Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 141

post #2101 of 3502
Have you guys tried this adapter going directly from SD to ZIF yet? I wonder if that were a bit too wide for Mini since it's pretty much the same width as any regular 1.8" ZIF drives

http://www.szitgo.cn/offer/1203743225.html

http://detail.1688.com/offer/1203743225.html

http://b2b.hc360.com/supplyself/198514821.html

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=17564261199

http://www.polotek.cn/index.php?p=6&lang=en&id=107

http://factory.dhgate.com/products-search/sd-to-zif-adapter.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/It-go-sd-zif-adapter-sd-1-8-ce-zif-hdd-sd-adaptor-sd-ce/1593712283.html

http://polotek.en.alibaba.com/product/1072708653-214290577/SD_to_ZIF_HDD_Adapter_card_1_8_CE.html
post #2102 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd View Post
 

Cmarti,

 

Not trying to say you are wrong but according to this it does not (unless I'm reading it wrong). Everything I've read says the first gen does not. Could you help me out and check the identity in itunes and verify the board is a first gen, just trying to clarify. Thanks.

 

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/specs/ipod_mini.html

Nope, it is a 1st gen iPod mini. I bought two, a 1st gen which I kept for me and a 2nd gen one which I used the SD to CF adapter and now it uses a 128gb SD card and I gave it to my son.

 

When I was working on mine I had a problem finding the right click wheel for it because when you order them from eBay the seller was sending me the click wheel for the 2nd gen mini and the 1st gen mini doesn't even boot with that clickwheel. I ended up ordering a used 1st gen mini clickwheel and removed the white wheel and center button from the new 2nd gen clickwheel that's why the iPod's clickwheel color matched with the color of the aluminum body.

 

I can take pictures of the the board but I won't do it until I receive the 256gb CF card.

 

iTunes shows the iPod as it came from factory, pink iPod and gray letters on the clickwheel (only 1st gen iPod has that combination)

 

 

 


Edited by cmarti - 1/27/14 at 5:35am
post #2103 of 3502
SD to CF adaptors are not good for nibi especially a poor battery life 6 hours or so Best to go with CF direct as uses muchbkess energy and with a 1500 mha battery playback time can go up to 30 h on mini 2 gen.
post #2104 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

SD to CF adaptors are not good for nibi especially a poor battery life 6 hours or so Best to go with CF direct as uses much less energy and with a 1500mah battery playback time can go up to 30 h on mini 2 gen.

That's another thing, my iPod mini battery doesn't last any longer than maybe 9 hours even though I am using a CF card. 

 

Let's see if I can get more run time with this battery that is waiting to be installed this week.

 

Hey music day, can you check if your iPod mini pauses playing music if you unplug the headphone 3.5mm while it's playing?

post #2105 of 3502
Sorry I cannot check that as I have no HDD or card in my mini as I want to replace it but if you asking if is 2 gen then I am 100% that it is.YOu can get much bigger batteries for mini. Got a 1500 mha compared with the 650 you want to buy and yes is a trusted seller before you ask.
Edited by musicday - 1/27/14 at 5:54am
post #2106 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

Sorry I cannot check that as I have no HDD or card in my mini as I want to replace it but if you asking if is 2 gen then I am 100% that it is.YOu can get much bigger batteries for mini. Got a 1500 mha compared with the 650 you want to buy and yes is a trusted seller before you ask.

That's cool, no worries.

 

Thanks.

post #2107 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

cmarti - FYI, there is a HF forum member (caseyfriday) who has been trying to mod the mini with 256GB SD card. Last time he ran into a problem but not sure if he has the issue sorted out.

 

http://retrosonicfidelity.com/verge-256gb-retromod-minis/

 

Let's hope your 256GB CF mod on the mini will be a smooth one.

Interesting, I wonder if he used a good SD to CF adapter. Looking at the pictures it looks like he stripped the adapter to make room for capacitors?

post #2108 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinis View Post
 

One simple final question - will a Kingspec 32GB SSD ZIF work in an iPod Classic 7th generation 160GB slim? I am asking this because it is cheaper to buy this SSD (47$ on eBay) than to buy a ZIF to CF adapter + CF card.

 

Thank you!

So I will answer this question by myself :) I just received a Kingspec 32GB SSD ZIF and I can confirm that it works perfectly in an iPod Classic 7th generation 160GB slim. Cheap, painless and very effective - I'm really happy and hope it will last for many years!

 

Regards

post #2109 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

That's another thing, my iPod mini battery doesn't last any longer than maybe 9 hours even though I am using a CF card. 

 

Let's see if I can get more run time with this battery that is waiting to be installed this week.

 

Hey music day, can you check if your iPod mini pauses playing music if you unplug the headphone 3.5mm while it's playing?


My 2nd gen mini pauses when you take the headphones out if that helps.  One thing I do get is gaps in music, I thought the 2nd gen did gapless?

post #2110 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
 


My 2nd gen mini pauses when you take the headphones out if that helps.  One thing I do get is gaps in music, I thought the 2nd gen did gapless?

Yeah, mine doesn't pause when you unplug the headphones.   

post #2111 of 3502

Anyone can compare both Mini vs 5.5 generation?

post #2112 of 3502

Rockbox will take care of the gapless and automatic pause/resume when headphone is unplugged/plugged.  Too bad it doesn't work on my amp. :)

post #2113 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post
 

Anyone can compare both Mini vs 5.5 generation?

I have both and to me they sound the same out of the headphone jack.

post #2114 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

Rockbox will take care of the gapless and automatic pause/resume when headphone is unplugged/plugged.  Too bad it doesn't work on my amp. :)


I would use rockbox in a heartbeat (I loath Itunes with a passion, always have always will) but for some reason it doesn't work with my m4b's (audiobooks) that I have.  As they are about 82 gig's worth of my collection I'm rather loath to have to batch convert them to mp3 or whatever!

post #2115 of 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post
 

I have both and to me they sound the same out of the headphone jack.

 

I will do a clean LO mod (take the analog signals directly to the lod pins lifted off board) on the mini once I receive it and then compare it to my 5g/5.5g diymod's. Although from what I have read they don't have the exactly same dac, but both implemented with the Wolfson chips just different models.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
 


I would use rockbox in a heartbeat (I loath Itunes with a passion, always have always will) but for some reason it doesn't work with my m4b's (audiobooks) that I have.  As they are about 82 gig's worth of my collection I'm rather loath to have to batch convert them to mp3 or whatever!

 

Yeah just batch convert them to mp3's and load them to the coming-soon 256GB CF with your music all together. :)

 

Or use the dual boot. Boot to the Apple OF for the m4b's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread