- 2,407 Posts. Joined 11/2010
- Location: New York
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/11/11
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms)tagged by System, 8/11/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/11/11
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 8/11/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/11/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/11/11
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 8/11/11
- productSennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 8/11/11More
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 2/20/2014: BoomPro + list, chicolom's... Last post on Today at 12:08 pm in Video Games Discussion
- Best match for Maverick Audio A1? Last post on 7/21/11 at 3:56am in Headphones (full-size)
- Got a hold on HD650's recently... smell weird. Last post on 10/24/11 at 3:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- What closed cans do you recommend from Sennheiser? Last post on 1/26/11 at 1:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Review of Sennheiser HD380 - Page 4post #46 of 5610/29/12 at 10:34amThanks for that little comparo sigmunklaus - I haven't been able to try the HD380 but I have been enjoying my KNS 8400. I lost interest in the 380 but I hope to one day try it for the hell of it. Wonder how the SRH 840 would compare to the 380s. I'm expecting a pair soon so I'll be able to A/B them with the KRKs. Should be interesting. My only gripe with the 8400s (besides the wide headband) is the bit of emphasis on mids and highs. If they were tamed slightly I think vocals and cymbals would sound a little more natural. For the price, they're pretty spectacular though. Detail retrieval, balance, and drum reproduction are great IMO.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 564/27/13 at 9:25pmI'm surprised there are not more reviews and people praising this headphone here on head-fi. Judging by the reviews on amazon these phones punch well above their weight. Does anyone have an opinion of these? Objectively for or against?post #48 of 567/11/13 at 1:25am
I auditioned these at the Guitar Center and hated them.
My auditioning setup:
1. Samsung GS3
2. 320kbps MP3's
The song that sounded really terrible was Heart's "Alone."* The keyboard and vocals were both way too forward, piercing, metallic, shrill and overall just harsh. I tried some other songs which sounded similarly bad.
Are you guys using a better source or lossless files? Have you noticed a difference between sources? What about between files?
I just can't reconcile my experience with so many of the good reviews I've read about these.
* Yes, I'm rightfully embarrassed about liking this song.
Edited by suburbanite - 7/11/13 at 4:04pmpost #49 of 567/21/13 at 8:52amThe m50 has a better richer sound in my opinion. The 380 have a very well, boring and empty sound. Yes, its detailed, but its not very vibrant and exhilarating like the m50 or the A900X. In the price range the 900 is the better phone.post #50 of 567/31/13 at 3:29am
I own these, have been testing them for a few hours, being a studio headphone I think they don't clamp too much, not a major issue using them with glasses compared to the HD25 which are a pain after a while. They tend to reproduce exactly what is being played and this is probably the reason for the bad reviews, Senns objective was faithful reproduction and compared to home listening oriented headphones they sound flat (I have a pair of Grados I can compare with).
They provide very good attenuation, fold flat and can be carried in the bag provided. I wish Sennheiser produced a non coil cable, the one provided is very good, but I would have liked the option of a simple cable as an alternative.post #51 of 568/6/13 at 3:54pm
I just got some refurbished from VM innovations, plugging directly into a 2012 iMac headphone port, playing music from iTunes Match. I can't believe people would say this is competitive with $200 open headphones. I can immediately tell these are worse than my HD598's. The isolation is not as good as I expected since I can hear light tapping noises coming from ~5 meters away (I bought these for use in an open office setting, so the HD598 would be a no-go with the leakage). I will say that they're quite comfortable, esp over my glasses. I don't feel like I immediately want to take them off. Hopefully the sound quality gets better. Otherwise, I may end up using my HF3 more if I'm at my desk and don't want to be disturbed.post #52 of 5612/31/13 at 12:02pm
Just saw these at Best Buy on sale for $139.99. I've been looking for a closed phone that might compare with my Grado Sr 125's and wonder how these will compare. I might add that I listen to mostly classical and jazz music.
Edited by culp4684 - 12/31/13 at 12:05pmpost #53 of 561/4/14 at 10:32am
I just bought them. The sound quality is great but the noise cancelation is not.. I can hear people talking and the sound of the bus and the metro..not at all what i expected..How is it top rated in noise cancelling here? Am i doing something wrong maybe?please helppost #54 of 561/11/14 at 5:18pmQuote:Yea I've noticed that too, sound cancelation is definitely not up to par, I've frequently been forced to turn the sound up to drown out voices/the sound of the train. If noise cancelation is really important to you I'd recommend buying a phone specified as "noise canceling" and make sure to experiment with it in the store, maybe save the hd380s for home/studio use.post #55 of 561/11/14 at 5:27pmpost #56 of 562/12/14 at 5:12pm
I'd like to add something here about the HD 380s: They are my favorite headphone for my Yamaha CP 300 keyboard... It's a studio-grade instrument, and I've tried headphones up to about $700 MSRP, and the HD 380s make the voices sound like they should, as you were expecting them to sound out of a pair of good monitors...
I have the 280s, and they sound thin compared to the 380s... I tried the HD 600s with the CP 300 and a headphone amp, and they just didn't cut it... The sound balance just was not there... So, I guess when you review a headphone, it really [really] depends on what equipment you're using...
I liked the HD 380s so much, I now have a few pairs on hand...
Most 'professional' headphones have a hard time handling some synth voices... Some of them are almost a square wave... But the HD 380s handle anything you throw at them... And you get a full sound... No holes...
- Review of Sennheiser HD380
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 38 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 50 seconds ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 1 minute ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 2 minutes ago
- › UE6000 - Excellent condition (Willing to trade for ATH-M50) 2 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 3 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South... 3 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude