Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 41

post #601 of 1291
Hello - 1st posting. I'm somewhat flummoxed. Had HP-P1 for a week - listening 2 or 3 hours a day - with Westone 4. At present it still sounds much better (clearer and articulate), through the iPod headphone socket. HP-P1 is limp, a little backwood and muggy in comparison - with little (if any) bass. Is this a burn-in issue? Anyone else had similar experience. Is W4 and HP-P1 not a happy combo? Comments most welcome.
 
Thanks.
post #602 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper29 View Post

Hello - 1st posting. I'm somewhat flummoxed. Had HP-P1 for a week - listening 2 or 3 hours a day - with Westone 4. At present it still sounds much better (clearer and articulate), through the iPod headphone socket. HP-P1 is limp, a little backwood and muggy in comparison - with little (if any) bass. Is this a burn-in issue? Anyone else had similar experience. Is W4 and HP-P1 not a happy combo? Comments most welcome.
 
Thanks.

It appears to me you just like the sound of your iPod with the 4r instead of what others around here enjoy using higher end equipment.  Don't feel bad about what you enjoy, just save you money since this is what you enjoy.

post #603 of 1291
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper29 View Post

Hello - 1st posting. I'm somewhat flummoxed. Had HP-P1 for a week - listening 2 or 3 hours a day - with Westone 4. At present it still sounds much better (clearer and articulate), through the iPod headphone socket. HP-P1 is limp, a little backwood and muggy in comparison - with little (if any) bass. Is this a burn-in issue? Anyone else had similar experience. Is W4 and HP-P1 not a happy combo? Comments most welcome.
 
Thanks.

 

I might have to go back and listen to mine (W4); but to me the iPod sounded really close (pretty much the same) to the HP-P1 with these IEMs.  This is with the current gen Nano.  I'm not sure which iPod you have, but my Nano, 4th Gen Touch, and previous 1G iPad all sound the same 'blind'.  I've heard differences between the HP-P1 and iPod with other IEMs; but not with the W4.  I'll check again tonight and report back if I find anything different.

post #604 of 1291

IIRC there were quite a few posts on BA IEMs not jiving with the HP-P1 in the same way as headphones or DD IEMs near the start of the thread during the early phase of impressions.

post #605 of 1291

Thanks for the responses. I'm using 120gb (6th Gen) and prior to HP-P1 coupled with Graham Slee Voyager, which has quite a bass boost with the contour setting. I've hooked this up with HP-P1 and the potential is awesome. Deep, rattling dub basslines but clarity not quite there. The Slee / iPod footprint is near to HP-P1 but all three isn't portable for myself.

 

Bearing in mind combined role of HP-P1 and what I've researched the burn-in looks all important. I'm 'burning' away and nearing 25 hours and can hear a slight improvement. Fingers crossed. Should know once hit 100. Will report back.

post #606 of 1291
@bopper29. What is your source? Ipod classsic/iphone/touch? What gen?

Are your files mp3 128kbs or full lossless? I use lossless ALAC and FLAC.

Can you try it with your friends headphones?

When i tried the Fostex instore a few times i wasnt so impressed, i
Think i even wrote so early on in the thread.
Now when i go back to the ipod headphone out it sounds congested.

One big change for me was changing the usb cable to a more high quality one.
post #607 of 1291

Hi Expatin

320 & lossless - Classic.  At present vocals are sublime, good instrument separation but overall sound is lacking. After burn-in which will only take a few days next step is other headphones (I've heard good reports on DT1350) and also cable upgrade. Probably the qusp route. At present - it's all about the burn-in.

 

Thanks.
 

post #608 of 1291

Yes, it does take a bit of time to open up people say, I am still putting hours on it.

Lillee will probably write something soon, he recommends 200 hours of burn in (If I remember correctly), he sad it opened up with more bass.

 

The sound difference is subtle and took me some time to get used to, also playing with filter 1 and 2 to see which fits each song. I usually leave the gain on 1.

 

Listening to Morcheeba with my Sennheiser MX760 earbuds(I was checking the sound balance-i cant get a good IEM seal atm), mmm warm.

 

But yes, the change in the USB LOD did make a difference in sound quality. Qusp makes quality goods.


Edited by ExpatinJapan - 7/5/12 at 4:38pm
post #609 of 1291

Give it approximately 200 to 300 hours. I think mine changed during this period the most.

post #610 of 1291

I don't think I have even 100 hours on mine, but the change seems more pronounced on headphones. My ES5 and FitEar 334 TO GO! does improve but I find it's track dependent.

I'm pretty excited to let them burn in for the 200-300 mark just to see if there are any changes.

post #611 of 1291

I'm not familiar with the best way to burn in an amp or a dac or headphones. Is there a guide somewhere?

post #612 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by palestofwhite View Post

I don't think I have even 100 hours on mine, but the change seems more pronounced on headphones. My ES5 and FitEar 334 TO GO! does improve but I find it's track dependent.

I'm pretty excited to let them burn in for the 200-300 mark just to see if there are any changes.

Good luck with extended burn-in. Be interesting for a comparative of ES5 & 334!

post #613 of 1291

I think that a lot of the burn in is your ears actually identifying the openings and separation of instruments.  That is why when you go back to the naked ipod it sounds flat and congested.

post #614 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkanai View Post

I'm not familiar with the best way to burn in an amp or a dac or headphones. Is there a guide somewhere?

 

Just listening to music and not worrying about it is probably the best way. But...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan View Post

I think that a lot of the burn in is your ears actually identifying the openings and separation of instruments.  That is why when you go back to the naked ipod it sounds flat and congested.

 

...I've noticed some harshness with both headphones and equipment that went away with use or just being left switched on for a week or two in the case of quite a bit of equipment. I've found there is some mental adjustment with new headphones though too. I second the idea of switching back to one's iPod or iPhone to compare after some time using the HP-P1. It helps to have good, well-recorded music here.

 

I bought the ADL USB cable to try with the HP-P1, incidentally. I can't make out any difference so far. Might only be very subtle.

post #615 of 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

 

I bought the ADL USB cable to try with the HP-P1, incidentally. I can't make out any difference so far. Might only be very subtle.

 

I did the same (so I have two nice cables, the ADL and the moonandtide or whatever they're calling it) and I too can't hear a difference with either one.

 

Oyaide has a 30 pin to USB cable out now. I saw it at the Fujiya AVIC Summer Portable Audio Festival yesterday. Looked good.

 

Thanks for the tip on burn-in.


Edited by gkanai - 7/7/12 at 3:45pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)