Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android: Neutron Music Player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android: Neutron Music Player - Page 14

post #196 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

To be fair it's not even obvious that the parametric EQ exists at all. To find it go to Settings > Equalizer and be prepared for confusion. Sorry, that was my first reaction to it though. It's a damn powerful tool though, in the right hands. It gives you the option of creating and deleting presets so if you screw it up it's no big deal, just try again.

I've found learning how to use it to be much easier with electronic music than with acoustic music. Perhaps because with electronic music I'm not trying to "recreate" the recording space, if you know what I mean. You can generally completely isolate say, the bass synth note, from the bass drum sound for instance. And emphasize whichever you prefer. It's much more profound than just a 5-band (or 10 or even 20-band) EQ is capable of doing. But it is confusing. I'm sure it could be made more intuitive but I'm not the guy for that I'm afraid.

I hope I haven't put you off even more ūüėäIt's worth the effort.

Remember I told you that the UI is a mess and doesn't at all help learning how to use a parametric EQ. You can also De Ess to remove sibalance when using a mediocre set of IEMs with a nasty resonant peak.

post #197 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

Remember I told you that the UI is a mess and doesn't at all help learning how to use a parametric EQ. You can also De Ess to remove sibalance when using a mediocre set of IEMs with a nasty resonant peak.

Trust me Stan, if you hadn't encouraged me I would have given up ūüėČ

Something nice just happened. The Fiio E18 supplier I wanted to use has just gotten in some new stock. What do you think? Go for it?
post #198 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


Trust me Stan, if you hadn't encouraged me I would have given up ūüėČ

Something nice just happened. The Fiio E18 supplier I wanted to use has just gotten in some new stock. What do you think? Go for it?

I have an E18 and it works really well, far better than the price would suggest, It definitely improves upon the audio coming out of my GS3 and works standard USB Audio with the GS3. It also works with my laptop's USB. If given a choice, I would buy it again, since I already have one, that wouldn't be necessary. :D


Edited by StanD - 3/2/14 at 5:28pm
post #199 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

I have an E18 and it works really well, far better than the price would suggest, It definitely improves upon the audio coming out of my GS3 and works standard USB Audio with the GS3. It also works with my laptop's USB. If given a choice, I would buy it again, since I already have one, that wouldn't be necessary. biggrin.gif

One more question - I don't need to install that USBAPP app because I'm on JellyBean4.3 right? I can just use whatever audio app I want (ie Neutron)?
post #200 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


One more question - I don't need to install that USBAPP app because I'm on JellyBean4.3 right? I can just use whatever audio app I want (ie Neutron)?

That depends on your phone, I'm running Jellybean 4.3 on my US Samsung Galaxy S3 and I do not need USBAPP. I can run any app and listen to music with the E18 as a DAC via the USB port. You'll be glad to know that Neutron works like a charm as well as music streaming apps like Spotify and Google Music Player. I had the same results with the previous version of Android that ran on the phone for the longest of times, 4.1.2. No muss no fuss.

I forget, did you check your phone for compatability in the big Head-Fi thread, link below. Check towards the end of the thread for links to download files listing DACs and phones. You may have to poke around as well

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

post #201 of 274
I've just checked that thread (thanks for the link btw) and as far as I can tell it should be OK. Too late now anyway. I ordered the E18 10 minutes ago. Can't wait. I'm hoping for a bigger Soundstage with the V-Moda M -100's.
post #202 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

I've just checked that thread (thanks for the link btw) and as far as I can tell it should be OK. Too late now anyway. I ordered the E18 10 minutes ago. Can't wait. I'm hoping for a bigger Soundstage with the V-Moda M -100's.

I use it with XBA-3's, HD-558 and HD600's. All very good. It can marginally drive my HE-500's as they are a bit hungrier for power. I can take the line out and chain it to an E12 for hungrier beasts or just for fun. People see the two black boxes wired up to my cellphone and they think I'm going to blow something up.

post #203 of 274
Latest issue is that cover art is not appearing on the main player now playing screen. It appears next to the folders in folder view AND the neutron mini widget. Tried various setting changes. Used fo be fine, dont remember if they stopped showing after the paid version instLl install or after. Very frustrating.

NEVERMIND. THEY COME UP AFTER A REBOOT. STRANGE.
Edited by tmann - 3/5/14 at 10:35pm
post #204 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmann View Post

Latest issue is that cover art is not appearing on the main player now playing screen. It appears next to the folders in folder view AND the neutron mini widget. Tried various setting changes. Used fo be fine, dont remember if they stopped showing after the paid version instLl install or after. Very frustrating.

NEVERMIND. THEY COME UP AFTER A REBOOT. STRANGE.

I think Neutron needs you to put the album art in the folder with the music files.

That's one feature I really like about Poweramp. It'll find it for you.
post #205 of 274
It does. The good thing about Poweramp is that it'll go online and find a better quality image than I invariably have. It's nice to have that option.
post #206 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Pocalypse View Post


I think Neutron needs you to put the album art in the folder with the music files.

That's one feature I really like about Poweramp. It'll find it for you.


I use the Cover Art Downloader app, which puts the cover art in the album folder and also has an option to embed it into the id3 tag for MP3s.

 

My issue was that the cover art images were appearing next to the folder names in Neutron and on the Neutron widget on the home screen, but not in the full player Now Playing screen. Still not sure why/how that happened, but after I rebooted the phone they appear in the NP screen now too.

post #207 of 274
I hate the standard Neutron widgets. Does anyone know if there are any alternatives out there? I've looked but with no success.
post #208 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

I hate the standard Neutron widgets. Does anyone know if there are any alternatives out there? I've looked but with no success.

 

It doesn't have the album art feature but I've found a bit of success with Phantom Music Controls.

post #209 of 274
Thanks. I've downloaded and installed it but what's supposed to happen? I don't see anything at all.
post #210 of 274
I have a question and hopefully one of you nice people has the answer.

My rig...

FLAC > Neutron > Galaxy Note 3 > Fiio E18 via OTG USB > V-Moda M-100.

In Neutron, what should my gain be set to? Should it be 100% in Neutron and then use the volume knob on the Fiio E18? Or should it be lower?

Thank you.
Edited by Zorrofox - 3/8/14 at 7:14pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Android: Neutron Music Player