- 3 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- ATH M50 or M50S? Amped or no? If yes, which amp? Last post on 3/15/11 at 3:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 8/20/12 at 6:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
Edited on 5/27/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Edited on 5/13/13
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
The JVC HA M750's were my first "real" pair of headphones. Previously, I had just used iPod headphones and cheap 10 dollar headphones from my local grocery store. As such, I was very impressed by...
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?post #1 of 138/7/11 at 5:17pmThread StarterWell the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 138/7/11 at 5:21pmpost #3 of 138/7/11 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by whytechapel
Well the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Amazon should be just fine. Maybe you are expecting too much... Many times when people buy headphones, they build up what they think it will sound like before even listening to them. You are using the EQ on what? What amp did you try? What more were you expecting? You can return those if within the correct time period and we can direct you to a better suited pair.post #4 of 138/7/11 at 5:36pmThread StarterDo you mean what setting i have the eq on? It's a custom one i made.I tried a Fiio portable amp, I wasn't really expecting for them to sound incredible or anything, but i though that for headphones like these you didn't need to rely on the eq..post #5 of 138/7/11 at 5:40pmpost #6 of 138/7/11 at 5:42pmQuote:
I meant like iPod, Clip, etc. But it seems to me like you're using a computer/laptop? The Fiio E5 really doesn't do much by the way. The M50 has a generally flat sound, that's why it is so highly regarded. It is an excellent all-rounder. The problem is, flat headphones usually don't have the "WOW" factor. I was bored out my mind with the M50's, not enough bass to be fun to listen to.
post #7 of 138/7/11 at 6:01pmpost #8 of 138/7/11 at 7:45pm
I just got back from a ~500 mile road trip and used my M50s the whole way (plugged directly into my iPod) and now I have my HD650s on (plugged into a FiiO E9) and the difference isn't as big as you might imagine. I even listened to the same songs back to back and it's not like they're three times more enjoyable on the HD650s. The main reason I love my Sennheisers is these bigger, open cans are much more comfortable for my big ears (which are slightly squished in the M50s).
So to answer your question, the ATH-M50 should sound very good. They aren't perfect, the soundstage is especially tiny for example, but their frequency response is as close to flat as anything in the sub $300 range.post #9 of 138/7/11 at 7:47pmpost #10 of 138/7/11 at 8:16pmThread Starterpost #11 of 138/7/11 at 8:19pmpost #12 of 138/7/11 at 9:00pm
beware of "studio" or "monitoring" headphones, they will sound "bland" and too flat for many people. the M50 is highly regarded for audio mixing/mastering. small studio monitors are popular (5-7"), and engineers use headphones like MDR-V6 / M50 for IEM. If you don't like the M50 sounds from start, you will never like the M50 no matter which amp u buy
- Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
- › Fiio X3 Thread. Full review:... 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › Heir Audio 5.0 Impressions/Comparison/Review Thread 1 minute ago
- › NuForce Icon iDo - Mini Review 1 minute ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 2 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 2 minutes ago
- › Dutch/Belgian November 2012 meet 4 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 4 minutes ago
- › Quadlon QX50 - Metal housing, dual driver, detechable cable for 39... 5 minutes ago
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe