- 3 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- ATH M50 or M50S? Amped or no? If yes, which amp? Last post on 3/15/11 at 3:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction With thanks to my esteemed colleague and front page superstar @glassmonkey for fronting this review spectacular. 3 cheers also go out to Iain and the rest of the RHA team for...
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?post #1 of 138/7/11 at 5:17pmThread StarterWell the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 138/7/11 at 5:21pmpost #3 of 138/7/11 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by whytechapel
Well the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Amazon should be just fine. Maybe you are expecting too much... Many times when people buy headphones, they build up what they think it will sound like before even listening to them. You are using the EQ on what? What amp did you try? What more were you expecting? You can return those if within the correct time period and we can direct you to a better suited pair.post #4 of 138/7/11 at 5:36pmThread StarterDo you mean what setting i have the eq on? It's a custom one i made.I tried a Fiio portable amp, I wasn't really expecting for them to sound incredible or anything, but i though that for headphones like these you didn't need to rely on the eq..post #5 of 138/7/11 at 5:40pmpost #6 of 138/7/11 at 5:42pmQuote:
I meant like iPod, Clip, etc. But it seems to me like you're using a computer/laptop? The Fiio E5 really doesn't do much by the way. The M50 has a generally flat sound, that's why it is so highly regarded. It is an excellent all-rounder. The problem is, flat headphones usually don't have the "WOW" factor. I was bored out my mind with the M50's, not enough bass to be fun to listen to.
post #7 of 138/7/11 at 6:01pmpost #8 of 138/7/11 at 7:45pm
I just got back from a ~500 mile road trip and used my M50s the whole way (plugged directly into my iPod) and now I have my HD650s on (plugged into a FiiO E9) and the difference isn't as big as you might imagine. I even listened to the same songs back to back and it's not like they're three times more enjoyable on the HD650s. The main reason I love my Sennheisers is these bigger, open cans are much more comfortable for my big ears (which are slightly squished in the M50s).
So to answer your question, the ATH-M50 should sound very good. They aren't perfect, the soundstage is especially tiny for example, but their frequency response is as close to flat as anything in the sub $300 range.post #9 of 138/7/11 at 7:47pmpost #10 of 138/7/11 at 8:16pmThread Starterpost #11 of 138/7/11 at 8:19pmpost #12 of 138/7/11 at 9:00pm
beware of "studio" or "monitoring" headphones, they will sound "bland" and too flat for many people. the M50 is highly regarded for audio mixing/mastering. small studio monitors are popular (5-7"), and engineers use headphones like MDR-V6 / M50 for IEM. If you don't like the M50 sounds from start, you will never like the M50 no matter which amp u buy
- Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 16 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 30 seconds ago
- › Would my home theatre receiver be able to drive Sennheiser HD 650s? 47 seconds ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 1 minute ago
- › *NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT* Jerry Harvey Audio - Performance Series... 1 minute ago
- › Modi2/magni2 Hd 650 clear but harsh. 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones you regretted buying the most 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › DX200 The style has been chosen by your votes. Details of design... 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 5 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear