- 3 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- ATH M50 or M50S? Amped or no? If yes, which amp? Last post on 3/15/11 at 3:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Last Minute Questions about Ath-M50 Last post on 6/15/12 at 2:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD598, DT880Pro, SR225, ATH-M50? Last post on 6/15/12 at 7:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Denon DN-HP700 vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFI-580 Last post on 7/5/13 at 4:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mid-fi Studio Headphone Shootout Part 1 - TMA-1 Studio vs. ATH-M50's Last post on 1/15/13 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
The ATH-CK9’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. Built and accessories: The ATH-CKR9 is a dual dynamic IEM featuring two 13mm drivers. The drivers are...
I use these IEM's at work and during travel, it's very easy to transport with the small metal case. It was difficult to achieve the good isolation, i tried 10+ pair of silicon cushions and i...
Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?post #1 of 138/7/11 at 5:17pmThread StarterWell the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 138/7/11 at 5:21pmpost #3 of 138/7/11 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by whytechapel
Well the reason i bought them is because of all the good reviews these get. But i was never impressed when i got them. I definitely need to use the EQ to make them sound good. But without the equalizer on, they sound horrible. I have already used a small amp with them but not much of a difference. I paid the full price on amazon so i guess i f'ed up.
Amazon should be just fine. Maybe you are expecting too much... Many times when people buy headphones, they build up what they think it will sound like before even listening to them. You are using the EQ on what? What amp did you try? What more were you expecting? You can return those if within the correct time period and we can direct you to a better suited pair.post #4 of 138/7/11 at 5:36pmThread StarterDo you mean what setting i have the eq on? It's a custom one i made.I tried a Fiio portable amp, I wasn't really expecting for them to sound incredible or anything, but i though that for headphones like these you didn't need to rely on the eq..post #5 of 138/7/11 at 5:40pmpost #6 of 138/7/11 at 5:42pmQuote:
I meant like iPod, Clip, etc. But it seems to me like you're using a computer/laptop? The Fiio E5 really doesn't do much by the way. The M50 has a generally flat sound, that's why it is so highly regarded. It is an excellent all-rounder. The problem is, flat headphones usually don't have the "WOW" factor. I was bored out my mind with the M50's, not enough bass to be fun to listen to.
post #7 of 138/7/11 at 6:01pmpost #8 of 138/7/11 at 7:45pm
I just got back from a ~500 mile road trip and used my M50s the whole way (plugged directly into my iPod) and now I have my HD650s on (plugged into a FiiO E9) and the difference isn't as big as you might imagine. I even listened to the same songs back to back and it's not like they're three times more enjoyable on the HD650s. The main reason I love my Sennheisers is these bigger, open cans are much more comfortable for my big ears (which are slightly squished in the M50s).
So to answer your question, the ATH-M50 should sound very good. They aren't perfect, the soundstage is especially tiny for example, but their frequency response is as close to flat as anything in the sub $300 range.post #9 of 138/7/11 at 7:47pmpost #10 of 138/7/11 at 8:16pmThread Starterpost #11 of 138/7/11 at 8:19pmpost #12 of 138/7/11 at 9:00pm
beware of "studio" or "monitoring" headphones, they will sound "bland" and too flat for many people. the M50 is highly regarded for audio mixing/mastering. small studio monitors are popular (5-7"), and engineers use headphones like MDR-V6 / M50 for IEM. If you don't like the M50 sounds from start, you will never like the M50 no matter which amp u buy
- Are my Audio Technica M50's fake?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › "The Lab" 35 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions /... 1 minute ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 1 minute ago
- › Open Back, upgrade from IFIMAN HE400 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 3 minutes ago
- › Best Passive Preamp? 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Rank the most accurate headphones you've heard. 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones by Chiek
- › Noble Audio Savant by WCDchee
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2