- 3 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- ATH M50 or M50S? Amped or no? If yes, which amp? Last post on 3/15/11 at 3:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For the complete review click on the IMHO Tech Blog link.
So i bought the pistons 3 from Ibuygou.com a week ago. The unboxing experience was stellar just like the older version, I was slightly disappointed that the chocolate smell was not present. Oh...
Too lazy to write the full review yet LOL. Just posting this out first :)
This is my first audiophile grade headphone and I truly believe that this is a brilliant introduction to how awesome music can sound! I live is South Africa, a country that is renowned for...
When i bough these i had no id'ea how they would sound. I read some reviews but it is a iem that was flying under the radar and kind of hide in the shadow of the BA200 which is TDK's flagship (...
Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?post #1 of 138/7/11 at 5:17pmThread StarterWell the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 138/7/11 at 5:21pmpost #3 of 138/7/11 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by whytechapel
Well the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Amazon should be just fine. Maybe you are expecting too much... Many times when people buy headphones, they build up what they think it will sound like before even listening to them. You are using the EQ on what? What amp did you try? What more were you expecting? You can return those if within the correct time period and we can direct you to a better suited pair.post #4 of 138/7/11 at 5:36pmThread StarterDo you mean what setting i have the eq on? It's a custom one i made.I tried a Fiio portable amp, I wasn't really expecting for them to sound incredible or anything, but i though that for headphones like these you didn't need to rely on the eq..post #5 of 138/7/11 at 5:40pmpost #6 of 138/7/11 at 5:42pmQuote:
I meant like iPod, Clip, etc. But it seems to me like you're using a computer/laptop? The Fiio E5 really doesn't do much by the way. The M50 has a generally flat sound, that's why it is so highly regarded. It is an excellent all-rounder. The problem is, flat headphones usually don't have the "WOW" factor. I was bored out my mind with the M50's, not enough bass to be fun to listen to.
post #7 of 138/7/11 at 6:01pmpost #8 of 138/7/11 at 7:45pm
I just got back from a ~500 mile road trip and used my M50s the whole way (plugged directly into my iPod) and now I have my HD650s on (plugged into a FiiO E9) and the difference isn't as big as you might imagine. I even listened to the same songs back to back and it's not like they're three times more enjoyable on the HD650s. The main reason I love my Sennheisers is these bigger, open cans are much more comfortable for my big ears (which are slightly squished in the M50s).
So to answer your question, the ATH-M50 should sound very good. They aren't perfect, the soundstage is especially tiny for example, but their frequency response is as close to flat as anything in the sub $300 range.post #9 of 138/7/11 at 7:47pmpost #10 of 138/7/11 at 8:16pmThread Starterpost #11 of 138/7/11 at 8:19pmpost #12 of 138/7/11 at 9:00pm
beware of "studio" or "monitoring" headphones, they will sound "bland" and too flat for many people. the M50 is highly regarded for audio mixing/mastering. small studio monitors are popular (5-7"), and engineers use headphones like MDR-V6 / M50 for IEM. If you don't like the M50 sounds from start, you will never like the M50 no matter which amp u buy
- Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 31 seconds ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 33 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 44 seconds ago
- › The Musical Fidelity MF100 , my newest love. 47 seconds ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › ATH AD 900X - fuzzy sound? 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Valhalla or LD MK IV SE for HD 650s 4 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Tzar
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by MakeTotlDestroy
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by Sentinei
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by biggysmalls
- › TDK IE800 by Arvan
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by sarora
- › VSONIC VSD 2S by Arvan
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2