-1&keywords=msata+to+sata+adapter
I assembled the components for the ipod. I formated the chip to Fat32 using AOMEI. Installed the chip into the ipod, and restored it in iTunes. This took about 10 min, and the chip did feel hot during this time. I unchecked the box in iTunes for automatically opening the program when the ipod was connected and closed iTunes. I unzipped BeyondWind's RockBox mod to the ipod, and when it was finished, i created a folder on the ipod called "music".
I ejected the ipod, and disconnected it from the computer. After it cooled, i reconnected it to the computer. I placed the ipod on top of a frozen gel-pack. It took about 3-4 mins for the ipod to open after i double clicked the drive. Then, in blocks of 25 to 45 gb, i loaded the music files. During the first two loads, the battery would report dropping as much as 10% in power from a full charge. File loads took from 30m to 1:15h, depending on the size, at a rate of 7-8kb/s. Had I not left for a business trip, it would have taken no more than 2 days to load the 550gb. Instead my very patient wife dropped and dragged a folder every day or so while i was gone. She didn't do much with the gel-pack, but then again she was loading no more than 50gb every other day or so. I finished loading 150gb more this morning, with the TeraPod3 on a frozen pack.
I don't know exactly why some are having issues- i have heard some chips are rated at 1.6 instead of 1.9, but i haven't seen this. The build can be finicky, but it does work. During this build, i discovered one of my USB ports was not performing very well, and i found batteries draining so fast i could not load the TeraPod without a shutdown.