Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 102

post #1516 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Here is the info:
Model number: FZM28GW18P

Photo to show you how it looks and dimension wise, same size with a little wee bit smaller than a 30gb drive, about the same thickness. If you wanted to switch the backplate with a 30gb one to make it even thinner you can, on eBay numerous vendors of 30gb back plate but you also have to buy the jack, the 80gb jack ain't fitting in a 30 gb back plate. wink.gif

I am showing you the SSD in comparison to the standard 30gb iPod drive.

Happy modding! biggrin.gif


 

Thank you so much for all your input on the subject. I'll be ordering one soon as I can. This will be my first venture into modifying (most I've ever done is change a 5.5 battery !) so fingers crossed...I'll let you know the outcome - Thanks again.


Edited by Jilted1951 - 8/8/13 at 5:32am
post #1517 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOne17 View Post

OK, then I will rather buy fully working one. I don't really care about which generation iPod is, since they all look almost the same to me, so I will try to get 5th generation. I am planing on spending as little as possible, but it all looks like, that I will have to spend at least 200€+ etysmile.gif

You needn't spend HALF that on e-Bay.  I've gone mad the last 6 months & bough 2x iPod Videos 5.5Gen 80gb (£60 & £75)    1x iPod Classic 6thGen 80gb (£82) and   1x iPod Classic 7thGen 120gb (£99) All have been in remarkable condition (probably been lucky in that department)  Only once bought a faulty one thinking I could mend it & ended up writing it off (£25).  So take the advice that it's probably best buying one that works & getting the guarantee or it ends up being purely 'pot luck'

post #1518 of 3349

I think we have a bit of missunderstanding here. I don't intend spending 200€ on an iPod itself. 200€ for iPod + 64/120GB SSD, is what I had in mind bigsmile_face.gif

post #1519 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOne17 View Post

I think we have a bit of missunderstanding here. I don't intend spending 200€ on an iPod itself. 200€ for iPod + 64/120GB SSD, is what I had in mind bigsmile_face.gif

Sorry...my mistake

post #1520 of 3349

Hi all!

 

I have one 6th gen classic (Order No: MB029LL/A* Model No: A1238 (EMC 2173)), and when i opened it, I was very surprised, because I found this HDD:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83971178/IMG_20130808_163657.jpg

 

My question, can I replace it with SSD or mSATA? Any experience? Works fine? (This Samsung have bad sectors, it need to be changed soon.)

 

Thanks for your help!

post #1521 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOne17 View Post

I think we have a bit of missunderstanding here. I don't intend spending 200€ on an iPod itself. 200€ for iPod + 64/120GB SSD, is what I had in mind bigsmile_face.gif

That's what I thought you meant, the 128gb contraption will eat up a major chunk of it say around 130$ US on average and the iPod depending if you want to keep it as is, that would fetch an additional 60$ for a 30gb 5g, bringing the total to around 190$ US or about 125 pounds so it's well below the 200 pounds, shipping etcetera will eat a few more pounds but not to the point of costing more than 200 pounds.

What do you want to do on that iPod if you don't mind me asking as far as refurbishing work is concerned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by niof View Post

Hi all!

I have one 6th gen classic (Order No: MB029LL/A* Model No: A1238 (EMC 2173)), and when i opened it, I was very surprised, because I found this HDD:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83971178/IMG_20130808_163657.jpg

My question, can I replace it with SSD or mSATA? Any experience? Works fine? (This Samsung have bad sectors, it need to be changed soon.)


Thanks for your help!


I did my iPod 6th gen has now the front acrylic cover of a 5 gen with the 5 gen frame I had in surplus and a sdxc card in it.

You have the choice, you can either go with a cf card, an sdxc card or SSD drive but avoid the mSata drive too many people seem to have power issues with it.

Chuck this old crummy drive and go for flash memory, it's more fun that way.

Go back a few pages, I gave link references for instructions on how to and compatible parts.
Edited by musicheaven - 8/8/13 at 4:27pm
post #1522 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
What do you want to do on that iPod if you don't mind me asking as far as refurbishing work is concerned?

I only plan to replace HDD with new 128GB SSD, and if supported install rockbox (in case I don't like Apple interface, since I have newer owned any Apple device). So, 30GB 5th gen. iPod is worth around 60US dollars (just asking, so I don't overpay it ;) )? All 5th gen 30GB are SLIM models right?

 

Thanks for your help

post #1523 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOne17 View Post

I only plan to replace HDD with new 128GB SSD, and if supported install rockbox (in case I don't like Apple interface, since I have newer owned any Apple device). So, 30GB 5th gen. iPod is worth around 60US dollars (just asking, so I don't overpay it wink.gif )? All 5th gen 30GB are SLIM models right?

Thanks for your help

It's an average price and you can find used ones for that price as long as you don't mind all scratched ones and yes the 30 gb iPod is the slim one.
post #1524 of 3349

iPod 30gb white (slim) is perhaps the sexiest dap ever made. Everyone should have one in collection. You can make your own U2 special edition too.

 

All my other ipod 5.5g's have grown to be the fat model in order to accommodate the internal caps of my choice.

post #1525 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

iPod 30gb white (slim) is perhaps the sexiest dap ever made. Everyone should have one in collection. You can make your own U2 special edition too.

All my other ipod 5.5g's have grown to be the fat model in order to accommodate the internal caps of my choice.

Are you sure you talk about iPods? biggrin.gif

I think Apple put something in those iPods that keeps us buying them. wink.gif
post #1526 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Are you sure you talk about iPods? biggrin.gif

I think Apple put something in those iPods that keeps us buying them. wink.gif


Haha, I am positive and yeah thanks apple for breeding these babes. wink_face.gif

 

Seriously, I am collecting these pods and turn them into my music library. So far my pods have exceeded 1,000 GB's and still growing. normal_smile%20.gif

post #1527 of 3349
My god soon you'll need a room just to store those iPods lmao smily_headphones1.gif

What happened to file servers with terabytes of storage? wink.gif

Ah ok won't give you the sex appeal factor wink.gif

Joke aside, it's the first time I hear someone using daps to save music libraries, I guess there are all kinds of advantages doing that.
Edited by musicheaven - 8/8/13 at 2:27pm
post #1528 of 3349

popcorn.gifbeerchug.gifpopcorn.gif

post #1529 of 3349
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Joke aside, it's the first time I hear someone using daps to save music libraries, I guess there are all kinds of advantages doing that.

 

iPod video's are perfect and the only candidate for that purpose due to affordability, good looking, best UI, rockboxability, ability to diymod in and out, and wolfgrandson.

post #1530 of 3349

Man I hate these ipod video's and they slowly drain my wallet.

 

$54.04 for a 128GB SDXC (Amazon Warehouse Deal):

 

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS128GSDXC10E/dp/B00966J1WC/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread