I heard excellent things on both and I'm gonna be using them for monitoring and occasional music listening House/Electro/RnB/DnB/Dubstep
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohmtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/12/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/12/11
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/12/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 8/12/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable Audio Technica ATH-M50 alternatives? Last post on 8/13/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50? Last post on 10/2/11 at 2:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO vs Beats By Dre Studio? Last post on 10/16/11 at 7:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for an upgrade from Shure SRH440 Last post on 8/19/11 at 9:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- Wondering which headphones to buy Last post on 6/2/11 at 11:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The original iDSD Micro stood out from the competition as an all-in-one replacement for the most discerning listeners' setups. The original iDSD Micro delivered - I had one, but as I started to not...
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Confusingly, I think Sennheiser is rebranding the Momentum In-Ear (M2 IEi) headphones as HD 1 In-Ear – specifications and appearance are identical. I bought these when my Klipsch S4i started...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONEvery so often as a reviewer you get a surprise – something not quite expected. Sometimes its...
Hello, This is my first review on Head-Fi, or anywhere else for that matter. I will not go through the normal paces of creating a review based on the set pattern of product history, build and...
Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO?post #1 of 88/10/11 at 12:27pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/10/11 at 12:37pm
I haven't heard DT 770 pro but from what i've read they match up bout equal to the M50. As you know the M50 are semi-portable and can be collapsed etc.
I own M50 with the coiled cable and im very happy with them although it took me some time to get use to the pleader cushions but they are very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.post #3 of 88/10/11 at 12:38pm
Electronic music is best if through a Grado like sound can.
In all seriousness, I mean this by the greatest means. When you play bass heavy music through a bass heavy can, it turn out WAY too bassy. So a bass light can playing bass heavy music shines.
If you want beyer, get the 32ohm version unless you have a amp, then 250ohm or a really good amp then get the 600ohm.
Beyer would be good and the M50's would be lacking there. But I find Beyer boring because they aren't very forward so I have to toss out and tell you to get a Grado or HD598.
Just my $0.02post #4 of 88/10/11 at 2:09pm
They're both kind of a bit smiley curved for monitoring. However I'd go with the beyers over M50 for electronic any day. They're also more comfortable too, so better music listening experience. Very bright treble gives lots of sparkle, but recessed mids gives a more laid back soundstage.
I sorta disagree about bass heavy songs sounding too bassy on bass heavy cans. Synthesized music isn't acoustic, so there really isn't any objective means of measuring fidelity or quality-- it's mostly purely subjective based on each individuals preferences in sound.post #5 of 88/10/11 at 2:51pmpost #6 of 88/10/11 at 3:01pm
If the source you are using is a headphones amp. (AC powered) or stereo receiver, get the DT-770 80-Ohm (take advantage of that 80-Ohms)
If your using a portable music source, mp3 player etc., I'm going to guess the M50s lower Ohms (38-Ohm) will be less draining on the battery.
Also the M50s should be easier to travel with.post #7 of 88/11/11 at 8:07pmThread Starter
- Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 14 seconds ago
- › Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution?... 39 seconds ago
- › Ocharaku 音茶楽 thread 47 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 1 minute ago
- › Custom EQ for Sennheiser HD 598 -- LIFTING THE VEIL-- .cfg files... 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your vintage headphones! 3 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by TwinACStacks
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by SOULSIK
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear