or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 154

post #2296 of 8683
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

The iPod mini is filling up with no problems, right now I am using Mediamonkey to transfer 7,626 mp3 320kbps songs and everything is going smooth.

 

 


Nice.  How much did you pay for the card again?  I had a look and it seems he doesn't do buy it now's.  Is the only way to get it to win the auction?

 

Thanks

post #2297 of 8683
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
 


Nice.  How much did you pay for the card again?  I had a look and it seems he doesn't do buy it now's.  Is the only way to get it to win the auction?

 

Thanks

It was an auction for $114.16 shipped

post #2298 of 8683

I actually bought this card from the same seller last week. When I tried to load more than 128 GB of music on it in my iPod Mini 2nd Gen (using Tarkan's CF to SDXC card adapter), all my music disappeared. The same thing happened when I used the card in an iPod Classic 7th Gen (with card adapter and iFlash). I don't know if this is a limitation with iTunes, or if it would've worked with Rockbox. Also, the card passed h2testw when I tested it in the card slot of my laptop. But it failed h2testw when I tested the card while it was in my iPod Mini connected to my computer (and when it was in my iPod Classic).


Edited by potatotornado - 2/13/14 at 11:16pm
post #2299 of 8683

That 128GB limitation may or may not have anything to do with the card tho, it could be a limitation by the ipod's firmware. You can test the card by trying to physically copy the 256GB sdxc card full using the card reader.

post #2300 of 8683

Well I have no doubt that the card can be filled to capacity since it passed h2testw using my laptop card reader. But when it's in the CF to SDXC adapter in either my Mini or Classic, the card passes the first (write) stage of h2testw. But during the second (verify) stage, it fails h2testw right where 128 GB of data has been verified. When it's in my laptop, the card passes both stages.

 

Also, iTunes will show that it successfully loaded the card to full capacity with music. But when I disconnect and check my iPod, no music shows up. My Mini will show 0 songs are loaded. Same thing happens with my Classic when I try to load music plus videos to it.

 

But if I transfer less than 128 GB of music to my Mini, the music does show up (and same again with my Classic). What I want to know is if people who have bought the 256 GB Lexar card are running into the same problem. Or if the problem is unique to just this gray market card. (The back says "Made in Korea" and there's no label.)

 

As of now, I've given up on using the card as iPod storage. I use it now as external storage for my Blu-Ray ISO's in my Dune player.


Edited by potatotornado - 2/14/14 at 1:08am
post #2301 of 8683

You can try the card on an ipod video (5g or 5.5g) to see if that issue is ipod specific. iPod video seems to be the most versatile among all these ipods when it comes to mod. My 256GB CF installed to the ipod video (also rockboxed) has been hiccups free since day 1 and been performing great. It's been fully loaded since the day after it was installed.

 

I have classic 7g but no mini. However, I never tried that 256GB CF card on the 7g.

post #2302 of 8683

Have you run h2testw on the CF card with it inside the iPod Video? And does the original Apple firmware work with the CF card? The fact that the card is failing to pass h2testw's verify stage makes me think that it doesn't matter whether I have the Apple firmware or Rockbox running. The iPod is in disk mode for h2testw to run, and disk mode while on Apple firmware is the same as disk mode on Rockbox firmware, right? Maybe the real problem is the CF to SDXC adapter I'm using.


Edited by potatotornado - 2/14/14 at 1:39am
post #2303 of 8683
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatotornado View Post
 

Have you run h2testw on the CF card with it inside the iPod Video? And does the original Apple firmware work with the CF card? I actually prefer iTunes to Rockbox, especially with the Mini. Rockbox drains the battery a lot faster.

 

No I didn't run h2testw on the CF card with it inside the iPod Video. I have no patience running h2testw. :)

 

Yes the ipod now has dual boots, and it was restored to apple's OF first. However, I never copied anything to play under OF. All I want is RB.


Edited by DMinor - 2/14/14 at 1:36am
post #2304 of 8683

I just reached 128GB music in the iPod mini but I syncing using MediaMonkey, let's see if it doesn't give me any problems, on worse case scenario I will the install rockbox and try again instead of the OF.

post #2305 of 8683
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatotornado View Post

Well I have no doubt that the card can be filled to capacity since it passed h2testw using my laptop card reader. But when it's in the CF to SDXC adapter in either my Mini or Classic, the card passes the first (write) stage of h2testw. But during the second (verify) stage, it fails h2testw right where 128 GB of data has been verified. When it's in my laptop, the card passes both stages.

Also, iTunes will show that it successfully loaded the card to full capacity with music. But when I disconnect and check my iPod, no music shows up. My Mini will show 0 songs are loaded. Same thing happens with my Classic when I try to load music plus videos to it.

But if I transfer less than 128 GB of music to my Mini, the music does show up (and same again with my Classic). What I want to know is if people who have bought the 256 GB Lexar card are running into the same problem. Or if the problem is unique to just this gray market card. (The back says "Made in Korea" and there's no label.)

As of now, I've given up on using the card as iPod storage. I use it now as external storage for my Blu-Ray ISO's in my Dune player.


I have been experiencing the xsame issue with limits, but it is only associated with solid state cards. I've found that at a certain point, my Crucial mSATA 446gb v5.5, my Lexar+Tarkan 256gb sdxc v7, and my SuperTalent 256gb v5.5 all report 0 songs after loading above 35k songs. Everything is on the card, and the itunesdb is the expected size, it's just that the ipod no longer reads the db. This does not happen with the Toshiba HDD, where i have loaded 52k songs in >215gb. I am still trying to determine what the limits are.
post #2306 of 8683
  • dr408517: Do you think it's possible to clone an image of the data on your 240 GB Toshiba HDD onto your 256 GB Lexar card to get around the file limitation problem?
post #2307 of 8683

Oh crap!

 

Everything I put on it after 128gb is getting screwed up! I guess I will need to go with rockbox and convert my lossless into MP3 320kbps and then transfer them to the iPod mini.

 

Hey Dminor, how many songs you have one your 256GB iPod video?

 

 

post #2308 of 8683
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

Oh crap!

 

Everything I put on it after 128gb is getting screwed up! I guess I will need to go with rockbox and convert my lossless into MP3 320kbps and then transfer them to the iPod mini.

 

Hey Dminor, how many songs you have one your 256GB iPod video?

 

 

 

See the screen shot. Most of mine are images of the CD's instead of individual tracks tho. All are FLAC's.

 

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

post #2309 of 8683
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

Oh crap!

 

Everything I put on it after 128gb is getting screwed up! I guess I will need to go with rockbox and convert my lossless into MP3 320kbps and then transfer them to the iPod mini.

 

Hey Dminor, how many songs you have one your 256GB iPod video?

 

 


Considering the mini had at best 6gb when it came out, 128 isn't to be sneezed at!  That said it must be dissapointing to have it confirmed that there are limitations with at least Itunes.  It'll be interesting to see if Rockbox can get round it on the mini or not.  Good luck!

post #2310 of 8683

Anyone use Komputer Bay CF 128gb 600x Card on a 7th gen?

Any issues with that card brand?

 

Cheers!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread