Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review of Sennheiser HD380
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Sennheiser HD380 - Page 3

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirephone View Post

I am really interested to know how HD380 up against Shure 940.



I tested them against some Shures in the same price range... can't remember if it was the 940 but the current Amazon price of $260 marked down from $375 tells me it was probably not that model. Anyway I preferred it to whichever Shure it was on par with the 380 for price. I also tested it against the Beyer Dt770. I think the 770 is about on par with the 380 in terms of overall quality, but it's not as portable. The 380 folds up nicely in a case that comes with them, which works for me as a student... I can put them in the back pocket of my backpack and break them out whenever I need.

post #32 of 56

I  highly doubt that just like someone has suggested that the srh940, is just a rebranded hd380 , this is just non sense.

Anyway , since the hd380 use same driver as hd595 (well, to be confirmed) , I  can at least say that the srh940 literally kills the hd595 in term of speed , and level of details.

 


Edited by extrabigmehdi - 3/19/12 at 7:33pm
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonobo Loco View Post


Worth what price? I got mine on sale for $165. To me, this is a great headphone at that price. I can't see anything synthetic about them... comments like this are perplexing, but to each his own I guess.

 

I'm not saying it's a perfect headphone but to me it sounds good... and it's not like I'm stopping with these. This is my entry-point to head-fi and it's done that job very well... gotten me curious bout the hd600/650, the denons, the beyers, etc. 


I think I got mine for $200. Like I said, my pair may have been defective because it just sounded plain wrong - HD280 pro sounded much better to me!

post #34 of 56

I briefly heard 940 and had hd280, the 940 is in another league to HD280 and is one of the best close phone I heard. If 380 is on par with 940, then I really would like to try the 380s.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonobo Loco View Post



I tested them against some Shures in the same price range... can't remember if it was the 940 but the current Amazon price of $260 marked down from $375 tells me it was probably not that model. Anyway I preferred it to whichever Shure it was on par with the 380 for price. I also tested it against the Beyer Dt770. I think the 770 is about on par with the 380 in terms of overall quality, but it's not as portable. The 380 folds up nicely in a case that comes with them, which works for me as a student... I can put them in the back pocket of my backpack and break them out whenever I need.



 

post #35 of 56


The SRH940 is in deed another league above the HD380/280. There's just really no comparison. The 380 should be $100 at most, not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirephone View Post

I briefly heard 940 and had hd280, the 940 is in another league to HD280 and is one of the best close phone I heard. If 380 is on par with 940, then I really would like to try the 380s.
 



 



 

post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Bao Quan View Post


The SRH940 is in deed another league above the HD380/280. There's just really no comparison. The 380 should be $100 at most, not more.



 



If it's in a different league (I haven't heard it so I'll take your word for it), it's also at a completely different price point. I got my 380 on sale for $165, MSRP $199. The Shure 940 is MSRP $375 currently on sale for $265. So we're talking a "street value" 60% higher for the Shures. If you're paying 60% more you should expect better performance. For comparison, that's like comparing a $500 headphone with an $800 one... we really are comparing apples & oranges. A better comparison would be between the Shure 840, not the 940.

post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonobo Loco View Post

 A better comparison would be between the Shure 840, not the 940.

The srh940 is a quite bright headphone, even if you disregard the price difference, I'm not sure the comparison would be pertinent.  

post #38 of 56

removed


Edited by Cristello - 12/5/12 at 6:09pm
post #39 of 56

Anyone compared these to the KRK KNS-8400s yet?

post #40 of 56

What's the size of the drivers on these? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

post #41 of 56

I would imagine they are at least 40-45 mm. Maybe someone can do a measurement.

 

If anyone has compared these to the KRK 8400, please feel free to share your impressions.

post #42 of 56

well, your post is couple of months old... I wonder whether have you managed to test both the HD380 and the KNS8400 since.

 

Because I did today. They've just arrived with the post. 

 

I had about half an hour to listen to them.

 

I really do hope that these phones will get better with some days of burn in - if not, I'll have to send them back. In the past 3-4 years I've been only using my 30 years old AKG K240DFs. I just thought it's time to get some new HPs, too. These two the HD380 and the KNS8400 are miles away from the DF. 

 

 

The HD380 out of the box sounds really cheap. From the upper mids up everything just sounds crippled. Everything is detailed up there though ...  just very very silent. Bass is boomy... like a subwoofer in an accousticaly non-treated room.

 

The KNS are a bit more promising. They are really really comfortable. Very crisp highs. Bass is OK ... clearm but really light (for me that's not a problem, I have to check the Bass on monitors anyway when mixing). 

 

At this stage I'd say the HD380 is a cheap Hi-Fi headphone (I'd say thy are in the same league as the HD555, though the HD555s are much more comfortable - sitting on the head and for the ears) . the KNS8400 is definitely made for the studio.

 

I am really really curious how they'll sound after couple of days of burn-in.

 

I was just thinking about value for money... if these cost around 100 Euros - the K240DF (imagining that they are still in production) should cost at least 400 EUR. :)

post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmundklaus View Post

well, your post is couple of months old... I wonder whether have you managed to test both the HD380 and the KNS8400 since.

 

Because I did today. They've just arrived with the post. 

 

I had about half an hour to listen to them.

 

I really do hope that these phones will get better with some days of burn in - if not, I'll have to send them back. In the past 3-4 years I've been only using my 30 years old AKG K240DFs. I just thought it's time to get some new HPs, too. These two the HD380 and the KNS8400 are miles away from the DF. 

 

 

The HD380 out of the box sounds really cheap. From the upper mids up everything just sounds crippled. Everything is detailed up there though ...  just very very silent. Bass is boomy... like a subwoofer in an accousticaly non-treated room.

 

The KNS are a bit more promising. They are really really comfortable. Very crisp highs. Bass is OK ... clearm but really light (for me that's not a problem, I have to check the Bass on monitors anyway when mixing). 

 

At this stage I'd say the HD380 is a cheap Hi-Fi headphone (I'd say thy are in the same league as the HD555, though the HD555s are much more comfortable - sitting on the head and for the ears) . the KNS8400 is definitely made for the studio.

 

I am really really curious how they'll sound after couple of days of burn-in.

 

I was just thinking about value for money... if these cost around 100 Euros - the K240DF (imagining that they are still in production) should cost at least 400 EUR. :)

 

I have the HD 380 for 2 years now and i find the highs and mids to be very clear, but in my opinion the bass is clear but pretty low. I especially like them for hearing symphonic music or acoustics (the violin and cello sound awesome), but in my opinion they are also good for vocals and even rock music. They are not very good for movies or games due to the low bass though.

I have over 200 hours of burn-in though and i really think that they sound better than when i first bought them. Only thing is that at high volumes you hear some reverberation which is annoying at times. But since i don't really listen at high volumes it isn't a problem for me. 

Also for the 120$ that i paid for them they are worth it :). And don't forget to use good music quality with them! even on my cheap xonar sound card there was a big difference between MP3(180 or lower) and FLAC versions of the same songs.

 

P.S.: I returned the HD558 because they sounded too bright for my ears even after 30+hours of burn-in. 

post #44 of 56

I do think mids and highs clear but I can barely hear the highs... and I'm not hat old that I start loosing my high frequencies   biggrin.gif

 

I actually have a decent amount of good quality music. For reference purposes I mostly use 88.2 khz or higher / 24 bit stuff... And I've got a Focusrite audio interface... HP Amp, too.

 

Maybe it's just that the K240DF have spoiled me... 

post #45 of 56

I'm not really experienced but the highs from violins for example are the most clear that I've heard. BUT i only have the 558 for comparison (the most expensive pair of headphones that I've tried) so maybe you have listened to headphones that have better highs... Or maybe they just need a good amount of burn-in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review of Sennheiser HD380