Like i said, i haven't had a problem, and you know what happens with some firmware upgrades and SQ.......just say AK120. And it is like a virgin, once you do it, you can't go back.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Will we ever see new high impedance headphones? Last post on 6/3/14 at 6:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- any recommendations for my new fostex HP-P1 Last post on 5/11/14 at 2:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Fostex HP-P1 vs HiFi-M8 for travel rig Last post on 5/20/14 at 12:32am in Portable Headphone Amps
- HP-P1 or HIFI-M8 for travel rig. Last post on 5/6/14 at 12:57pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 7/6/14
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
Got these headphones in blue limited edition and first of all, I must say that they look absolutely fantastic. Sexy in style and design. Not only that, the sound is amazing too! High, mid lows are...
As a precautionary remark: this is the first headphone review I have ever written - although I have read a lot of them; moreover these are the first pair of headphones I own in this price class,...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 76
Gear mentioned in this thread:
UPDATE from Fostex regarding the latest Firmware 1.1.2
Dear Mr. XXXXX,
I am very glad to hear that most problems that you were facing were solved.
The latest V1.1.2 firmware update was issued mainly because we needed to rectify the operation failure with non iOS device which is iPod Classic.
After cycling the power of HP-P1 to which the iPod Classic was connected, the resume function sometimes did not work properly.
We rectified this point.
Of course we rectified minor bugs which were caused by the iOS update.
The volume bar thing is the typical example.
I get exactly this problem with my Classic - it's the only thing I don't like about my HP-P1. Every time I power up the Classic I need to skip a track before it is able to play. I presume there's still no way for consumers to update their own firmware on these devices? (I am in the UK so not sure it's practical to send away?) I would LOVE to get this update!
Does anyone have any further information on the three gain settings for the hp_p1?
From their site
+/- 0.3 db (at 32 ohm load)
which i presume is the first setting.
Thanks in advance.
Logically thinking, the maximum is no gain reduction, each step lower reduces gain by 0.3 db, so the lowest would be 0.6 db lower than the maximum setting, that being no attenuation.
ADD: If anybody listened to the HP-PV recently, impressions would be welcome.
Edited by AJHeadfi - 7/17/13 at 10:08pm
HP-V1 had power issues recently, when solved it should go prod soon.
When feed my home system via the fostex
Use the digital out (with optical cable).
Or the line out (3.5 to double rca cable).
Do they both use the fostex DAC and bypass the amp?
What are the benefits of each.
Also when charging from the wall does it charge my ipod also?
Line out will be using the Fostex DAC - this is now an analogue signal which has started as digital from the iPod.
The optical out is a digital signal - in effect the Fostex is acting as a coax to optical converter and is not processing the signal, it is enabling the iPod to be a digital transport, similar to the Wadia iTransport and other digital docks. This is how I'm using it at present - hooked up to a Naim Dac V1, an infinitely superior Dac.
Which is the crux of your query in essence. If the dac in your stereo is inferior to the Fostex or if you don't have one, then line out. If you have a better dac, then optical and use as a transport.
Hope this helps.
I leave my HP-P1 going 24/7 from an Apple (smallest version) mains-USB. Both the HP-P1 and the iPod Touch remain full charged so there must be enough power to charge and run the devices simultaneously. I have had problems with a poor quality USB cable, they couldn't carry the power needed to the HP-P1, the supplied USB cable works fine.
I believe the DAC filters are passed to the digital out. If you want to use the HP-P1 DAC use line out, if you have a better DAC to use try the digital out. The headphone amp should not be involved in the line out (has it's own I believe) or digital out. I can use the headphone out and the line simultaneously.
Ah ... HP-P1 ... you've still got it. :)
I actually can't remember the sound (except that it was bassier than expected) so I can't definitely say how they'd compare against the A2P's or Woo WA7. However, I'm kind of inclined to think it's competitors (or peers) are more like the Continentals, GoVibe, The Tube, Go-DAP TT (minus the DAC portion), etc.
I never really read much about the specs of the WA7 despite having borrow and listen to it twice, but the A2P's are Class A hybrid & full Class A transportable amps with a healthy power source driving it. So comparing the HP-V1 to them would be like comparing apples to oranges.
- Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 1 second ago
- › Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Lawton tuning - anyone have the instructions? 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Which fit me? 2 minutes ago
- › What are good over ear headphones for electronic music and nice... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)