or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 210

post #3136 of 8688
Hey guys I know this is the 5+ gen thread. However, I've been picking up a few older iPods. specifically got 2 4th gen iPods (to fix my near mint 4th gen) So now I have 2 working 4th gen iPods. I also picked up a 3rd gen iPod. I like the body style and capacitive buttons. It's unique. All of these will have 128GB SD cards, and work with an LOD/amp.


So here is my question. I purchased a Mint 10GB 2nd gen iPod. I will be converting the HDD to a 128GB SD card. The iPod is thicker then the iPods that came after it, and it only has a 6 pin firewire port. So my question. Does the ability exist, that the firewire port can pass audio? So that I could use the iPod with an amp?

I'm not sure what kind of accessories were available for the iPod back in the day. This iPod was released in July, 2002



Edited by DR650SE - 6/23/14 at 6:24pm
post #3137 of 8688

A quick update on my 3rd gen upgrade to 128GB SD.

 

I used the adapters suggested by DR650SE but obtained from the Amazon UK website, with an alternative inexpensive SD card (links to all below).

 

It was a very straightforward upgrade - pop open the iPod, unplug hard drive, plug in adapters / SD card assembly, attach to PC, reformat to FAT, iTunes detects and restores device, job done.

 

 

 

IDE to CF Adapter (Chinese supplier, took 12 days to arrive)

 

CF to SD Adapter

 

SD Card

post #3138 of 8688
@Peridot, Nice job! I like the 3rd gen. it's unique. Same reason I'm trying to get my 2nd Gen up and running tongue.gif
post #3139 of 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
 

A quick update on my 3rd gen upgrade to 128GB SD.

 

I used the adapters suggested by DR650SE but obtained from the Amazon UK website, with an alternative inexpensive SD card (links to all below).

 

It was a very straightforward upgrade - pop open the iPod, unplug hard drive, plug in adapters / SD card assembly, attach to PC, reformat to FAT, iTunes detects and restores device, job done.

 

 

 

IDE to CF Adapter (Chinese supplier, took 12 days to arrive)

 

CF to SD Adapter

 

SD Card

 

Beautiful job!

 

It's a shame that we can't buy that 128GB QUMOX SD card in the US.

post #3140 of 8688
@Cmarti, Factoring currency conversions, these SD cards here are only $4 more than the QUMOX, and the are also 128GB. I plan to buy a couple of them so that I can put them in more of my iPods. Specifiaclly 2ng Gen if I can get it working, and my 4th Gen. Already have one in my 3rd Gen. biggrin.gif

128GB SD card $59
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SGCO3E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C0E2G2LZFK00

And for anyone interested, here is the best price for a straight CF card that I have found.
128GB. CF Card. $95
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O7N0W6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C0E2G2LZFK00
Edited by DR650SE - 6/25/14 at 11:43am
post #3141 of 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post


And for anyone interested, here is the best price for a straight CF card that I have found.
128GB. CF Card. $95
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O7N0W6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C0E2G2LZFK00

Thanks for the links.

 

The Komputerbay CF Card works great with iPod Classic, Mini 1st gen and Video but does not work reliable with the 2nd gen Mini. Don't know why but I tested this with three Minis and all intermittently failed to boot.


Edited by cmarti - 6/25/14 at 1:07pm
post #3142 of 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

Thanks for the links.

 

The Komputerbay CF Card works great with iPod Classic, Mini 1st gen and Video but does not work reliable with the 2nd gen Mini. Don't know why but I tested this with three Minis and all intermittently failed to boot.


Fwiw I can confirm issues with the cf card from komputerbay has issues on the 2nd gen mini.  It's also obscene that the 128 gig cards are like £35 now, but the 256 are still ££££.  Guess it's supply and demand.

post #3143 of 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post

@Cmarti, Factoring currency conversions, these SD cards here are only $4 more than the QUMOX, and the are also 128GB. I plan to buy a couple of them so that I can put them in more of my iPods. Specifiaclly 2ng Gen if I can get it working, and my 4th Gen. Already have one in my 3rd Gen. biggrin.gif

128GB SD card $59
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SGCO3E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C0E2G2LZFK00

And for anyone interested, here is the best price for a straight CF card that I have found.
128GB. CF Card. $95
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O7N0W6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1C0E2G2LZFK00

Here's another good CF card option, I might order it in the near future to see if it works with the 2ng gen iPod Mini.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360711800624?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

post #3144 of 8688

I have bought the Tarkan adapter to CF + CF-SD Adapter and I want to use my Qumox 128 gb SD card for this rebuild.

