Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread - Page 75

post #1111 of 3347

I think this one from eBay is the same as the one I bought.

post #1112 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

I think this one from eBay is the same as the one I bought.

Thank you, I found this looks like it's the same and it's cheaper.

 

Edit - Have you had the chance to try it on an iPod 7th generation?


Edited by cmarti - 4/18/13 at 9:33pm
post #1113 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

Thank you, I found this looks like it's the same and it's cheaper.

 

Edit - Have you had the chance to try it on an iPod 7th generation?


Yes it's the same. Just want to mention there are two Types for this card and I ordered Type 2. With Type 2 the mSATA will be installed facing down and I believe that's the way it is supposed to be for ipod. I was asked by the seller which Type I wanted, and the seller recommended Type 2 when I told the seller my intended use.

 

Edit: No I didn't try on anything. I just ordered the adapter and never ordered a mSATA.


Edited by DMinor - 4/18/13 at 9:47pm
post #1114 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post


Yes it's the same. Just want to mention there are two Types for this card and I ordered Type 2. With Type 2 the mSATA will be installed facing down and I believe that's the way it is supposed to be for ipod. I was asked by the seller which Type I wanted, and the seller recommended Type 2 when I told the seller my intended use.

Thank you for the great information, I will order it now.

 

BTW - for those looking for a good deal on the mSATA drive check this:

 

 

Newegg has 15% off Plextor
USE CODE EMCYTZT3329

Plextor M5M PX-256M5M mSATA 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $170 [newegg.com]
post #1115 of 3347

Hi there just found this forum and now I want to rebuild my ipod. I found this on a craigslist in my area for $190  a CT256M4SSD2 yours is a d3, are they the same just the d2 shell?

http://www.macpartstore.co.uk/images/3CT128M4SSD2-1.jpg

edit:never mind i found an image of one dismantled and very different


Edited by livefree1981 - 4/18/13 at 10:32pm
post #1116 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefree1981 View Post

Hi there just found this forum and now I want to rebuild my ipod. I found this on a craigslist in my area for $190  a CT256M4SSD2 yours is a d3, are they the same just the d2 shell?

http://www.macpartstore.co.uk/images/3CT128M4SSD2-1.jpg

edit:never mind i found an image of one dismantled and very different

That looks like a SATA 2.5mm drive suited for devices like laptops or PS3's.  

 

You need an mSATA drive which looks like this:

 

 

Edit, this is how the one you posted looks if you open the casing:

 


Edited by cmarti - 4/19/13 at 4:25am
post #1117 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyllis View Post

 

I believe that you will need the 40-pin to ZIF adapter in addition to the SSD (there's a few links on the last few pages of this thread) (if this is incorrect, someone please correct me), and you also would need to extract the bare drive from the retail case on the outside for it to fit inside your iPod.

 

Also, from reading on the website the drive operates on either 3.3V or 5.0V, so I would imagine that you'll be O.K. on that front, only way to know for sure is to try it out and see if it works.

 

Edit: What size is your iPod? If it's the fat one, you don't need to remove the external casing, but if it is thinner, you do need to take it off otherwise I don't think it will fit inside.

 

Hi Achyllis and thanks for your reply !

In fact, i've seen this video, right under the SSD's specs : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IxDewsW56Xg

Showing apparently no need for an adapter or anything, just "plug-and-play" style SSD.

I was simply wondering if anyone used this SSD, because it is expensive but look easy to install and durable.

post #1118 of 3347
post #1119 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeteeyou View Post

Yay, 512GB mSATA for 420 bucks

 

http://uhaxh.wugtt.servertrust.com/product-p/asi893.htm

 

Review of Samsung MZMTD512HAGL

 

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-pm841-512gb-msata-ssd-review-performance-and-capacity-in-a-client-ssd/

 

Voltage: 3.3V / 1.9A

Reading through that review the article says it uses 3.44V active. Is that a cause for concern?

post #1120 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyllis View Post

Reading through that review the article says it uses 3.44V active. Is that a cause for concern?

I have the same issue as you Achyllis, but my drive is the 60GB MX drive instead.

post #1121 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT42 View Post

I have the same issue as you Achyllis, but my drive is the 60GB MX drive instead.

What issue are you having?

post #1122 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

What issue are you having?

I posted a couple of pages back, SSD is not picked up at all by my Mac (Disk Utility iTunes etc) or PC, Device Manager, Disk Management etc.

 

When i connect it up to the iPod (5th Gen) it goes through a loop of telling me to connect to iTunes to restore, then saying 'do not disconnect', then 'ok to disconnect' when plugged into a machine via USB. A reset or booting into diagnostics mode does nothing. Screen turns green after diagnostics test which I assume means all is ok with the logic board.

 

Totally stuck now.

 

I did notice earlier on the SSD manufacturers site that there's 2 versions of my drive.

 

http://www.mx-technology.com/en/product/ssd.php

 

 

This is the one I ordered:- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-009-MX

 

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

post #1123 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT42 View Post

I posted a couple of pages back, SSD is not picked up at all by my Mac (Disk Utility iTunes etc) or PC, Device Manager, Disk Management etc.

 

When i connect it up to the iPod (5th Gen) it goes through a loop of telling me to connect to iTunes to restore, then saying 'do not disconnect', then 'ok to disconnect' when plugged into a machine via USB. A reset or booting into diagnostics mode does nothing. Screen turns green after diagnostics test which I assume means all is ok with the logic board.

 

Totally stuck now.

 

I did notice earlier on the SSD manufacturers site that there's 2 versions of my drive.

 

http://www.mx-technology.com/en/product/ssd.php

 

 

This is the one I ordered:- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-009-MX

 

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

I would try it in another iPod just to make sure it's not your logic board that is picky; also there is a difference between what you used and the one seeteeyou posted is that he posted an mSATA card not a pata drive like yours.

 

I am very tempted to order the 512GB card, but for now the 256GB seems to be enough for me, I loaded 13,122 songs all of them either ALAC and MP3's @ 320kbps and still I have 50GB left.

 

Not bad at all. beerchug.gif


Edited by cmarti - 4/22/13 at 5:03pm
post #1124 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarti View Post

I would try it in another iPod just to make sure it's not your logic board that is picky; also there is a difference between what you used and the one seeteeyou posted is that he posted an mSATA card not a pata drive like yours.

 

I am very tempted to order the 512GB card, but for now the 256GB seems to be enough for me, I loaded 13,122 songs all of them either ALAC and MP3's @ 320kbps and still I have 50GB left.

 

Not bad at all. beerchug.gif


I suggest you skip the 512GB and wait for the 1024GB drive. It's coming! wink_face.gif

post #1125 of 3347

Crucial M500 960GB is 2.5" SATA only

 

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/crucial-m500-ssd-review-960gb/

 

The mSATA version would not go higher than 480GB and it could be quite challenging to fit eight 128GB NAND chips on such a tiny drive.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread