Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 101

post #1501 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilted1951 View Post

Well I'm gonna go with the Talent - I think I've seen one on Amazon-UK for £155 ($175)...sorry to be a pain but can you quote me the exact SSD from Talent (size, series, Part Number etc.) that you used in your 5.5.  I'm just not that experienced in modifying stuff (yet!) & would hate to spend that kind of cash on the wrong drive.

Here is the info:
Model number: FZM28GW18P

Photo to show you how it looks and dimension wise, same size with a little wee bit smaller than a 30gb drive, about the same thickness. If you wanted to switch the backplate with a 30gb one to make it even thinner you can, on eBay numerous vendors of 30gb back plate but you also have to buy the jack, the 80gb jack ain't fitting in a 30 gb back plate. wink.gif

I am showing you the SSD in comparison to the standard 30gb iPod drive.

Happy modding! biggrin.gif



post #1502 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


the 80gb jack ain't fitting in a 30 gb back plate. wink.gif

 

 

That said, the 30gb jack can be used for the 80GB back plate. I tried one and it worked. I even put a 30GB battery for the 80gb back plate.

post #1503 of 4558
post #1504 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

How about $69.99 for a 128GB SDXC?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7562455&csid=_61


Wow what a luck I used those guys multiple times this one is just great, I never had any issues with it, I am surprised they are on sale the best price I got was 79$ and then went back up to 100$.

You should run not walk to get it and pack up, thanks for the tip I am going to buy a few! wink.gif
Edited by musicheaven - 8/7/13 at 6:56pm
post #1505 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

That said, the 30gb jack can be used for the 80GB back plate. I tried one and it worked. I even put a 30GB battery for the 80gb back plate.

It can but esthetically, it does not look as good if you look closely the white part has a different angle compared to the correct one. I am a stickler for a nice finish so I use the correct one besides it's only few bucks. What I have done though to enhance it's look I buy the black jack and switch, it looks so cool. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1506 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


It can but esthetically, it does not look as good if you look closely the white part has a different angle compared to the correct one. I am a stickler for a nice finish so I use the correct one besides it's only few bucks. What I have done though to enhance it's look I buy the black jack and switch, it looks so cool. smily_headphones1.gif


I actually want a green switch and blue click wheel. normal_smile%20.gif

post #1507 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post


I actually want a green switch and blue click wheel. normal_smile%20.gif

It's to go with the green theme? biggrin.gif

Well I got a solution for you, Rust-Oleum for plastic wink.gif
Edited by musicheaven - 8/7/13 at 6:56pm
post #1508 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post

Wow what a luck I used those guys multiple times this one is just great, I never had any issues with it, I am surprised they are on sale the best price I got was 79$ and then went back up to 100$.

You should run not walk to get it and pack up, thanks for the tip I am going to buy a few! wink.gif

 

Not for me tho. Cost for shipping to this island is about $11. Also it may not be cash rebate.

post #1509 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


It's to go with the green theme? biggrin.gif

Well I go a solution for you, Rust-Oleum for plastic wink.gif


I was looking for transparent paint the other day thinking about painting this sucker. LOL.

post #1510 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post


I was looking for transparent paint the other day thinking about painting this sucker. LOL.

Zagg the maker of invisishield still makes the iPod 5 gen full body protection for both the 30 and 80gb iPods. I have wrapped up mine in it and it looks fabulous. It also has a replacement lifetime warranty, you pay shipping, return the old one and they ship a brand new one to you. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1511 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post


Zagg the maker of invisishield still makes the iPod 5 gen full body protection for both the 30 and 80gb iPods. I have wrapped up mine in it and it looks fabulous. It also has a replacement lifetime warranty, you pay shipping, return the old one and they ship a brand new one to you. smily_headphones1.gif


I have a pair of amp wallets so both the pod and amp are always covered and protected. The amp wallet doesn't look fancy but is practical.

post #1512 of 4558

Hi, I didn't read the whole thread so this might already be answered. I am planing to buy used iPod classic 5th or 6th generation with small hard drive, or even faulty hard drive, since fully working and 160GB ones are still a bit pricey. I am searching over ebay, and there are quite a few iPods which only power on screen with red "X"(like this -> http://goo.gl/i9XDrS). Is this only faulty hard drive, or is this any other problem? So if I buy such iPod, and replace hard drive with SSD, I only restore it in iTunes, and then it should work right?

 

Thanks for answers, and sorry for my bad english ;)

post #1513 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOne17 View Post

Hi, I didn't read the whole thread so this might already be answered. I am planing to buy used iPod classic 5th or 6th generation with small hard drive, or even faulty hard drive, since fully working and 160GB ones are still a bit pricey. I am searching over ebay, and there are quite a few iPods which only power on screen with red "X"(like this -> http://goo.gl/i9XDrS). Is this only faulty hard drive, or is this any other problem? So if I buy such iPod, and replace hard drive with SSD, I only restore it in iTunes, and then it should work right?

Thanks for answers, and sorry for my bad english wink.gif

I have modded iPods long enough to know that it might indicate a real problem. There are so many things to consider when the iPod shows that sign, you'd be best to go for one that the buyer says it works, if there is any issues when you get it you can file a case and get your money back. With the one you describe it's take it as is and if it's faulty you loose the whole amount.

How much are you willing to pay for the mod and if you have a choice the 5th gen is easier to mod, the 6th gen has a tight enclosure, so tight you'll most likely going to destroy the case.
Your English is perfectly fine don't worry.
Edited by musicheaven - 8/8/13 at 4:09am
post #1514 of 4558

OK, then I will rather buy fully working one. I don't really care about which generation iPod is, since they all look almost the same to me, so I will try to get 5th generation. I am planing on spending as little as possible, but it all looks like, that I will have to spend at least 200€+ etysmile.gif

post #1515 of 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOne17 View Post

OK, then I will rather buy fully working one. I don't really care about which generation iPod is, since they all look almost the same to me, so I will try to get 5th generation. I am planing on spending as little as possible, but it all looks like, that I will have to spend at least 200€+ etysmile.gif

Depending on the size if you carefully sprawl the Internet and buy wisely, you could get it done below that amount.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread