I heard excellent things on both and I'm gonna be using them for monitoring and occasional music listening House/Electro/RnB/DnB/Dubstep
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/12/11
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/12/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 8/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable Audio Technica ATH-M50 alternatives? Last post on 8/13/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO vs Beats By Dre Studio? Last post on 10/16/11 at 7:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for an upgrade from Shure SRH440 Last post on 8/19/11 at 9:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Wondering which headphones to buy Last post on 6/2/11 at 11:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: Today
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/14/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Preface: Hearing the MSB Analog was a long overdue matter. A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided it was a good time to do something about it, hence I got one from local dealer to have the...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time passed,...
Disclaimer I was part of the european leg on the X5 world tour, so I did receive a review unit, free of charge, for ten days, but it was already running FW 1.0. I am in no way affiliated with...
Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited needs some serious burning-in. They sound horrible at the beginning but after about 30-40 hrs they are getting better and better - very open (doesn't sound like closed...
Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO?post #1 of 88/10/11 at 12:27pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/10/11 at 12:37pm
I haven't heard DT 770 pro but from what i've read they match up bout equal to the M50. As you know the M50 are semi-portable and can be collapsed etc.
I own M50 with the coiled cable and im very happy with them although it took me some time to get use to the pleader cushions but they are very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.post #3 of 88/10/11 at 12:38pm
Electronic music is best if through a Grado like sound can.
In all seriousness, I mean this by the greatest means. When you play bass heavy music through a bass heavy can, it turn out WAY too bassy. So a bass light can playing bass heavy music shines.
If you want beyer, get the 32ohm version unless you have a amp, then 250ohm or a really good amp then get the 600ohm.
Beyer would be good and the M50's would be lacking there. But I find Beyer boring because they aren't very forward so I have to toss out and tell you to get a Grado or HD598.
Just my $0.02post #4 of 88/10/11 at 2:09pm
They're both kind of a bit smiley curved for monitoring. However I'd go with the beyers over M50 for electronic any day. They're also more comfortable too, so better music listening experience. Very bright treble gives lots of sparkle, but recessed mids gives a more laid back soundstage.
I sorta disagree about bass heavy songs sounding too bassy on bass heavy cans. Synthesized music isn't acoustic, so there really isn't any objective means of measuring fidelity or quality-- it's mostly purely subjective based on each individuals preferences in sound.post #5 of 88/10/11 at 2:51pmpost #6 of 88/10/11 at 3:01pm
If the source you are using is a headphones amp. (AC powered) or stereo receiver, get the DT-770 80-Ohm (take advantage of that 80-Ohms)
If your using a portable music source, mp3 player etc., I'm going to guess the M50s lower Ohms (38-Ohm) will be less draining on the battery.
Also the M50s should be easier to travel with.post #7 of 88/11/11 at 8:07pmThread Starter
- Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 1 minute ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Some questions about settings (sample rate, latency, etc.) for an... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 2 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones that imitate full sized speakers? 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by WayneWoondirts
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3