Like i said, i haven't had a problem, and you know what happens with some firmware upgrades and SQ.......just say AK120. And it is like a virgin, once you do it, you can't go back.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- [Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide [UPDATED] Last post on 10/10/15 at 3:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- FS: Fostex T10 & T20 (Vintage Orthodynamics) Last post on 1/27/15 at 1:00pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Takato's Giant Wanted Ad (Updated 9/8/15) Last post on 9/8/15 at 8:11pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Fostex Goodsmile collab "Toon Workshop" headphones Last post on 9/24/15 at 11:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
Back in March, I received the Zens from Lee of Venture Electronics in exchange for my honest impressions. I was a bit hesitant because I have never enjoyed earbuds, and that bias had me a bit...
I have owned my Audeze LCD 3f for about one year and have enjoyed the headphone immensely. The one thing that bothered me about the LCD 3 was the fact that they just seem to always be slightly...
-- The RBH EP3 is a brand new model succeeding the EP1 & EP2. ~ All photos were taken by me, no stock pictures from the manufacturer were used ~ *Packaging* Simple Box, but...
In 2012 Burson Audio introduced the Musician Series of headphone amplifiers that brought significant technical enhancements to their popular classic HA-160 line. Acknowledging that even the best...
Audio Technica has a long history of making wood-cupped headphones, both in limited edition and production models. The W2002, their first famous limited edition model, is now a highly...
Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 76
Gear mentioned in this thread:
UPDATE from Fostex regarding the latest Firmware 1.1.2
Dear Mr. XXXXX,
I am very glad to hear that most problems that you were facing were solved.
The latest V1.1.2 firmware update was issued mainly because we needed to rectify the operation failure with non iOS device which is iPod Classic.
After cycling the power of HP-P1 to which the iPod Classic was connected, the resume function sometimes did not work properly.
We rectified this point.
Of course we rectified minor bugs which were caused by the iOS update.
The volume bar thing is the typical example.
I get exactly this problem with my Classic - it's the only thing I don't like about my HP-P1. Every time I power up the Classic I need to skip a track before it is able to play. I presume there's still no way for consumers to update their own firmware on these devices? (I am in the UK so not sure it's practical to send away?) I would LOVE to get this update!
Does anyone have any further information on the three gain settings for the hp_p1?
From their site
+/- 0.3 db (at 32 ohm load)
which i presume is the first setting.
Thanks in advance.
Logically thinking, the maximum is no gain reduction, each step lower reduces gain by 0.3 db, so the lowest would be 0.6 db lower than the maximum setting, that being no attenuation.
ADD: If anybody listened to the HP-PV recently, impressions would be welcome.
Edited by AJHeadfi - 7/17/13 at 10:08pm
HP-V1 had power issues recently, when solved it should go prod soon.
When feed my home system via the fostex
Use the digital out (with optical cable).
Or the line out (3.5 to double rca cable).
Do they both use the fostex DAC and bypass the amp?
What are the benefits of each.
Also when charging from the wall does it charge my ipod also?
Line out will be using the Fostex DAC - this is now an analogue signal which has started as digital from the iPod.
The optical out is a digital signal - in effect the Fostex is acting as a coax to optical converter and is not processing the signal, it is enabling the iPod to be a digital transport, similar to the Wadia iTransport and other digital docks. This is how I'm using it at present - hooked up to a Naim Dac V1, an infinitely superior Dac.
Which is the crux of your query in essence. If the dac in your stereo is inferior to the Fostex or if you don't have one, then line out. If you have a better dac, then optical and use as a transport.
Hope this helps.
I leave my HP-P1 going 24/7 from an Apple (smallest version) mains-USB. Both the HP-P1 and the iPod Touch remain full charged so there must be enough power to charge and run the devices simultaneously. I have had problems with a poor quality USB cable, they couldn't carry the power needed to the HP-P1, the supplied USB cable works fine.
I believe the DAC filters are passed to the digital out. If you want to use the HP-P1 DAC use line out, if you have a better DAC to use try the digital out. The headphone amp should not be involved in the line out (has it's own I believe) or digital out. I can use the headphone out and the line simultaneously.
Ah ... HP-P1 ... you've still got it. :)
I actually can't remember the sound (except that it was bassier than expected) so I can't definitely say how they'd compare against the A2P's or Woo WA7. However, I'm kind of inclined to think it's competitors (or peers) are more like the Continentals, GoVibe, The Tube, Go-DAP TT (minus the DAC portion), etc.
I never really read much about the specs of the WA7 despite having borrow and listen to it twice, but the A2P's are Class A hybrid & full Class A transportable amps with a healthy power source driving it. So comparing the HP-V1 to them would be like comparing apples to oranges.
- Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
- › iPhone 6s Sound Quality 30 seconds ago
- › Shanling M2 Review & Impressions Tour 31 seconds ago
- › *NEW* Chord Mojo (mini Hugo?!) 51 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 51 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 1 minute ago
- › 🇸🇬 CanJam Singapore 2016 (20 February - 21 February) 2 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC release E50S and E80S In-Ear Reference Series 2 minutes ago
- › South Florida Head-fiers? 2 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by waynes world
- › HiFiMAN HE-1000 by Blackrain
- › RBH EP-3 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso DAC1 ESS9018 DAC and Headphone Preamp by iDesign
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000Z by Currawong
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2