- 3 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- ATH M50 or M50S? Amped or no? If yes, which amp? Last post on 3/15/11 at 3:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?post #1 of 138/7/11 at 5:17pmThread StarterWell the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 138/7/11 at 5:21pmpost #3 of 138/7/11 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by whytechapel
Well the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Amazon should be just fine. Maybe you are expecting too much... Many times when people buy headphones, they build up what they think it will sound like before even listening to them. You are using the EQ on what? What amp did you try? What more were you expecting? You can return those if within the correct time period and we can direct you to a better suited pair.post #4 of 138/7/11 at 5:36pmThread StarterDo you mean what setting i have the eq on? It's a custom one i made.I tried a Fiio portable amp, I wasn't really expecting for them to sound incredible or anything, but i though that for headphones like these you didn't need to rely on the eq..post #5 of 138/7/11 at 5:40pmpost #6 of 138/7/11 at 5:42pmQuote:
I meant like iPod, Clip, etc. But it seems to me like you're using a computer/laptop? The Fiio E5 really doesn't do much by the way. The M50 has a generally flat sound, that's why it is so highly regarded. It is an excellent all-rounder. The problem is, flat headphones usually don't have the "WOW" factor. I was bored out my mind with the M50's, not enough bass to be fun to listen to.
post #7 of 138/7/11 at 6:01pmpost #8 of 138/7/11 at 7:45pm
I just got back from a ~500 mile road trip and used my M50s the whole way (plugged directly into my iPod) and now I have my HD650s on (plugged into a FiiO E9) and the difference isn't as big as you might imagine. I even listened to the same songs back to back and it's not like they're three times more enjoyable on the HD650s. The main reason I love my Sennheisers is these bigger, open cans are much more comfortable for my big ears (which are slightly squished in the M50s).
So to answer your question, the ATH-M50 should sound very good. They aren't perfect, the soundstage is especially tiny for example, but their frequency response is as close to flat as anything in the sub $300 range.post #9 of 138/7/11 at 7:47pmpost #10 of 138/7/11 at 8:16pmThread Starterpost #11 of 138/7/11 at 8:19pmpost #12 of 138/7/11 at 9:00pm
beware of "studio" or "monitoring" headphones, they will sound "bland" and too flat for many people. the M50 is highly regarded for audio mixing/mastering. small studio monitors are popular (5-7"), and engineers use headphones like MDR-V6 / M50 for IEM. If you don't like the M50 sounds from start, you will never like the M50 no matter which amp u buy
- Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 11 seconds ago
- › Audiophile by accident . The Hobby: An Unexpected Journey 1 minute ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 1 minute ago
- › Help needed for my dad! Comfortable closed cans 1 minute ago
- › I need advice on my next IEM and on a sound card. 1 minute ago
- › [WTT] for DX90, X5 or HDP-R10 (partial trade with my DX50/ less... 1 minute ago
- › First Impressions of the new Beyerdynamic T70p 2 minutes ago
- › Amp/DAC Combo for K701 and T1 2 minutes ago
- › custom HD800 for sale (will ship anywhere) 2 minutes ago
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)