I been modding a little while, and I wondered if anyone has run into these issues at the 256gb level:
1. Mod of 5.5 with SuperTalent DuraDrive ZT2 - new board purchased from idemigods. iTunes load of 29K songs in first playlist executes with no problem with about 160gb. Load of next playlist with 16K (for total of 195gb) ends with iPod reporting no songs. File folders on iPod have successfully loaded all 46K songs.
2. Mod of 6 or 7 with Tarkan+256 Lexar SDXC frequently stops with Error 69. Eventually freezes system and must be restored.
Anybody know what is going on here?
I noticed there's been some back an forth about SSD upgrades in 6+7s, mSATA upgrades, etc. Having tested numerous combinations, I can say the following with certainty:
1. Thin iPod 6s and 7s can be upgraded to 128gb SSD with Kingspec KSD-ZF18.6-XXXMS without hassle. It will not work in 5 or 5.5. The SuperTalent DD ZT2 works in 5 series but does not work in 7; I have not (yet) gotten a 256gb (S)SD upgrade to work in 7 (see above). Crucial mSATAs do not work in 6 or 7. I am very interested in the Wellcore CF+Tarkan testing, and even more interested in the new Lexcor 512gb CF+Tarkan combo.
2. mSATA iPods using Crucial 256 and 480gb cards are entirely too unstable and generate too much heat to be practical. I've built 2 using a 5 and a 5.5. On load of more than 5K songs at a time, the heat is too much and can burn the mSATA-to-zif adapter and ribbon cable enough to render them unusable.
3. Toshiba HDD is by far the most stable 240gb upgrade for 5/5.5 + 7. Placed in a 6, it will reformat the drive to 120gb.