Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 40

post #586 of 1275

i use flac on my HM801.  I use apple lossless on my ipod.  Ipod has much more memory, 160 gig.  I have some 24 bit, but it appears that those will have to stay with my HM801 i guess.  Not a big deal, i can still fill my ipod full with regular apple lossless that is not 24 bit.  Itouch doesn't have the memory that i would want, may as well use the 801 that holds a 32 gig sd card.

post #587 of 1275
Yeah I too wish I touch came with more than 64gb, 256gb would be good smily_headphones1.gif
post #588 of 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillee View Post

Yeah I too wish I touch came with more than 64gb, 256gb would be good smily_headphones1.gif

See I don't get this approach. Even in lossless you'll probably (like me) have 160-180 albums on the Touch. Now assuming you listen to 12 albums a day without repeating, that's two weeks worth of listening. Do you really wait that long (2 weeks) before changing albums? I suspect that like me even then some albums remain unlistened to on that particular iteration or rotation.

So given that replacing music is a 5 minute job, 64 gb is more than adequate. My biggest problem is deciding what to listen too, I have 3500 CDs, so choosing takes time (especially as I play albums not songs). More storage would just mean more dithering...

In some ways my preferred set up with the Fostex is a 16gb Nano with just 50 albums - all killer, no filler. Compact as well.

Regards,

Giles
Edited by Gilles De Rais - 6/30/12 at 4:50am
post #589 of 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles De Rais View Post

My biggest problem is deciding what to listen too

This is essentially the problem. I have 80% of my collection on the 230gb classic so that I don't have to choose. Not all of us are umbilical chorded to our home NAS setup all of the time so the larger the better. Sometimes I am weeks away from my collection, and not having the choice to change tracks could be a big problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles De Rais View Post

See I don't get this approach.

I don't expect you to get it because not everyone's situation is the same as yours. It's not a case of one size fits all. If you are happy with 16gb well excellent, but don't presume that we all need and want 16gb... This is essentially the problem with Apple.

Have often thought about buying 2x230gb classics...
post #590 of 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles De Rais View Post



So given that replacing music is a 5 minute job, 64 gb is more than adequate. 

I like to have all of my music, or most of it at least availible so my 160 just does that.  Also it takes way more than five minutes for my ipod to upload 64 gb, maybe i am doing something wrong.

post #591 of 1275
Yes about 25 mins or so to transfer 230gb
post #592 of 1275

With regard to my first post I didn't intend to aggravate or annoy anyone, or take  a shot at them  - merely point out that to me the approach didn't make sense. It stands to reason that one size doesn't fit all, nor did I state that it did or should. Obviously badly expressed on my part. 

 

Now that you've clarified your circumstances Lillee (smallish collection, time away from home stereo) I can see (and accept) why you'd want a larger Touch. And reading my post it is clear that I'm not referring to replacing all my music at one go in five mins, but rather some of it - By the way by your math Lillee, 5mins should be good for 60gb - must be a very quick computer, my macmini can only do 8gb in that time ;-)

 

I guess what I was driving at is that the bigger is better approach may not always be the most appropriate. Take for example the Classics talked about here. To me the fact that they are a hard drive means there are issues of mechanical wear and tear, hard drive shock, rewrite cycles, access speeds, etc all of which either don't exist or are minimised on a flash drive as on the Touch. Having had an 80gb iPod video fail due to shock to the hard drive after a 2 foot fall, means I won't trust that technology again (I've dropped my Touches often enough that I've had the replace the screen. Twice. But they still run...). Now maybe due to budget some people may want something that can hold their entire collection, but to me on a hard drive that's a risk I wouldn't take (sort of like not having redundant backups for a computer music system - another lesson learned the hard way).

 

As I see it my use of the Fostex is as a portable set-up - commuting daily between home and offices (where a Wadia iTransport and an iStreamer are used for the same purpose) and for lunch-times. In this way a slim Touch or Nano is good. For others such as yourself Lillee the Fostex is a transportable system whereyb the bigger bulk of the Classic suits your needs. Horses for courses.

 

Hope this clarifies and ameliorates my points.

 

regards,

 

Giles


Edited by Gilles De Rais - 7/1/12 at 6:12am
post #593 of 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles De Rais View Post

With regard to my first post I didn't intend to aggravate or annoy anyone, or take  a shot at them  - merely point out that to me the approach didn't make sense. It stands to reason that one size doesn't fit all, nor did I state that it did or should. Obviously badly expressed on my part. 

 

Now that you've clarified your circumstances Lillee (smallish collection, time away from home stereo) I can see (and accept) why you'd want a larger Touch. And reading my post it is clear that I'm not referring to replacing all my music at one go in five mins, but rather some of it - By the way by your math Lillee, 5mins should be good for 60gb - must be a very quick computer, my macmini can only do 8gb in that time ;-)

 

I guess what I was driving at is that the bigger is better approach may not always be the most appropriate. Take for example the Classics talked about here. To me the fact that they are a hard drive means there are issues of mechanical wear and tear, hard drive shock, rewrite cycles, access speeds, etc all of which either don't exist or are minimised on a flash drive as on the Touch. Having had an 80gb iPod video fail due to shock to the hard drive after a 2 foot fall, means I won't trust that technology again (I've dropped my Touches often enough that I've had the replace the screen. Twice. But they still run...). Now maybe due to budget some people may want something that can hold their entire collection, but to me on a hard drive that's a risk I wouldn't take (sort of like not having redundant backups for a computer music system - another lesson learned the hard way).

 

As I see it my use of the Fostex is as a portable set-up - commuting daily between home and offices (where a Wadia iTransport and an iStreamer are used for the same purpose) and for lunch-times. In this way a slim Touch or Nano is good. For others such as yourself Lillee the Fostex is a transportable system whereyb the bigger bulk of the Classic suits your needs. Horses for courses.

 

Hope this clarifies and ameliorates my points.

 

regards,

 

Giles

 

Very good points about the HD based classic iPod vs iTouch flash memory.  The one single aspect of the classic iPod that keeps me using it frequently when I do have a choice, is the very direct and simple tactile user interface that I can operate without even looking (and frequently do just that).  With an iTouch I need to stop what I'm doing and consider the screen to skip, stop, or go back.  Since I listen mostly while I am working I'd prefer not to stop what I am doing.  I suppose there must be a remote cord that does this when connected to the headphone jack on an iTouch (anyone?).  64gb is plenty for the kind of circulatory listening I do, but if you're talking about cramming a whole library on there - 2tb ain't gonna fit on any DAP I'm aware of, nor do I really need access to it.  If you want that kind of access, you might also consider Spotify Premium at about $10/month.  The files won't be full-rez, but you'll have access to quite a library.  Just sayin'   

post #594 of 1275

Yes, i see the point of the hard drive for sure.  I have an touch that is dead though, it thinks it is 1969 or something so none of the apps work.  I have tried doing even a factory reset, nothing works.  Someone gave nano with 16 gigs that i was using until i realized my old classic still worked.  

 

The touch also works with the carry case and not the classic.  The only thing i can't get over is that 64gb costs $399. with the touch and i can have 160gb for $249.    Considering the only ipod that i have had die on me is actually the touch, well, i donno ya knowwink_face.gif    Either way this classic is living on borrowed time so i will have to breakdown soon probably and decide again to feed my Fostex, which is always hungry for inputtongue_smile.gif

post #595 of 1275
Hey Giles, no offense taken or meant. Just a healthy discussion.

I too distrust hard drives hence why I have a home NAS setup containing everything. True that even then multiple discs may still fail but what can you do.

Well if there were a solid state option to store your entire collection, all 3500 albums in lossless flac, that you could take on the go with you everywhere, wouldn't this sound like an irresistible solution? Technology has caught up, just no one is offering. I'm sure there are others in this position that would pay decent money for this type of on the go solution.

Anyway 240gb is best on offer at th moment, so far so good
Edited by Lillee - 7/1/12 at 5:32pm
post #596 of 1275

Yeah, i just looked, i have 735 gb of apple lossless and probably flac is 300+ of course some duplicates, and that is after a harddrive fail lost 160gb.  Now if i could just take the time to put the other 75% of the cd's that i never burned on..............eek.gif   Alot of my stuff is downloaded though so who knows how much more room would be needed for the cd's.  Glad for archive.org or much of that music would have cost a couple of flagship headphones.

post #597 of 1275

Oh yeah and on the point of dropping my classic, if I do that then I am in big big trouble because it is connected to my Fostex!

post #598 of 1275

Hi Lillee,

 

Glad to see we're all friends again. On your solid state for 3500 query, for me I'm still not sure I'd take that option if it ever existed - not that I'd rule it out, just I suspect my preference for less choice and a smaller package would be the determining factor. I tend to run three groups of music on the Touch/Nano set-up - new stuff just acquired, genre groupings (I have this tendency to explore all aspects of a genre via vary artists and its progression through time - so for instance at the moment I have about 40 albums of hard jazz-fusion from 1969's Bitches Brew to Alan Holdsworths IOU in 1982 - with a subgrouping of Miles journey from Bitches to Panagea) and key albums in my life (this group is hardest to manage as its about 500 albums long!).

 

I guess that for me the smaller capacity forces me to be more disciplined in my on the go/work listening, whereas at home anything goes... I suspect that within five years this issue of storage capacity will all be moot, as by that stage I assume Apple will be going full lossless on iTunes and have that option available via both Match and the Cloud. Of course once you're out of range of wi-fi, there'll still be issues....

 

Yeah, that would be an expensive drop!, I'd just hope the phones don't get damaged as well! Not sure if insurance would cover that either.

 

Regards,

 

Giles


Edited by Gilles De Rais - 7/1/12 at 6:31pm
post #599 of 1275
smily_headphones1.gif will Fostex hp p1 be able to drive Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650?
post #600 of 1275

Yes
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)