Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Fostex HP-P1 vs High End DAPs? What can you tell me about SQ? Last post on 2/13/14 at 2:16pm in Dedicated Source Components
- HP-P1 trying to charge my device and stops working. Last post on 2/6/14 at 10:00am in Portable Source Gear
- I Need a Portable DAC/Amp Combo for iPod That's Not an HP-P1 and Not $1K Last post on 4/14/14 at 5:37pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fostex TE-05 Japanese Price, Release Date Announced Last post on 4/10/14 at 6:53pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 11post #151 of 127510/13/11 at 1:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 127510/13/11 at 1:57pm@Mkubota1, I think U're onto something there about matching amps to earphones. I wasn't that impressed with the P1 & TF10's. The FX700 bridged the gap between the P1 vs P1+Predator. BTW, good to know about the iOS5 upgrade too. Thx for being the first to test & report on it.
Since we're showing custom IEM's with our HP-P1, here's minepost #153 of 127510/13/11 at 3:02pmpost #154 of 127510/13/11 at 4:43pmpost #155 of 127510/19/11 at 8:06pm
Just wanted to post up some pics I finally managed to take of my rigs:
My portable rig for noisy public transportation commutes:
My portable rig when it's quieter:
Some pictures to get an idea of relative size/scale versus the iBasso D6 and RSA P-51 Mustang:
-Edpost #156 of 127510/20/11 at 6:20amThread StarterQuote:
I like the sound of the W4s out of the Fostex. I just picked up some FX700s... will see how they sound out of it.post #157 of 127510/28/11 at 10:36am
Looking at getting this for portable use, as well as bedside use.
I intend to get a very high quality dac and amp for my bedside rig, but I'd still like to use my iPod, which is what makes the transport function perfect.
My question is whether or not you can use an external DAC instead of the one included in the Fostex. For portable use, I'll use the Fostex's amp and DAC and I'm sure it will sound great, but I'd like to use stand-alone components for my bedside rig.
To summarize, I'd like to know if this can be used simply as a transport, bypassing even its own included amp and DAC for use with stand-alone components.
Sorry if this question has already been asked!post #158 of 127510/28/11 at 11:31am
Ckaz, yes, the Fostex has a Toslink (optical) out allowing you to bypass its DAC and amp. So if you have an external DAC with Toslink in, you can use the Fostex just to extract the digital signal from the iPod.post #159 of 127510/28/11 at 5:47pmpost #160 of 127510/28/11 at 8:54pmQuote:
Yes, I should think so. I use a generic usb wall charger adapter. Same as I use to charge my iPod.post #161 of 127510/29/11 at 2:55am
Hi HP-P1 owners,
Just FYI, I was at the Headphone Festival in Tokyo today with a few other Head-Fi'ers. At the Fostex booth, they offered to upgrade the firmware of my HP-P1 which apparently reduces the battery drain of the iPhone when used with the HP-P1. So if you find your iDevice battery draining quickly when used with the HP-P1, Fostex can fix that.post #162 of 127510/29/11 at 3:49amQuote:Originally Posted by AnakChan
Hi HP-P1 owners,
Just FYI, I was at the Headphone Festival in Tokyo today with a few other Head-Fi'ers. At the Fostex booth, they offered to upgrade the firmware of my HP-P1 which apparently reduces the battery drain of the iPhone when used with the HP-P1. So if you find your iDevice battery draining quickly when used with the HP-P1, Fostex can fix that.
Thanks for the tip, I'd like that! Hope it also works for iPod Classicpost #163 of 127510/29/11 at 3:54ampost #164 of 127510/29/11 at 3:59am
I guess so, I actually didn't ask them if one could do it by themselves. The guy just asked me for my HP-P1 and just did it, I didn't even ask or knew abut the firmware update. I don't even know the former and what the new version numbers are. Apologies, I should have asked him more questions.post #165 of 127510/29/11 at 9:01amThread Starter
I had my HP-P1 updated at the show as well. The guy said it doubled the battery life on the 6G Nano from 3hrs to approximately 6hrs. And he said it should do similar with the iPod Touch 4G, which I had connected at the time. Essentially it should double the battery life. I'm not 100% sure about the Classic, but I could only imagine it would be the same. I think he said that while not available now, it should be downloadable in the future. It appears that all they used was a laptop and the standard USB cable.
- Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... just now
- › JDS Labs Modified O2 and New Charger, COMES WITH FREE OP AMPS... 18 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 36 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 47 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D 5 minutes ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 5 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob