Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 140

post #2086 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

I expect the stock mini will sound on par with the stock 5.5g as both have the excellent Wolfson chips. Cmarti may chip in as he has both the min and 5g/5.5g.
To my ears they sound the same, the mini's battery life is shorter, maybe 9 hours on a charge. I read today that when the 1st generation mini was released the battery life was 8 hours and then when the 2nd generation mini was released Apple did some changes to it that extended the battery life to 18 hours... I wonder what Apple they did to the 2nd gen mini to make such a huge impact on the battery life.
Edited by cmarti - 1/26/14 at 1:58pm
post #2087 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post


To my ears they sound the same, the mini's battery life is shorter, maybe 9 hours on a charge. I read today that when the 1st generation mini was released the battery life was 8 hours and then when the 2nd generation mini was released Apple did some changes to it that extended the battery life to 18 hours... I wonder what Apple they did to the 2nd gen mini to make such a huge impact on the battery life.

 

How can you tell between a 1st gen and a 2nd gen mini's? They both look the same, correct?

post #2088 of 3294
On 2 gen mini the color of the body is he same on click wheel. If you have a silver model is hard to tell,also on the back is printed the memory.
post #2089 of 3294
There is a simple test in addition to what musicday says, play music and while listening to the music unplug the headphone cable from the iPod mini, if it pauses then you have a second generation iPod mini.

Of course you need to do this on official software not RockBox.
post #2090 of 3294

Not absolutely sure about this but I don't believe the first gen supporst lossless.

post #2091 of 3294

Look what I found from my closet, a Coach case for the mini. I can't remember why I have this case, either I bought it by mistake or I owned a mini before (which I can't even recall). LOL.

 

Well it won't be wasted this time.

 

post #2092 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd View Post

Not absolutely sure about this but I don't believe the first gen supporst lossless.
It does, mine is 1st gen and plays ALAC just fine.
post #2093 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Look what I found from my closet, a Coach case for the mini.



The one I bought for my son came with one of those but in pink, I had the brilliant idea of painting it with those things they sell to paint clothes... didn't work and it ended up destroyed. Not all my projects are a sucess biggrin.gif
post #2094 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post


The one I bought for my son came with one of those but in pink, I had the brilliant idea of painting it with those things they sell to paint clothes... didn't work and it ended up destroyed. Not all my projects are a sucess biggrin.gif


Haha, I would have put it back on ebay and see what happens. :)

post #2095 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post


It does, mine is 1st gen and plays ALAC just fine.

Cmarti,

 

Not trying to say you are wrong but according to this it does not (unless I'm reading it wrong). Everything I've read says the first gen does not. Could you help me out and check the identity in itunes and verify the board is a first gen, just trying to clarify. Thanks.

 

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/specs/ipod_mini.html

post #2096 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd View Post

Cmarti,

Not trying to say you are wrong but according to this it does not (unless I'm reading it wrong). Everything I've read says the first gen does not. Could you help me out and check the identity in itunes and verify the board is a first gen, just trying to clarify. Thanks.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/specs/ipod_mini.html

It would if it's rockbox'd. wink.gif
post #2097 of 3294
Yes Rockbox is awesome and I am still waiting for the guy to receive his 256 GB Welcore CF card and test it to see if it works in both mini and iPod video.
post #2098 of 3294

These old ipods (especially these 5g/5.5g's) are the best gifts to us from Apple considering so much we could do for excellent sound quality (with a clean LO mod), big SSD storage, battery performance and absolutely BEST UI powered by Rockbox.

 

You guys better stockpile a few of these 5g/5.5g's if you can so you will never run out of it for life time. :wink_face:

 

 

 

post #2099 of 3294

how about ipod gen 4 b/w
can i put ssd in it?

post #2100 of 3294

cmarti - FYI, there is a HF forum member (caseyfriday) who has been trying to mod the mini with 256GB SD card. Last time he ran into a problem but not sure if he has the issue sorted out.

 

http://retrosonicfidelity.com/verge-256gb-retromod-minis/

 

Let's hope your 256GB CF mod on the mini will be a smooth one.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread