Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 79

post #1171 of 3294

I think none of the mSATA solutions work with Rockbox right now, only original Apple firmware.  Not sure how long it's gonna be until the Rockbox devs figure it out so I just ordered a Toshiba 160GB to upgrade my 5G 30GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

Tried the mSATA adapter and none of the iPods like it, on the iPod 6th generation all I got was a red X and on the 5.5th it showed a sad face and then turned off.

 

Tried it using both a 24gb mSATA card and a 256gb mSATA with the same results.

 

I have available the adapter and 24gb card I can mail it to anyone that would like wants to try them on his iPod.

 

Edit -  Tried the 24gb mSATA card with the 5.5th gen iPod and this adapter  the iPod accepted it, connected it to iTunes and restored then after done and working fine I went ahead and did the RockBox installation, the iPod rebooted and got this same error on the screen like other guys are getting with the 256gb card.  So this means that the card size have nothing to do with the error, maybe the mSATA to zif adapter is the problem here?

post #1172 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor777 View Post

I think none of the mSATA solutions work with Rockbox right now, only original Apple firmware.  Not sure how long it's gonna be until the Rockbox devs figure it out so I just ordered a Toshiba 160GB to upgrade my 5G 30GB.


If I were you, I would get a 128GB CF unless that 32GB difference really matters. With the CF, you will have greatly improved battery life, lighter ipod, more responsive and durable drive. If you are thinking about diymod in the future, the CF will be able to accommodate a pair of Silmic II caps inside the ipod.

 

Yeah as for the RB on the mSATA, I don't hold out much hope now.

post #1173 of 3294

With the CF + adapter it would come out close to $150.  I spent $74 for a 160GB.  Battery life and durability is not too big of an issue as I'm pretty careful with my electronics and I can change it at work daily.  I did consider CF, but the price on the HD ultimately won me over :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post


If I were you, I would get a 128GB CF unless that 32GB difference really matters. With the CF, you will have greatly improved battery life, lighter ipod, more responsive and durable drive. If you are thinking about diymod in the future, the CF will be able to accommodate a pair of Silmic II caps inside the ipod.

 

Yeah as for the RB on the mSATA, I don't hold out much hope now.

post #1174 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor777 View Post

With the CF + adapter it would come out close to $150.  I spent $74 for a 160GB.  Battery life and durability is not too big of an issue as I'm pretty careful with my electronics and I can change it at work daily.  I did consider CF, but the price on the HD ultimately won me over :)

 

Yeah if you don't use an amp then you can always charge the ipod....

post #1175 of 3294
post #1176 of 3294

does anyone have a recommendation for two SSD or CF 1.8 inch that are aroudn or under $40 that have been tested? please post link to it. i refunded the ones i bought last time because they did not work.

post #1177 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCultofYogurt View Post

does anyone have a recommendation for two SSD or CF 1.8 inch that are aroudn or under $40 that have been tested? please post link to it. i refunded the ones i bought last time because they did not work.

How big is the drive you need?

post #1178 of 3294

Man I am having trouble with this 128GB CF card for my ipod 5.5g/30GB model. I have tried it on two of my 5.5g/30GB ipods with both the Tarkan adapter and this adapter without success. The iTunes will detect them and restore it, then right after the restore the ipod keeps rebooting and it won't be detected by iTunes. I first thought there was a problem with the CF card, and the replacement came in and still has the same problem. I am sure the CF card has been properly formatted to FAT32 using the HP USB utility.

 

However, I also tried the two adapters with other CF cards of 4GB, 8GB and 32GB and they all work. So I am wondering if the 128GB's are too much for the 5.5g/30GB models to handle. Interestingly I have the same 128GB CF with Tarkan and they work on another 5g/60GB model.

 

Should I try another type of 128GB CF card for the 5.5g/30GB model?

 

EDIT: Just tried that 128GB CF on a 5.5g/80GB. Still the same problem. The iTunes restores it and nothing happens after that. The ipod just keeps rebooting.


Edited by DMinor - 5/4/13 at 9:05pm
post #1179 of 3294

Sorry, I'm new to all of these things and to dig through every page to find out what I'm looking for would be overwhelming.

 

Basically, I intend to purchase the latest-generation iPod Classic since it appears to be the best source according to this site

 

What steps do I take to optimize it upon purchase aside from buying an amp/dac? Around how much is it going to run me in order to ensure I optimize the iPod?

post #1180 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ternalDr4gon View Post

Sorry, I'm new to all of these things and to dig through every page to find out what I'm looking for would be overwhelming.

 

Basically, I intend to purchase the latest-generation iPod Classic since it appears to be the best source according to this site

 

What steps do I take to optimize it upon purchase aside from buying an amp/dac? Around how much is it going to run me in order to ensure I optimize the iPod?

If by optimize you mean upgrade the only upgrade for the 7th gen iPod Classic is the 240gb hard drive, the kit can be ordered on eBay here's a link for one of the listings.

post #1181 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

How big is the drive you need?

as big as possible, but over 30 gb

post #1182 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCultofYogurt View Post

as big as possible, but over 30 gb

This this would fit the bill. Just need to add the $15 for the mSATA to zif adapter that you can find here.

post #1183 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

If by optimize you mean upgrade the only upgrade for the 7th gen iPod Classic is the 240gb hard drive, the kit can be ordered on eBay here's a link for one of the listings.

From what I'm seeing...this only increases the speed performance. Is this really necessary? I was under the assumption that this thread primarily revolved around improvement in sound quality

post #1184 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ternalDr4gon View Post

From what I'm seeing...this only increases the speed performance. Is this really necessary? I was under the assumption that this thread primarily revolved around improvement in sound quality


Try this one then.

post #1185 of 3294
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ternalDr4gon View Post

From what I'm seeing...this only increases the speed performance. Is this really necessary? I was under the assumption that this thread primarily revolved around improvement in sound quality

No, it just increases the storage capacity.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread