Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 111

post #1651 of 3420

Ok guys, I decided to take a baby step first before pursuing on that 100 hrs of battery.

 

I just ordered this 1600 mAh iPhone 3G battery. With the CF mod and the thick back plate, this battery should fit without anything else. Need to desolder the ribbon cable from the stock battery and then solder to this one. Let's see how many hrs of battery I can get out this sucker.

 

post #1652 of 3420

Nice, it'll be nice to see how charging and such works on it.

 

Here is another place to look for batteries.  The also have dimensions.  So if you can determine how much free space you have to include some double sided tape, it's a good place to look.  Eager to see how this works out.  Good luck! :D

 

http://www.all-battery.com/37vli-polymerandli-ionbatterypacks.aspx?page=2

post #1653 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Ok guys, I decided to take a baby step first before pursuing on that 100 hrs of battery.

I just ordered this 1600 mAh iPhone 3G battery. With the CF mod and the thick back plate, this battery should fit without anything else. Need to desolder the ribbon cable from the stock battery and then solder to this one. Let's see how many hrs of battery I can get out this sucker.



That's certainly prudent, that battery looks huge compared to the stock one. I think you can approximate the number of hours by roughly dividing the capacity of the ordered battery by the one that was there before, then multiply by the number of hours from the stock battery. A rough estimate would be around 45 hours assuming a 15 hours play time for the stock battery and a 500 mAh capacity.

Well can't wait to see how far you can push that battery. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1654 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


That's certainly prudent, that battery looks huge compared to the stock one. I think you can approximate the number of hours by roughly dividing the capacity of the ordered battery by the one that was there before, then multiply by the number of hours from the stock battery. A rough estimate would be around 45 hours assuming a 15 hours play time for the stock battery and a 500 mAh capacity.

Well can't wait to see how far you can push that battery. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Yes it's much larger in size than the stock battery but will fit the space between the CF and the thick back plate. The thickness of this battery is about 3.5mm only.

 

The battery swap should be easy one barring any explosion. :wink_face:

post #1655 of 3420

I think that any battery already set up to work with USB charging (like the iPhone 3G battery you've picked) would be fine, because it is rated to charge with the same USB charging conditions. 

 

I have a close friend who was involved with (I kid you not) a startup focused on fast battery chargers for power tools.  I'll ask him what the gotchas might be, if any, in replacing a low-capacity battery in a device with a high-capacity one.  There might be something in the charging profile of the device that would affect things.

post #1656 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post
 

Nice, it'll be nice to see how charging and such works on it.

 

Here is another place to look for batteries.  The also have dimensions.  So if you can determine how much free space you have to include some double sided tape, it's a good place to look.  Eager to see how this works out.  Good luck! :D

 

http://www.all-battery.com/37vli-polymerandli-ionbatterypacks.aspx?page=2

 

Thanks for the link. Good info on batteries. I will work on swapping the battery as soon as it is received. Will update the thread on the results.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

I think that any battery already set up to work with USB charging (like the iPhone 3G battery you've picked) would be fine, because it is rated to charge with the same USB charging conditions. 

 

I have a close friend who was involved with (I kid you not) a startup focused on fast battery chargers for power tools.  I'll ask him what the gotchas might be, if any, in replacing a low-capacity battery in a device with a high-capacity one.  There might be something in the charging profile of the device that would affect things.

 

Yeah it makes sense. Thanks for checking.

post #1657 of 3420

@DMinor,  I've been admiring your Amp Wallet.  I am going to be running my 5.5G iMod with a Fiio E17.  Problem is that the E17 has the buttons all on the side.  Does the Amp Wallet only have the clear vinal on the one side?  Would it be able to accomadate access from both sides?  One side for the iPod and the other for the E17?  I'm trying to find something that may work but coming up short.:p

post #1658 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SE View Post
 

@DMinor,  I've been admiring your Amp Wallet.  I am going to be running my 5.5G iMod with a Fiio E17.  Problem is that the E17 has the buttons all on the side.  Does the Amp Wallet only have the clear vinal on the one side?  Would it be able to accomadate access from both sides?  One side for the iPod and the other for the E17?  I'm trying to find something that may work but coming up short.:p

 

You can also access from the opposite end of the LOD if the two short straps are loosely tightened. My UHA-6S MK2 has the power and charge buttons all on the opposite side of the LOD. Hope the pics below will give you the idea of what I am talking about.

 

The wallet doesn't look fancy but it's practical for your portable gear. It also protects your gear from normal wear and accidental drop. I bought one for my Alo RX Mk2 first, then I bought another one for the UHA-6S Mk2. I am not sure about your amp size, so you need to check that out and make sure it will fit not too tight or not too loose.

 

 

 

 

post #1659 of 3420

Hmm,  I'm not sure it will work.  Here is the E17.  Basically the iPod and E17 will sit back to back, which is really limiting the options :/  Sorry for the large photos.

 

IMG_239249.jpg839353.jpgIMG_239248.jpgIMG_239247.jpg

post #1660 of 3420

Yeah it doesn't seem to work with the amp wallet, since you have to adjust volume from top of the amp.

post #1661 of 3420

OK guys I tried to mod the iphone 3G battery using the ribbon cable from the ipod video stock battery. Everything seemed straight forward but it didn't work. See pic below. I took off the 3G's battery cable and soldered the ipod video's battery cable to it. when I turned on the ipod there was no response. I even tried two ribbon cables no luck. :confused:

 

post #1662 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

OK guys I tried to mod the iphone 3G battery using the ribbon cable from the ipod video stock battery. Everything seemed straight forward but it didn't work. See pic below. I took off the 3G's battery cable and soldered the ipod video's battery cable to it. when I turned on the ipod there was no response. I even tried two ribbon cables no luck. confused.gif


I wonder if anyone have done this before.
post #1663 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post


I wonder if anyone have done this before.

 

Not sure. The size of the 3G battery fits perfectly inside the ipod with the fat back plate. After I soldered the cable to the battery, I measured 3.7 volts between the + and -.

post #1664 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

Not sure. The size of the 3G battery fits perfectly inside the ipod with the fat back plate. After I soldered the cable to the battery, I measured 3.7 volts between the + and -.
If you succeed in doing this you will be a hero. Me personally have no idea of how to make this work.
post #1665 of 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post


If you succeed in doing this you will be a hero. Me personally have no idea of how to make this work.

 

Unless I got the + and  - wrong, but I determined the + and - using the multimeter showing +3.7 volts with the red touching the + and the black touching the -.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread