Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 88

post #1306 of 1319

 

 

Classic is kind of old but you get the picture. Venturecraft LOD-sounds great!

post #1307 of 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post
 

 

Super low profile QUSP custom piccolino usb LOD.

 

Hey ExpatinJapan, I believe you sold your HP-P1, how did that go?

 

HP-P1 is not the most detailed DAC or the most bullish amp, but it has a musical charm despite it's not unusual electronic components. It's got to be design. The facia has classic Japanese HiFi industrial design looks yet unmatched :D 

 

I wonder how synergistic the HP-P1 is mated to the HP-V1? There is another cable in there somewhere.

post #1308 of 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJHeadfi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post
 

 

Super low profile QUSP custom piccolino usb LOD.

 

Hey ExpatinJapan, I believe you sold your HP-P1, how did that go?

 

HP-P1 is not the most detailed DAC or the most bullish amp, but it has a musical charm despite it's not unusual electronic components. It's got to be design. The facia has classic Japanese HiFi industrial design looks yet unmatched :D 

 

I wonder how synergistic the HP-P1 is mated to the HP-V1? There is another cable in there somewhere.

I liked the combo. The DAC in the HP-P1 is one I enjoy. I like the AKM chips. I also like tubes so the pairing was fun.

post #1309 of 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

I liked the combo. The DAC in the HP-P1 is one I enjoy. I like the AKM chips. I also like tubes so the pairing was fun.

 

I can second that: nice, musical, though not too resolving combination,very likable. I think its a nice touch that the V1 has line-in both at the front and the back, makes the stack easy to wire up.

post #1310 of 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJHeadfi View Post
 

 

Hey ExpatinJapan, I believe you sold your HP-P1, how did that go?

 

HP-P1 is not the most detailed DAC or the most bullish amp, but it has a musical charm despite it's not unusual electronic components. It's got to be design. The facia has classic Japanese HiFi industrial design looks yet unmatched :D 

 

I wonder how synergistic the HP-P1 is mated to the HP-V1? There is another cable in there somewhere.

It went well, I sold it.

 

Yes, the sound of the HPP1 has a great musical charm.

 

I sold it as I had bought the Hifi-M8. The Hifi-M8 has more power, impedance switches, gain/bass/treble switches.

 

I do miss the Fostex filter switch. I found my unit had a slight channel imbalance before and after servicing, so thats another reason I turned it in.

post #1311 of 1319
Quote:

It went well, I sold it.

 

Yes, the sound of the HPP1 has a great musical charm.

 

I sold it as I had bought the Hifi-M8. The Hifi-M8 has more power, impedance switches, gain/bass/treble switches.

 

I do miss the Fostex filter switch. I found my unit had a slight channel imbalance before and after servicing, so thats another reason I turned it in.

 

You must now fall on your sword. :D 


Edited by AJHeadfi - 12/8/14 at 4:36pm
post #1312 of 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
 

 

I liked the combo. The DAC in the HP-P1 is one I enjoy. I like the AKM chips. I also like tubes so the pairing was fun.

 

I see the purple winner. One day I'll order a HP-V1, I only care about musicality.

 

If anybody is wonder how the T5p synergises with the HP-P1, it's excellent, T5p doesn't need much grunt, it actually performs better with less.


Edited by AJHeadfi - 12/8/14 at 4:39pm
post #1313 of 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJHeadfi View Post
 

 

You must now fall on your sword. :D 

:)

post #1314 of 1319
Im having a hard time deciding between this and the Cypher Labs Duet. Any opinions in sound, it would be paired with my iPod classic.
post #1315 of 1319
Fostex is a Dac/amp for idevices.

Duet is an amp.

You may have to decide what you are looking for, perhaps give us more information.

There are many amps and dac/amps on thr market these days, each with their own sound and strong/weak points.
post #1316 of 1319
I have both fostex ans duet.
The duet is a great amp but with an ipod the fostex is far better because of its dac. I will probably sell my fostex because I bought a HM-901 and I have a theorem 720 for my Ipod and my home setup. Pm me if interested.
Fostex HP-P1 has no hiss at all and is as good for sensitive IEMs as for headphones. It is powerfull
post #1317 of 1319
Well my intention was to buy the duet first than sometime down the road when I have an extra 600 dollars I would purchase the db to go with it. I was thinking I would like to go balanced some day if it is a big difference in sound. But I also heard that the fostex is pretty awesome with the iPod but not a whole lot of power. Another question is would the Fostex have enough power for my HiFiman HE400i?

Thanks for everyone's help. I wish there was a store around here to sample all of these.
post #1318 of 1319

Enough power yes. The Duet is good, but it is a waste of money to use it only with the Ipod internal dac imo.

post #1319 of 1319
I will get the hp-p1 and the v1 for the tube experience. The p1 just seems like the better choice for my iPod, I have to utilize those 160gbs of ALAC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)