 

But it's not working yet, and I guess it is because it is still in ExFAT formatted.

 

 

But, with the program 'AOMEI Partition Assistant' I can do the trick I hope, according to the manual from the website from Tarkan:

http://www.tarkan.info/20140310/tutorials/prepare-sdxc-exfat-for-use-with-the-ipod

 

 

But... I am a little bit affraid to do this with my laptop with just a standard SD slot in it (well.. that's what I guess actually).

And according to this quote I could damage it. Is that really true? Because I don't have CF cardreader or a SDXC cardreader.

 

quote: "You will need a CF card reader, you can also use a SDXC card reader. If you are going to use a SD card reader make sure it is SDXC compatible as you can damage the SDXC card – normal SD or SDHC card readers will not work with SDXC cards."

 

 

Someone with experience who can help me solve this problem ?

 

Thanks for all the great tips from this website. I am allready beginning to like it to rebuild my first Ipod :-)

post #3145 of 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by razortje View Post

 

Someone with experience who can help me solve this problem ?

 

Thanks for all the great tips from this website. I am already beginning to like it to rebuild my first Ipod :-)

I have done this, when you format it it may give you an error if your SD card reader is not compatible with SDXC but it will not damage it.

 

Right now I am working with my 5th gen iPod Video and the Tarkan iFlash-CF adapter+6th gen tarkan SD to CF adapter and a 256GB Lexar card and I just formatted the card inside the iPod by putting the iPod in disk mode.

 

Then I followed the tutorial in Tarkan's website with the help of AOMEI Partition Assistant.

 

Go ahead, nothing bad will happen.

 

I will be online to answer any questions.

post #3146 of 8688

Now that my ipod video 5.5g has returned with a newly repaired screen, I am looking at upgrading the hard drive again.

 

I am curious about the trade off between micro SSD cards and SD cards.  I know I can get a 128gb SD card for a good price.  Now I found a crucial micro SSD for $115 or so with 240 gb.

 

I saw a review by cmarti on amazon for a micro ssd to zif 40 pin; I assume that is the go to device for my "fat" 80gb ipod video 5.5g.

 

Any thoughts on the trade off between SD cards and micro SSD ?  Is the power draw the big difference?

 

The fact that cmarti is posting about a 256gb SD card makes me think there must be a meaningful difference.

post #3147 of 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post
 

Now that my ipod video 5.5g has returned with a newly repaired screen, I am looking at upgrading the hard drive again.

 

I am curious about the trade off between micro SSD cards and SD cards.  I know I can get a 128gb SD card for a good price.  Now I found a crucial micro SSD for $115 or so with 240 gb.

 

I saw a review by cmarti on amazon for a micro ssd to zif 40 pin; I assume that is the go to device for my "fat" 80gb ipod video 5.5g.

 

Any thoughts on the trade off between SD cards and micro SSD ?  Is the power draw the big difference?

 

The fact that cmarti is posting about a 256gb SD card makes me think there must be a meaningful difference.

mSATA is the way to go now, I keep messing with other stuff because I own two 80Gb iPod Classics, two 5.5th videos, three iPod Minis, and a 7th gen iPod classic which is the pinnacle now.

 

Also, Tarkan just confirmed to me today that finishing the Release version of the iFlash-sata in the next 10 days or so.

post #3148 of 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

Also, Tarkan just confirmed to me today that finishing the Release version of the iFlash-sata in the next 10 days or so.

cmarti,
Please keep us posted on Tarkan's release date for the SATA adapter. I will buy at least one. Thank you!
post #3149 of 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post


cmarti,
Please keep us posted on Tarkan's release date for the SATA adapter. I will buy at least one. Thank you!

You got it!

 

This will be a awesome solution, my 7th gen runs solid with no issues.

post #3150 of 8688
Will the msata drive work in the 5.5? If so I think it'd work on the 3rd and 4th gen iPods as well. I'll for sure buy at least one msata adapter. I'd put one in my 5.5G for sure.

I'm not sure what I want to do with my other iPods. SD card, or CF card. I'm still deciding that. A 3rd Gen and two 4th gens., and a 2nd Gen. No clue how to get the 2nd generation Ipod recognized. :/ so far a pain in the neck.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread