It is a sweet piece of gear and a good value. I am a big fan of AKM Dac chips.....
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Fostex HP-P1 vs High End DAPs? What can you tell me about SQ? Last post on 2/13/14 at 2:16pm in Dedicated Source Components
- HP-P1 trying to charge my device and stops working. Last post on 2/6/14 at 10:00am in Portable Source Gear
- I Need a Portable DAC/Amp Combo for iPod That's Not an HP-P1 and Not $1K Last post on 4/14/14 at 5:37pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fostex TE-05 Japanese Price, Release Date Announced Last post on 4/10/14 at 6:53pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 54post #796 of 127512/21/12 at 7:22pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #797 of 127512/21/12 at 7:33pmpost #798 of 127512/21/12 at 8:12pm
I bought the Fostex because I did not have an amp that was remotely portable, I had an iTouch 2G that I used only as an alarm clock and SR325i (which already sounds nice from the Macbook). I thought I'd bullseye my audio quality lust with the HP-P1, only I'd like is ability to use the HP-P1 with my Macbook (it is an Apple device damn it).
I've been looking at Apple for a new idevice to use with the Fostex. I considered iPad Mini, iTouch 7G? or iPod Classic. I'm leaning toward something dedicated to audio like the iPod Classic, it's also the cheapest option, it still uses the 30 pin connector, has more than my crumby 8Gb storage presently and it is the most mature product of all. Considerations for the iPad Mini were, uses other than music, and new iTouch just because that'll be what it replaces. The iTouch is a bit annoying with the screen interface and no tactile navigation. Any suggestions?
With the DT1350 already taken it's pound of flesh, this nice HP-P1 and Head-Fi combined seems to be leading to a bit of rash purchasing.
BTW it keeps sounding better every time I listen, I put that down to both psychological (away from my home setup) and electrical bedding in.post #799 of 127512/21/12 at 8:16pmpost #800 of 127512/21/12 at 8:40pm
Thanks Longbowbbs, it looks like a good system for me.
I wonder if anybody has found a difference in the sound if they use a custom "high end" 30pin to USB A cable? I can't think of a reason it would be sounding better (maybe different) than the Fostex supplied cable, that being sufficient to satisfy demand of the system.post #801 of 127512/22/12 at 2:27amQuote:
Not really true... Not a fan of balanced output. Preferred the convenience of the Fostex on the go, with the option of adding on a better amp if i'm feeling muscular that day~ Bought mine recently AFTER the CLAS -db was released.post #802 of 127512/22/12 at 6:11amQuote:Originally Posted by AJHeadfi
Thanks Longbowbbs, it looks like a good system for me.
I wonder if anybody has found a difference in the sound if they use a custom "high end" 30pin to USB A cable? I can't think of a reason it would be sounding better (maybe different) than the Fostex supplied cable, that being sufficient to satisfy demand of the system.
I have a Toxic Cable LOD between the HP-P1 and the IPC 7G....I also use Toxic Cable's for my Sennheiser HD650's...Live the wire. Not sure if it enough of a difference for you to pay the premium, but they are available.post #803 of 127512/22/12 at 6:58pmQuote:
So long as its properly constructed, I'm pretty sure all USB cables are equal for that 5cm of distance to travel. Mini-mini however I do believe in the material of the wires making some difference :)post #804 of 127512/22/12 at 7:05pmpost #805 of 127512/22/12 at 11:36pmpost #806 of 127512/23/12 at 5:55ampost #807 of 127512/23/12 at 7:32amQuote:
Whoops! I think my question could start flamers or other nasties. One thing I've found in audio stuffs is that seems illogical but yet in practice something spooky happens. Maybe one day I'll try a "pimp" looking 30pin-USBA on the HP-P1.post #808 of 127512/23/12 at 8:22ampost #809 of 127512/23/12 at 8:34am
I still have my HP-P1. I did borrow a friend's CLAS/RX3 rig to try and while it was impressive, I ended up getting the Leckerton UH6MKII and have a Pico Power on order. I don't reckon I'll be carrying orthos with me when I travel (unless it is to a meet) and SE performance with borrowed cans or regular IEMs is more important at the moment. For IEMs, I can just use the HP-P1 by itself.post #810 of 127512/23/12 at 10:34amQuote:
Glad i won't be the only one lugging around a HP-P1 with my Pico Power. Also will work with the HM-801 of course.
- Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 56 seconds ago
- › Smeggy Thunderpants African Blackwood 1 minute ago
- › Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › Choosing between philips fidelio x1 and Q701 headpohones 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 2 minutes ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 3 minutes ago
- › Worst speakers you have ever heard 3 minutes ago
- › Yulong's new DA8 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE400 @ $299 versus HE500 @ $599 3 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob