Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 165

post #2461 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondwind View Post
 


Thanks for the encouragement I just setup a donation side bar on my webpage for the MOD.

Right now I am working on an internal head amp board based on TI's TPA6120,  My target is to fit the amp in the gained space from msata mod. The mSATA to ZIF adapter is no longer my priority because the current adapter just seems to be working fine now.

Awesome, going to make my donation now!

post #2462 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondwind View Post
 

 

Wow, don't overfill the SSD, iPOD doesn't support TRIM :-)

 

What kind of battery life you getting with the 480GB mSATA?

 

Yeah dropped a little bit more today and now it's 88% full. I will go slowly from here and see what will happen as it's approaching the full capacity.

 

I have been playing this one today and the battery appears doing decent. I need to get a new battery to give a good assessment. With the old battery I have, I would say it should be able to play 10 hrs without browsing the folders frequently.

 

I just made a small donation to show my appreciation for what you have done for the community. It's the Aloha from Hawaii and thanks for your effort.

post #2463 of 3944

The ipod suddenly shut off when the battery appeared still showing about 25% reserve. This happened to two batteries I have tried so far. it could be the battery indication was not accurate or the ipod just drained the battery quickly when it was that low. Anyways, after it shut off and I turned it back on, it showed battery completely drained then shortly after shut off again.

post #2464 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

The ipod suddenly shut off when the battery appeared still showing about 25% reserve. This happened to two batteries I have tried so far. it could be the battery indication was not accurate or the ipod just drained the battery quickly when it was that low. Anyways, after it shut off and I turned it back on, it showed battery completely drained then shortly after shut off again.

My battery is a "newer" battery that came out of a then new 7th gen iPod Classic (Back in summer 2013). I will run it until it drains to see if the same happens to the iPod. Will let you know how it goes.

 

P.D. 

 

The iPod currently has 67.4gb free out of 446gb which it's the usable storage capacity for the card. :veryevil:


Edited by cmarti - 3/7/14 at 8:31am
post #2465 of 3944

I have an ipod classic 7G with a faulty HDD, would it be suitable for modding in this fashion? I don't wish to do it personally, would likely sell it here if it's worth selling... It's just sitting in a drawer atm.

post #2466 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

My battery is a "newer" battery that came out of a then new 7th gen iPod Classic (Back in summer 2013). I will run it until it drains to see if the same happens to the iPod. Will let you know how it goes.

 

P.D. 

 

The iPod currently has 67.4gb free out of 446gb which it's the usable storage capacity for the card. :veryevil:

 

Mine is 53.6GB free out of the 446GB at this moment.

 

It's such a great feeling to have your entire music library available anytime and anywhere at your finger tip.


Edited by DMinor - 3/7/14 at 11:08am
post #2467 of 3944

Update on the battery issue:

 

My ipod shut off again today when the battery was still showing something close to 30%. I came to realize this happens when I browser the folders (while still playing) in the neighborhood of that percentage.

 

Not sure if the issue is related to firmware or the mSATA or the adapter or combination.

post #2468 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by batteraziiz View Post
 

I have an ipod classic 7G with a faulty HDD, would it be suitable for modding in this fashion? I don't wish to do it personally, would likely sell it here if it's worth selling... It's just sitting in a drawer atm.


The best you could hope for is either a hdd swop or a tarkan adapter and sd card.  The msata mod's do not work with the 7th gen unfortunately.

post #2469 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

Update on the battery issue:

 

My ipod shut off again today when the battery was still showing something close to 30%. I came to realize this happens when I browser the folders (while still playing) in the neighborhood of that percentage.

 

Not sure if the issue is related to firmware or the mSATA or the adapter or combination.

Maybe it's a weak battery, mine continued working until it reached 0% and still I was able to boot it for a few seconds.

 

One thing I noticed though is that the battery percentage fluctuates somehow and drops and then goes back up.

 

See the pictures shows the iPod at 22% then 12 minutes later the battery percentage went up to 31%, instead of going down it actually went up?

 

 

post #2470 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

Maybe it's a weak battery, mine continued working until it reached 0% and still I was able to boot it for a few seconds.

 

One thing I noticed though is that the battery percentage fluctuates somehow and drops and then goes back up.

 

See the pictures shows the iPod at 22% then 12 minutes later the battery percentage went up to 31%, instead of going down it actually went up?

 

 

Yeah I thought about weak battery but tested on two with the same results. This didn't happen to the mod with the CF's. Also as mentioned this seems to happen around that % when browsing other folders while playing music. Yes I also noticed the fluctuation.

 

This is a not a big deal to me as overall the mod seems excellent. The UI is stable and very responsive. No more heat issue. You can't beat a mod with 480GB's. :biggrin:

post #2471 of 3944
hi Head-Fi'ers. i've thoroughly combed through this awesome thread and assembled my part list (Crucial 240gb mSATA SSD + mSATA > 40-pin ZIF adapter) when i realized that the iPod Video 30gb i was aiming to upgrade is actually the 5G—not the 5.5G w/64MB RAM... so now i'm concerned that it won't work well with only 32MB RAM and maybe it would be safer/better just to use the parts to upgrade my 160gb late 2009 iPod Classic (has Genius Mix feature). wondering what the experts here think...

i'm still re-ripping a number of CDs to lossless and presently have ~10k songs consuming ~110GB disk space. my music collection seems much smaller than many here; i'd estimate my total # of tracks will double—at most—when i'm done. (but i'm always buying more music, of course.) i'm a heavy iTunes user, and prefer sticking w/stock iPod firmware (no Rockbox). when i'm home/in office i listen thru Grado SR80i over-ears using AirPlay via gigabit Ethernet to Airport Express connected via optical to a Yamaha receiver.

this upgraded iPod will be 100% for on-the-go listening via 1) Shure SE425 IEMs and 2) connected via 30-pin to OEM Toyota Nav/"JBL Premium" stereo. any performance improvements (reduced latency) when connected to car stereo = major bonus. (as is, stock 160GB Classic is pretty laggy; problem is equally Toyota's janky interface, i'm sure.)

i understand the Wolfson DAC in the iPod 5G is widely preferred to the one in the Classic, but that the amp in the Classic is a bit more powerful for listening purely via line-out. if the consensus is that the 240GB SSD upgrade should be fine for my use in my iPod 5G, i don't mind also grabbing a FiiO E6 if it gives me the "one iPod to rule them all".

thanks for everyone's work creating this incredible resource, and thanks in advance for any opinions you may offer.
post #2472 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhilistine View Post


thanks for everyone's work creating this incredible resource, and thanks in advance for any opinions you may offer.

You will be fine putting the 240gb mSATA card in the 30gb iiPod video. Only thik with the mSATA and offical iPod formware is that you face some overheating and song skipping and these two might be related. That is why we mSATA users chose to put that project to sleep until now that Rockbox is available for mSATA.
post #2473 of 3944
ah, i see. that's a bummer. but is the 7G Classic subject to the same skipping/overheating issues? it has 64MB RAM (unlike the 5G Video). would a higher capacity battery help reduce the overheating?

or am i missing something? does Rockbox now support mSATA?

thanks for the response!
post #2474 of 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

Maybe it's a weak battery, mine continued working until it reached 0% and still I was able to boot it for a few seconds.

 

One thing I noticed though is that the battery percentage fluctuates somehow and drops and then goes back up.

 

See the pictures shows the iPod at 22% then 12 minutes later the battery percentage went up to 31%, instead of going down it actually went up?

 

 

 

 

That's because of the peak high current draw by mSATA SSD. After a while the battery will recover from the voltage dip.

Technically the chemical reaction within the battery can not keep up with the high current draw.

post #2475 of 3944

Quick question

 

Will this :-

 

" http://www.amazon.co.uk/mSATA-adapter-tohiba-hitachi-samsung/dp/B00IA1FNV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394400275&sr=8-1&keywords=Mini+PCIe+mSATA+SSD+to+40pin+ZIF+adapter+card+%28as+tohiba%2Fhitachi%2Fsamsung+zif+hdd%29

 

Mini PCIe mSATA SSD to 40pin ZIF adapter card (as tohiba/hitachi/samsung zif hdd)"

 

work with the msata drive in the ipod 5th gen? 

 

Thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread