Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 207

post #3091 of 3341
@Cmarti, Looking good. Thats definately good news.

If you can get your hands on one of these dual firewire/USB to 30 pin dock cables, I think it will solve the limit of loading 800 songs at a time. I had issues with my SD card iPods where I had to load in batches or the iPod would drop out. Once I used this to plug the iPod in to the laptop via USB, and then plugged it into the wall with the firewire at the same time, it was able to load 90 GB of music in one operation. If you do it with the iPod open, it may help disipate the heat better. My iPod got warm, but never had an issue. Im pretty sure the reason this works is because it supplies the iPod a steady and sufficient amount of power rather then relying on the battery while transferring files.

suryru2e.jpg
Edited by DR650SE - 6/16/14 at 7:16am
post #3092 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post


^ When you connect your iPod to computer, do you see over 385 GB of music in iPod's disk through computer's file browser?

I cannot offer a definitive solution or pinpoint cause, but the following may help:
1) make sure battery is full and internal connections are solid (not broken);
2) Do not try to update database or do directory cache
3) Under General settings -> System -> Limits -> Max Entries in File Browser -> set to maximum 10000

I thought dr408517 has over 400 GB in his 1TB iPod? Maybe procedures and timing (which step first) matters here? 

 

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I had posted a reply yesterday but something went amiss.

 

The SSD reported correctly on the computer and the battery is new and working well.

 

I think I had the database set to auto-update so I have left that off not and I have also updated the Max Entries parameter as suggested.

 

I have about 200GB reloaded and it is functioning in a stable manner. I'll load it back up in stages and report how I get on.

post #3093 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post

. If you do it with the iPod open, it may help disipate the heat better. My iPod got warm, but never had an issue. Im pretty sure the reason this works is because it supplies the iPod a steady and sufficient amount of power rather then relying on the battery while transferring files.
 

 

I've placed a plastic food container filled with ice cubes on top of the upturned iPod when transferring files to keep it cool. It's crude but effective. 

 

I've had no problem with the battery draining when transferring up to 45GB at a time.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razortje View Post

 

2) Where can I find the best/cheapest CF and SD cards? (128gb - 256gb)  (I live in Europe)
 

 

I've ordered this SD card to install in my 3rd gen player. It was the cheapest I could find with some good reviews. It should arrive over the next few days and I'll report how I get on with it.

post #3094 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post
 I had issues with my SD card iPods where I had to load in batches or the iPod would drop out. 

 

Question, when the iPod dropped out did it disappeared also from my computer not showing the drive capacity? That is what happens when I try to load thousands of files at once. 

post #3095 of 3341
Duplicate post. 

Edited by cmarti - 6/16/14 at 8:06am
post #3096 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

Question, when the iPod dropped out did it disappeared also from my computer not showing the drive capacity? That is what happens when I try to load thousands of files at once. 

Yup, thats exactly what happened with my iPod until I got the firewire/USB. Then in iTunes I was able to select all songs, and just drag all at once to the iPod. This worked on my 3rd Gen iPod too. I've never had such a smooth file transfer. This is why I hated testing Rockbox. It took so much effort to transfer my music back. I dreaded transferring the music. I also didn't know about the hold switch dual boot option...redface.gif

I think it has something to do with a dip in power supply. Perhaps there is no power to the iPod during transfer with USB, or the power supplied is just not enough.

You'll want one that comes with the wall plug as well. unless you have an old wall plug with firewire.
Edited by DR650SE - 6/16/14 at 8:22am
post #3097 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post

I think it has something to do with a dip in power supply. Perhaps there is no power to the iPod during transfer with USB, or the power supplied is just not enough.

You'll want one that comes with the wall plug as well. unless you have an old wall plug with firewire.

That actually makes a lot of sense, the worse part of the file transfer failing is that you end up with a bunch of "other" files which are nothing more than corrupted data and the only way to get rid of it is by restoring the iPod again and start all over again.  So far I have transferred 212 GB of music with no file transfer failures but sure it make the process a lot slower and time consuming.


Edited by cmarti - 6/18/14 at 4:01am
post #3098 of 3341
Oh yea, It's such a pain when that happens. I've done it several times, and so when I got that Y-cable, I decided to go for broke. Each time I walked into my computer room I was amazed it was still transfering files as usual. it finished and transfered all 12K files with not one single stop or drop. Hopefully you have the same results. Looking forward to your results.
post #3099 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

Another update on the iPod 7th gen mSATA mod.

Ordered this Samsung 512GB mSATA card part # MZMTE512HMHP , installed it on my iPod Classic with the Tarkan iFlash-Sata adapter (Unmodified) and the 2,000mAh battery.

The iPod restored perfectly and it closed fine. Loading files needs to be done in batch of less the 800 songs at a time to avoid the card and or adapter from overheating and data corrupting.

I don't see any sudden battery charge drops or hear any songs skipping, everything works like it should.

This looks like it's going to be a keeper.

Pics below:




^ Nice find, cmarti.

I did not know Samsung makes that PM851 series of SSDs. I tried to find the difference between PM851 vs EVO series and found that, per Samsung, PM851 is for mobile use and EVO is "specifically designed for laptop PC".

As to why dr408517's first 1TB iPod works but latest 1TB EVO SSD does not (work in iPod), I am guessing different product batches may have different hardware/firmware?
post #3100 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

As to why dr408517's first 1TB iPod works but latest 1TB EVO SSD does not (work in iPod), I am guessing different product batches may have different hardware/firmware?

Yeah, that is exactly what I think. They must changed something which killed the compatibility for us  :(

 

The iPod It's loading with now issues... no "other files" :)

 


Edited by cmarti - 6/16/14 at 11:22am
post #3101 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

Yeah, that is exactly what I think. They must changed something which killed the compatibility for us  frown.gif

^ If Samsung only changed firmware in their new batch of EVO 1TB, you may ask Samsung how/if you can revert back to previous firmware. I know you may not have the EVO 1TB anymore though.

It is kind of sad for me, as 512 GB is still not enough for my music collection. I guess I can wait till 2016 and see if HP's "the Machine" technology enables 1TB on mobile.
post #3102 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post


^ If Samsung only changed firmware in their new batch of EVO 1TB, you may ask Samsung how/if you can revert back to previous firmware. I know you may not have the EVO 1TB anymore though.

It is kind of sad for me, as 512 GB is still not enough for my music collection. I guess I can wait till 2016 and see if HP's "the Machine" technology enables 1TB on mobile.

The card went back to Amazon, looking online I see that there were two types of 1TB cards one rated at 1.9A and another at 1.6A

 

the 512GB card I am using now is rated at 1.6A, not sure if that makes a difference though.

post #3103 of 3341

Thanks Cmarti and Peridot for your answers! This will give me enough information to try it.

I think I will order the 128GB QUMOX SD Card, that Peridot show me in this topic because the CF cards are still way to expensive.

 

 

If I'm right, is it true that 128gb with an SD card is still the maximum for a Tarkan CD-SD Adapter? (256gb gave some troubles?)

 

 

And with a Tarkan adapter + CF-SD adapter, what battery life do I have if I only listen to audio (in hrs)? Can someone give me an rough indication?

post #3104 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by razortje View Post
 

 

 

If I'm right, is it true that 128gb with an SD card is still the maximum for a Tarkan CD-SD Adapter? (256gb gave some troubles?)

 

 

And with a Tarkan adapter + CF-SD adapter, what battery life do I have if I only listen to audio (in hrs)? Can someone give me an rough indication?

Yeah, there's some CF adapter firmware issues that are not allowing us to use the whole 256Gb SD card at this time.

 

With the slim battery you will get around nine hours of battery life.

post #3105 of 3341
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

cmarti: Did you buy from Amazon at Amazon, or from some other guy at Amazon? I am offering to pay you the difference (Amazon vs other sellers), if you just get refund and buy directly from Amazon. That way we know for sure if Samsung SSD is not compatible (instead of lemons).

dr408517, since your Terapod with Samsung EVO SSD has been working well, would you please tell us from whom did you buy your 1TB SSD? Thank you.

I have purchased three. One came from Amazon, and two from B&H photo. The first two were purchased in Dec and Jan and they are working wonderfully. The last one was Purchased in May, and it has been a big PITA. I have not been able to figure out the difference, but I understand that Cmarti had a similar problem with a recently purchased Samsung. I'll keep working with it. All of the builds are exactly the same, by the way. Same batteries, same boards, same chip. I just dont know.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread