Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 153

post #2281 of 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

 

You should receive her reply in the next day if not on the same day. I will remind her today of your email.

 

For the record, I am not affiliated in any way with Wellcore and I am simply willing to help my fellow head-fi'ers who are interested in getting this card. Based on my experience so far, the seller is reasonable and will take care of the customers should any issues arise with the cards.

 

As to your question on buying ipod, from my experience buying faulty ones with known issue (sad face) is reasonably safe, as long as you confirm with the seller that the ipod had sound before the sad face appeared. I bought a few off ebay with that same issue and all of them work with drive swap.  Most of my collection were bought in good conditions from my local Craiglist sellers. But these days the 5g's (5.5g's) become rarer and rarer showing at Craiglist.

 

Thanks. Not too bothered when I get a response as I'm just after a quote atm.

post #2282 of 2799

Hey guys, first post here. There's some serious info in this thread and you guys seem to know your ****, so I thought you might be able to help me out.

 

I've got a 5.5G 80GB iPod Video and would simply like to increase it's capacity (not to mention, the thing is slow as hell, I figure a newer HDD might help). I read a couple posts back, dr said the toshiba 240GB is the best bet for a 5 - 5.5 G which sounds good, since I'm assuming an HDD is going to be easier on my bank account than an SSD. An increase in battery life would be nice from an SSD, but i'm more concerned about capacity and price.

 

EDIT: Is this the correct HDD: Toshiba MK2431GAH?

 

I've never opened the thing up, so I'm not sure what it looks like inside... figured I'd ask some questions before digging in. Sounds like once I replace the HDD, I'll have some extra space since I've got a fat one. Would I be able to buy a new slim back, or is there not enough room towards the top? Also, my shell/case is pretty shifty as it is... I have my iPod encased in a rubber case right now, so i never worry about it, but the face and back separate easily. Any idea if that's easy to fix?

 

Also, sounds like the connection in mine is "ce-ata" as opposed to... ZIF? Do I need to buy an adapter or anything for my model?

 

I'll keep reading, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks.:) 


Edited by revuhree - 2/12/14 at 9:02am
post #2283 of 2799

My special  Ipod MINI  2 gen hand polished chrome, with new 1500 mha battery is for sale cheap. All you need is to put a CF in and that's it.

PM if interested.

post #2284 of 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by revuhree View Post
 

Hey guys, first post here. There's some serious info in this thread and you guys seem to know your ****, so I thought you might be able to help me out.

 

I've got a 5.5G 80GB iPod Video and would simply like to increase it's capacity (not to mention, the thing is slow as hell, I figure a newer HDD might help). I read a couple posts back, dr said the toshiba 240GB is the best bet for a 5 - 5.5 G which sounds good, since I'm assuming an HDD is going to be easier on my bank account than an SSD. An increase in battery life would be nice from an SSD, but i'm more concerned about capacity and price.

 

EDIT: Is this the correct HDD: Toshiba MK2431GAH? yes this is the drive.

 

I've never opened the thing up, so I'm not sure what it looks like inside... figured I'd ask some questions before digging in. Sounds like once I replace the HDD, I'll have some extra space since I've got a fat one. Would I be able to buy a new slim back, or is there not enough room towards the top? Also, my shell/case is pretty shifty as it is... I have my iPod encased in a rubber case right now, so i never worry about it, but the face and back separate easily. Any idea if that's easy to fix?

 

The Toshiba MK2431GAH has the same thickness (8 mm) as the stock 80GB HDD, so you don't gain extra space with that drive swap.

 

 

Also, sounds like the connection in mine is "ce-ata" as opposed to... ZIF? Do I need to buy an adapter or anything for my model?

 

The stock 80GB HDD and the Toshiba MK2431GAH both are ZIF.

I'll keep reading, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks.:) 


Edited by DMinor - 2/12/14 at 11:06am
post #2285 of 2799

Rad. Thanks a ton DMinor. Hopefully all goes well.

 

Just bought myself some inexpensive Yuin earbuds, but I'll make sure to read up on other sections of the forums before buying something more serious. Cheers.

post #2286 of 2799

One correction. The drive thickness for the stock 80GB HDD and the Toshiba MK2431GAH is 8mm. The slim 30GB model has a 5mm thick HDD.

 

The 120GB Toshiba MK1234GAL also has the 5mm thickness.

post #2287 of 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike097 View Post
 

been wondering if someone tested a non-crucial msata have experience heat/stability issues.....heard somewhere that those run hot in a pc application......still a pipe dream to have 1tb of goodness under a dual-platter classic 6g  ....those things use a bus that is related to the mmc/sdcard than the pata drives uses.

I am currently using the msata in the link, so far I have not had any issues with heat. I have had it since June 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3X73EE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #2288 of 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reima View Post
 

I am currently using the msata in the link, so far I have not had any issues with heat. I have had it since June 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3X73EE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

So the heat issue could be mSATA drive specific. The one I tried was a Crucial.

 

How is the battery performance and UI stability? Did you try to rockbox it?

post #2289 of 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

 

So the heat issue could be mSATA drive specific. The one I tried was a Crucial.

 

How is the battery performance and UI stability? Did you try to rockbox it?


I thought you were quite happy with the 256 gig cf and awaiting the 512 :P :)

 

That's not a bad price point in the uk for the mydigital ssd in the uk either.  Typically the msata adapter required ISN'T sold here so I'd have to import that instead (always something).

post #2290 of 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
 


I thought you were quite happy with the 256 gig cf and awaiting the 512 :P :)

 

That's not a bad price point in the uk for the mydigital ssd in the uk either.  Typically the msata adapter required ISN'T sold here so I'd have to import that instead (always something).

 

Absolutely.

 

If, only if, that heat issue is msata drive specific and battery performance doesn't suck and UI is stable, then there is a possibility for a 512GB msata mod at a much more affordable price.

post #2291 of 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

 

So the heat issue could be mSATA drive specific. The one I tried was a Crucial.

 

How is the battery performance and UI stability? Did you try to rockbox it?

Not sure about the battery performance as I use it in the car so it is always connected to the power supply.

UI seems to be stable, I have it set to shuffle and it turns on/off when I start/shutoff the car.

I could not get Rockbox to work, OFW works just fine for how I am using it. In my main DIYiMod I have 128GB CF with Rockbox.

post #2292 of 2799

Well the 256gb iPod mini project was a success.

 

I got the 256gb SD card from this seller. Didn't install it until I fully tested it, here's the results:

 

Warning: Only 244526 of 244527 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 49.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 61.4 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

 

The card is FAST!  Installed it in the mini 2nd gen board and restored it with iTunes, took some time for iTunes to recognize the iPod because of the big storage I think but it prompted me to restore and voila! The iPod is running solid. Will use it tomorrow all day to make sure it's stable.

 

Here's a picture of the about menu showing the new storage capacity. :gs1000smile:

 

post #2293 of 2799

Great news! A much more affordable option for a 256GB SSD mod. Now see how the battery performs also the UI stability on the mini. Attempting to rockbox it?

 

 

post #2294 of 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Great news! A much more affordable option for a 256GB SSD mod. Now see how the battery performs also the UI stability on the mini. Attempting to rockbox it?

UI seems to take a couple of seconds when you browse the iPod, I'll see how it performs tomorrow when I use it. And no, I will leave the stock OS. Rockbox is not efficient managing the battery life on the mini. I've tried before. The seller only have 10 card left, so anyone who needs them better hurry up! I tested the card and as you can see it ranks pretty good
post #2295 of 2799

The iPod mini is filling up with no problems, right now I am using Mediamonkey to transfer 7,626 mp3 320kbps songs and everything is going smooth.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread