Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-GD's site is confusing me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-GD's site is confusing me - Page 2

post #16 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieScent View Post





then I would suggest you start a thread for advice (or maybe you can state it here). in there state your budget and your current headphone(s)and source (don't forget your sound of preference) so people can suggest the best match for you.

 

what you need keep in mind is that sound is very subjective topic due to how different people perceive it. so IMHO the best thing you can do take the best advice you can get, and the rest is trial and error. so like most of the senior member here said "your mileage may vary".

For simplicity's sake, I plan on the Big 3 (K701/HD650/DT880). My budget right now is $600-700 for an amp and source, but it can be elevated if truly needed. I'm looking for an amp that is warm enough to take the high edge away from the K701s, but still has enough clarity to hear true distinction between all 3 cans. I don't care if it's a DAC/amp combo. If they're separate, all I care about for the DAC is that it has optical in/RCA out and carries a clear signal (I'd rather the amp do the coloring if possible, but if not, ok).
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post

If you want to understand a Chinese company/website better, try learning Chinese.....or go to Pacific Valve (AGD retailer) which is in the US and learn from them in good ol' "american".

I don't see how this is at all relevant or helpful. I'm conversational in French and that has taken me 6 years of study to accomplish. At this point in my life I have neither the time nor willpower to devote to learning a third language, and even if I did, the site is registered as ".com" meaning it is inherently written in English, making learning Chinese unnecessary. Therefore, if they want to sell their products to a significant degree, they should communicate effectively in English.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFan12 View Post

Hello grm...

 

The site does take some getting used to, but once you deal with Kingwa and Edwin, after a while you understand a bit better.  I was apprehensive at first and took the plunge and I'm glad I did.  Have purchased several products from them....Great products.

 

Audio-GD products are talked about more in the "Dedicated Source Components" sub-forum.  There was a time when he was putting out so many products so fast it was crazy....lol

 

Here is a thread I started about a year ago when I received my NFB-3....Lots of good info on there from lots of posters...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512856/audio-gd-nfb-2-nfb-3-delivery-impression-thread

 

Good luck...

 

beerchug.gif

Why is that, is it because their DAC sections are more effective than their amps? I've had several recommendations to buy a DAC/amp combo from them and bypass the amp section, using a different unit as the amp.

 


Edited by grmnasasin0227 - 8/9/11 at 10:17pm
post #17 of 33

Interesting comments on the DAC/Amp.  What got me interested in the new NFB-5 was the discrete amp, plus it's kind of cool to be able to switch between different digital filters.  I assume they're using the same filters that are in the new Fostex DAC/Amp.

 

What really turns me off is shipping.  $64 for 30 day delivery with one week lead time on a $330 product?  iBasso ships 2nd day DHL and if my memory serves shipping was $18.  Sure the unit is smaller, but Audio-GD isn't shipping dishwashers.

 

I may just go a NuForce HDP because I have some confidence I'll get support (though Edwin is responsive, it seems shipping costs and times with them are a real issue to consider).  

post #18 of 33

Their stuff is very heavy, the NFB5 for instance is 11 lbs. The iBasso is 1 or 2 lbs shipped.

post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227 View Post

I don't see how this is at all relevant or helpful. I'm conversational in French and that has taken me 6 years of study to accomplish. At this point in my life I have neither the time nor willpower to devote to learning a third language, and even if I did, the site is registered as ".com" meaning it is inherently written in English, making learning Chinese unnecessary. Therefore, if they want to sell their products to a significant degree, they should communicate effectively in English.
 

 


I was being smarmy, sorry. I was suggesting to go to the Pacific Valve site as they sell and give good descriptions of many of the AGD components, and they are based in Chicago.

 

post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Interesting comments on the DAC/Amp.  What got me interested in the new NFB-5 was the discrete amp, plus it's kind of cool to be able to switch between different digital filters.  I assume they're using the same filters that are in the new Fostex DAC/Amp.

 

What really turns me off is shipping.  $64 for 30 day delivery with one week lead time on a $330 product?  iBasso ships 2nd day DHL and if my memory serves shipping was $18.  Sure the unit is smaller, but Audio-GD isn't shipping dishwashers.

 

I may just go a NuForce HDP because I have some confidence I'll get support (though Edwin is responsive, it seems shipping costs and times with them are a real issue to consider).  

 

you'd be suprised how much different international below 1lb shipping and over 1lb shipping can be.
 

 

post #21 of 33

Not only do I agree that the site is very confusing, the customer service was flat out weird. I wanted to get an NFB-12 and like many was very confused about how the ordering/shipping process worked. I sent a friendly email to their customer service, asking about 3 questions in total. It was very brief and to the point. 2 days later, I get an email back with this 1970's looking price-quote. No response to my questions, just a goofy looking quote that I could barely comprehend. This was absolutely not what I asked for and didn't answer a single one of my questions. Even though I hear great things about their gear, this alone makes me never want to buy anything from them. 

post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227 View Post



For simplicity's sake, I plan on the Big 3 (K701/HD650/DT880). My budget right now is $600-700 for an amp and source, but it can be elevated if truly needed. I'm looking for an amp that is warm enough to take the high edge away from the K701s, but still has enough clarity to hear true distinction between all 3 cans. I don't care if it's a DAC/amp combo. If they're separate, all I care about for the DAC is that it has optical in/RCA out and carries a clear signal (I'd rather the amp do the coloring if possible, but if not, ok).

 


Check out Burson if you can stretch.  Great service, and amazing product.  But you have to define "needed" as being "I lust for it" vs "without it I will die."  :-)

 

I'm curious, why would you require optical in?  In general, TOSLINK has more jitter than a decent recent USB implementation, and has always been inferior to a good 75ohm S/PDIF.  Is your source only available via optical?

 

post #23 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post




Check out Burson if you can stretch.  Great service, and amazing product.  But you have to define "needed" as being "I lust for it" vs "without it I will die."  :-)

 

I'm curious, why would you require optical in?  In general, TOSLINK has more jitter than a decent recent USB implementation, and has always been inferior to a good 75ohm S/PDIF.  Is your source only available via optical?

 

Haha Burson's quite a stretch, no? Aren't they like $1200 or so for their DAC/amps? This will be my first setup, there's definitely no need in my mind to spend that much when I could buy 3 decent pairs of cans with that budget. Also, is Burson on the warm side? As an expensive SS manufacturer, I'd imagine them to be much more analytical and geared towards clarity than colored--which is something I may well need for K701s because the highs can be a bit much at times.

 

Audio are definitely not where I have most of my money and knowledge sunk into. I'm foremost a PC builder, tinkerer, and overclocker. To be blunt, USB ports are all tied together into a network and every bus is polled every so often. This can be very taxing for a CPU to drive many devices (such as a mouse, keyboard, an extraneous drive or two) in addition to a DAC, which would try to poll as often as possible when playing music, and it can screw with system stability when everything's pushed a great deal.

 

By 75ohm S/PDIF I assume you mean coaxial? I was actually told the opposite here on these forums, that one should use optical instead of coaxial. Can you explain?
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post

Not only do I agree that the site is very confusing, the customer service was flat out weird. I wanted to get an NFB-12 and like many was very confused about how the ordering/shipping process worked. I sent a friendly email to their customer service, asking about 3 questions in total. It was very brief and to the point. 2 days later, I get an email back with this 1970's looking price-quote. No response to my questions, just a goofy looking quote that I could barely comprehend. This was absolutely not what I asked for and didn't answer a single one of my questions. Even though I hear great things about their gear, this alone makes me never want to buy anything from them. 

Yeah I kind of expected something like that from them given their website...sheesh. Yeah I think you just put the nail in the coffin for me. I'm not gonna buy anything from them. So thanks for the input! :)


Edited by grmnasasin0227 - 8/11/11 at 9:38am
post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by grmnasasin0227 View Post

 

Haha Burson's quite a stretch, no? Aren't they like $1200 or so for their DAC/amps? This will be my first setup, there's definitely no need in my mind to spend that much when I could buy 3 decent pairs of cans with that budget. Also, is Burson on the warm side? As an expensive SS manufacturer, I'd imagine them to be much more analytical and geared towards clarity than colored--which is something I may well need for K701s because the highs can be a bit much at times.

 

By 75ohm S/PDIF I assume you mean coaxial? I was actually told the opposite here on these forums, that one should use optical instead of coaxial. Can you explain?

 


The Burson is very neutral, it's more "natural" than warm or bright or analytical, per se.  I tend to not think about the signature of the sound, as it just seems very right.  But yes, it's definitely a notch up in price. 


Audio-GD is another interesting one for the $.  One thing they allow is to select different op-amps that have a different tonal signature.  I haven't had much time with their gear, but that might be a good choice for you as you can literally spec warm vs. analytical in the order process (which is a very primitive order process, to be sure).  They're much more in line with your price point...

 

Regarding Toslink vs. Coax or BNC: many people assume optical is better because it's more "high tech."  However, it is much more prone to jitter than a good S/PDIF via proper 75ohm cable.  

 

post #25 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post




The Burson is very neutral, it's more "natural" than warm or bright or analytical, per se.  I tend to not think about the signature of the sound, as it just seems very right.  But yes, it's definitely a notch up in price. 


Audio-GD is another interesting one for the $.  One thing they allow is to select different op-amps that have a different tonal signature.  I haven't had much time with their gear, but that might be a good choice for you as you can literally spec warm vs. analytical in the order process (which is a very primitive order process, to be sure).  They're much more in line with your price point...

 

Regarding Toslink vs. Coax or BNC: many people assume optical is better because it's more "high tech."  However, it is much more prone to jitter than a good S/PDIF via proper 75ohm cable.  

 

While AGD might be more in my price range, I think that they definitely mess with my peace of mind. A poorly constructed site, reps who don't answer questions effectively, and if there's any problems I have to ship to and from China--a second and third time over the Pacific--to get the unit dealt with? I'll stay pseudo-local, thanks.

 

So coaxial is the way to go? I'll see what I can find, thanks :)
 

 

post #26 of 33

Coaxial or USB are definitely better options than Toslink.

 

If your system was particularly harsh in the first place Toslink's often soft presentation might work for you but it would bemuch better to just have a neutral system.

 

Regards

 

Macrog

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrog View Post

Coaxial or USB are definitely better options than Toslink.

 

If your system was particularly harsh in the first place Toslink's often soft presentation might work for you but it would bemuch better to just have a neutral system.

 

Regards

 

Macrog

 

I don't think fixing one kind of distortion with another is a good solution.
 

 

post #28 of 33

I don't like to talk bad about people, but Kingwa used to handle customer service very well, but now customer service is handled by Edwin who doesn't do quite as good a job. If you ever get issues trying to communicate with Edwin, simply email Kingwa's personal email with whatever you are inquiring about. audio-gd-kingwa@hotmail.com or king-wa@hotmail.com

 

No matter how crazy the site looks, just refer to the Price List http://audio-gd.com/PriceList.htm

 

It has all their main products listed in categories, and you can pretty much tell by price their technical ability relative to other gear in the same category.

 

I always thought it was kind of crazy that audio-gd has so many products, but after experiencing their gear at different tiers I think they do a good job striking a balance between sound signature and technical ability, so that even their entry level gear offers something unique and enjoyable to someone who usually only likes neutral high fidelity. If you are uncertain which to get, I'd actually recommend just one of audio-gd's entry level combo products, they have surprisingly good detail for the price, while still having musical sound signature. The higher up you go with their neutral line-up, the less musical or in a sense less "enjoyable", and more faithfulness or fidelity. So unless you're dead certain you want to aim for fidelity and neutrality instead of musicality, I'd suggest staying away from upper tier audio-gd neutral gear, go for their entry level gear to help you decide if you like coloration or neutrality, or go for their upper tier musical gear instead.

post #29 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post



 

I don't think fixing one kind of distortion with another is a good solution.
 

 

Can you tell me what is a good solution, then? Thanks :)
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by haloxt View Post

I don't like to talk bad about people, but Kingwa used to handle customer service very well, but now customer service is handled by Edwin who doesn't do quite as good a job. If you ever get issues trying to communicate with Edwin, simply email Kingwa's personal email with whatever you are inquiring about. audio-gd-kingwa@hotmail.com or king-wa@hotmail.com

 

No matter how crazy the site looks, just refer to the Price List http://audio-gd.com/PriceList.htm

 

It has all their main products listed in categories, and you can pretty much tell by price their technical ability relative to other gear in the same category.

 

I always thought it was kind of crazy that audio-gd has so many products, but after experiencing their gear at different tiers I think they do a good job striking a balance between sound signature and technical ability, so that even their entry level gear offers something unique and enjoyable to someone who usually only likes neutral high fidelity. If you are uncertain which to get, I'd actually recommend just one of audio-gd's entry level combo products, they have surprisingly good detail for the price, while still having musical sound signature. The higher up you go with their neutral line-up, the less musical or in a sense less "enjoyable", and more faithfulness or fidelity. So unless you're dead certain you want to aim for fidelity and neutrality instead of musicality, I'd suggest staying away from upper tier audio-gd neutral gear, go for their entry level gear to help you decide if you like coloration or neutrality, or go for their upper tier musical gear instead.

Wow I never noticed that page before haha that cleared up any and all questions I had about what stuff was actually being sold and what their lineup was like. Thanks a bunch! The NFB-3 is very tempting, I'm looking for a DAC sort of like that...
 

 

 

post #30 of 33

if you still havent give up about audio-gdtongue_smile.gif, I think either NFB-3 and C2.1 combo or FUN/NFB-5 (with all 3 of their discrete opamp for adjusting the sound signature you like) is a good start.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-GD's site is confusing me