or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 117

post #1741 of 8771

Hey guys I plan on buying a broken for parts iPod Video on eBay. Are there any tips you guys have on buying broken iPods? What in particular should I look out for? I see a lot of iPod won't turn/power on or no audio? What I'm primarily looking for now is an iPod that boots up with some sort of hard drive failure as I plan on doing the Tarkan mod.

post #1742 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post
 

Hey guys I plan on buying a broken for parts iPod Video on eBay. Are there any tips you guys have on buying broken iPods? What in particular should I look out for? I see a lot of iPod won't turn/power on or no audio? What I'm primarily looking for now is an iPod that boots up with some sort of hard drive failure as I plan on doing the Tarkan mod.

 

Avoid the following ......

 

1. don't turn on

2. no sound

3. turn on with a red circle and red cross

4. Make sure no water damage

 

buy these (most likely bad HDD)  .....

1. turn on with a sad face

2. turn on with message to restore

 

Before you buy, ask the seller and make sure the unit had sound just before having the issue. No sound because of the headphone jack is easy to fix by replacing the jack, but no sound from the board is irreparable.

post #1743 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post
 

 

Avoid the following ......

 

1. don't turn on

2. no sound

3. turn on with a red circle and red cross

4. Make sure no water damage

 

buy these (most likely bad HDD)  .....

1. turn on with a sad face

2. turn on with message to restore

 

Before you buy, ask the seller and make sure the unit had sound just before having the issue. No sound because of the headphone jack is easy to fix by replacing the jack, but no sound from the board is irreparable.

 

Thanks, what price is a fair price for a broken iPod Video? How about a working version? Also any alternative sites other than eBay and Craigslist to get them? Amazon is pretty expensive compared to eBay.

post #1744 of 8771
OK I think I fixed my freezing Ipod file transfer issue. I went into my laptop power settings, and had to disable USB selective suspending. I think after a while the system was suspending the USB port mid transfer and causing it to freeze. Essentially I was getting an error as if the Ipod wasn't there anymore.

As it stands now, I un installed Rockbox, and am syncing the entire music library via iTunes. Currently it's at 2100 files out of 12500. Fingers crossed it works.


On to another question. Does Rockbox offer anything special? I know I can play flac with Rockbox, but I generally import CDs as Apple lossless format.

Is there any other real advantage to Rockbox over apple software?

Which do you prefer and why?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
post #1745 of 8771

Nope, disregard, that didn't fix it.  :(  Back to the drawing board.

 

@DMinor,  Can't wait to hear your experience with the 256GB CF Card.  If it works out I may just buy one from your dealer if that's possible.  Right now I'm running a CF Adapter to 128GB SDXC Card.  Currently I'm having issues and wondering if it's due to my SD Card.  Awhile back is Synced fine with 8K songs.  Now its just problematic.  Hoping a CF Card would work.

 

Here is another CF Card I'm looking at as well.  128GB, but the price is decent.

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA26X0PC5184

 

Also what are the best options for a reliable fast hard drive?  Would an mSata SSD be better than a CF Card? Anything wrong with using an SDXC Card?

 

My end goal is to have a functional, reliable iMod with as much capacity as possible.  Although I'd like to keep the price down as well :p


Edited by DR650SE - 12/23/13 at 2:49am
post #1746 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYabbz View Post
 

 

Thanks, what price is a fair price for a broken iPod Video? How about a working version? Also any alternative sites other than eBay and Craigslist to get them? Amazon is pretty expensive compared to eBay.

 

I once bought a broken ipod video 30GB off eBay for 20 bucks. Put in a good drive it works fine. I also collected multiple working units from my local Craiglist sellers ranging from 25 bucks to 60 bucks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post
 

Nope, disregard, that didn't fix it.  :(  Back to the drawing board.

 

@DMinor,  Can't wait to hear your experience with the 256GB CF Card.  If it works out I may just buy one from your dealer if that's possible.  Right now I'm running a CF Adapter to 128GB SDXC Card.  Currently I'm having issues and wondering if it's due to my SD Card.  Awhile back is Synced fine with 8K songs.  Now its just problematic.  Hoping a CF Card would work.

 

Here is another CF Card I'm looking at as well.  128GB, but the price is decent.

 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA26X0PC5184

 

Also what are the best options for a reliable fast hard drive?  Would an mSata SSD be better than a CF Card? Anything wrong with using an SDXC Card?

 

My end goal is to have a functional, reliable iMod with as much capacity as possible.  Although I'd like to keep the price down as well :p

 

Man sorry to hear your trouble with the card but I have no idea.

 

Will update this thread about the 256gb CF as soon as I give it a try.  Sure if it works I can help you to get one for that price.

 

I also have the 128GB CF card you linked. It works without any issues even with Rockbox.

 

I don't recommend the mSATA drive (due to heat issue and shorter battery life). Also it doesn't work on Rockbox.

 

My recommendation is CF.

post #1747 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post

OK I think I fixed my freezing Ipod file transfer issue. I went into my laptop power settings, and had to disable USB selective suspending. I think after a while the system was suspending the USB port mid transfer and causing it to freeze. Essentially I was getting an error as if the Ipod wasn't there anymore.

As it stands now, I un installed Rockbox, and am syncing the entire music library via iTunes. Currently it's at 2100 files out of 12500. Fingers crossed it works.


On to another question. Does Rockbox offer anything special? I know I can play flac with Rockbox, but I generally import CDs as Apple lossless format.

Is there any other real advantage to Rockbox over apple software?

Which do you prefer and why?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk


Rockbox doesn't play m4b format from what I can tell.  This is the native audiobook format, so if you have a lot of those (as I do) you'll be out of luck.  I could batch convert the lot but that's a lot of hassle and another duplication of library.  Otherwise I'd use rockbox like a shot.

post #1748 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post

Good question, haven't tried yet. I think after several hours of headache and numerous formats it may *MAY* be working. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

I have had issues in the past with this very annoying iPod. It copied files ok with a hard drive but when switching to a an SD card, it just copied a few songs, then slowed down like hell and refused to go any further. That in Apple native format or RockBox. The issue I had was with the card, if I could replace that expensive card with another one, I would have been fine.

Good luck though and hope you get it to work because once you do, it's nice to have so much space.
post #1749 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post


My recommendation is CF.

+1
Edited by musicheaven - 12/23/13 at 1:04pm
post #1750 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

I once bought a broken ipod video 30GB off eBay for 20 bucks. Put in a good drive it works fine. I also collected multiple working units from my local Craiglist sellers ranging from 25 bucks to 60 bucks.

It's a gamble and depending on the vendor's honesty in describing the actual fault, you can loose your shirt. I have bought quite a few of those so called broken iPods with or without the service icon showing up, the no sound ones, etc... The only way to surely buy a workable iPod if it says used or that the description gives you the impression that the iPod can work and you can make a case with eBay if it turns out that is not the case.

A beware buyer in the cloud is worth two hiding in the bush. wink.gif
Edited by musicheaven - 12/23/13 at 1:02pm
post #1751 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


It's a gamble and depending on the vendor's honesty in describing the actual fault, you can loose your shirt. I have bought quite a few of those so called broken iPods with or without the service icon showing up, the no sound ones, etc... The only way to surely buy a workable iPod if it says used or that the description gives you the impression that the iPod can work and you can make a case with eBay if it turns out that is not the case.

A beware buyer in the cloud is worth two hiding in the bush. wink.gif

 

It never hurts to ask seller many questions. With that, use your instincts. So far my instincts have been dead right. I feel bidding on these dead ipods on eBay has more fun than playing the Casino games with better returns. LOL.

post #1752 of 8771

Hello everyone, 
I've done a mod in my ipod video:

Bought ZIF-CF

Get a CF-MicroSD

and a 64gb sd

i've put all together and plugged to itunes
it recognizes it alright, but when it restores and restarts, itunes tells me once again to restore the ipod.
The thing is that when I unplug the ipod and plug again everything i've done with the disk restarts, even windows ask me to format the unit.
All this bugs me off, because it seems to work everything but only in the end of the process it crash.
Can anyone give me some clue about it ?
Thank you!
(excuse me about my english, I'm from Spain)

post #1753 of 8771

Hello everyone, 
I've done a mod in my ipod video:
Bought ZIF-CF
Get a CF-MicroSD
and a 64gb sd
i've put all together and plugged to itunes
it recognizes it alright, but when it restores and restarts, itunes tells me once again to restore the ipod.
The thing is that when I unplug the ipod and plug again everything i've done with the disk restarts, even windows ask me to format the unit.
All this bugs me off, because it seems to work everything but only in the end of the process it crash.
Can anyone give me some clue about it ?
Thank you!
(excuse me about my english, I'm from Spain)

post #1754 of 8771
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalerosky View Post
 

Hello everyone, 
I've done a mod in my ipod video:
Bought ZIF-CF
Get a CF-MicroSD
and a 64gb sd
i've put all together and plugged to itunes
it recognizes it alright, but when it restores and restarts, itunes tells me once again to restore the ipod.
The thing is that when I unplug the ipod and plug again everything i've done with the disk restarts, even windows ask me to format the unit.
All this bugs me off, because it seems to work everything but only in the end of the process it crash.
Can anyone give me some clue about it ?
Thank you!
(excuse me about my english, I'm from Spain)

 

It could be issue with the ribbon cable (linking the board to your ZIF-CF). Also format the SDXC card to FAT32 (use the Hp USB Disk Storage Tool) before restore. If that's not enough, then there may be compatibility issue with the SDXC card.

post #1755 of 8771

Some of the dead ipods bought from eBay have risen to the top .LOL.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread