I heard excellent things on both and I'm gonna be using them for monitoring and occasional music listening House/Electro/RnB/DnB/Dubstep
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/12/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/12/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 8/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable Audio Technica ATH-M50 alternatives? Last post on 8/13/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO vs Beats By Dre Studio? Last post on 10/16/11 at 7:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for an upgrade from Shure SRH440 Last post on 8/19/11 at 9:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Wondering which headphones to buy Last post on 6/2/11 at 11:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Build Quality & Design The build quality on these isn't so good in the long run, the entire headphone is mostly constructed out of plastic the only metal part on these cans would be the earcups,...
First off my gear is HeadRoom Micro DAC and Amp.(I don't see how people get by without the crossfeed circuit on older rock recordings) Out of the rather cheap box the high-end was brittle and harsh...
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO?post #1 of 88/10/11 at 12:27pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/10/11 at 12:37pm
I haven't heard DT 770 pro but from what i've read they match up bout equal to the M50. As you know the M50 are semi-portable and can be collapsed etc.
I own M50 with the coiled cable and im very happy with them although it took me some time to get use to the pleader cushions but they are very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.post #3 of 88/10/11 at 12:38pm
Electronic music is best if through a Grado like sound can.
In all seriousness, I mean this by the greatest means. When you play bass heavy music through a bass heavy can, it turn out WAY too bassy. So a bass light can playing bass heavy music shines.
If you want beyer, get the 32ohm version unless you have a amp, then 250ohm or a really good amp then get the 600ohm.
Beyer would be good and the M50's would be lacking there. But I find Beyer boring because they aren't very forward so I have to toss out and tell you to get a Grado or HD598.
Just my $0.02post #4 of 88/10/11 at 2:09pm
They're both kind of a bit smiley curved for monitoring. However I'd go with the beyers over M50 for electronic any day. They're also more comfortable too, so better music listening experience. Very bright treble gives lots of sparkle, but recessed mids gives a more laid back soundstage.
I sorta disagree about bass heavy songs sounding too bassy on bass heavy cans. Synthesized music isn't acoustic, so there really isn't any objective means of measuring fidelity or quality-- it's mostly purely subjective based on each individuals preferences in sound.post #5 of 88/10/11 at 2:51pmpost #6 of 88/10/11 at 3:01pm
If the source you are using is a headphones amp. (AC powered) or stereo receiver, get the DT-770 80-Ohm (take advantage of that 80-Ohms)
If your using a portable music source, mp3 player etc., I'm going to guess the M50s lower Ohms (38-Ohm) will be less draining on the battery.
Also the M50s should be easier to travel with.post #7 of 88/11/11 at 8:07pmThread Starter
- Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 26 seconds ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 39 seconds ago
- › Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :) 51 seconds ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 1 minute ago
- › KEF M500 versus Martin Logan Mikros 90 2 minutes ago
- › Altmann Tera Player — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › 2 month old Sennheiser HD800s - perfect condition 3 minutes ago
- › Why would 24 bit / 192 khz flac sound any better than 16 bit / 44.1... 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude