Like i said, i haven't had a problem, and you know what happens with some firmware upgrades and SQ.......just say AK120. And it is like a virgin, once you do it, you can't go back.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- [Review] WA7 & LCD-2F: DAC shoot-out & tube guide. Last post on Yesterday at 8:40 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- FS: Fostex T10 & T20 (Vintage Orthodynamics) Last post on 1/27/15 at 1:00pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Takato's Giant Wanted Ad (Big update - 3/1/15) Last post on 2/17/15 at 3:32pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Fostex Goodsmile collab "Toon Workshop" headphones Last post on 6/22/14 at 10:30pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
EL-8 fuses the best of many worlds for me. Picture if you will, the deepest, well defined bass you have ever heard. Now add to the picture the warmth only a ribbon tweeter can produce. Top all this...
M6 Pro reviewThe original m6 holds a special place in my heart. It was my first iem purchased after joining Head-fi. It was also my first pair of quality in ear headphones and a stepping stone that...
2 years ago when Fiio X3 came in place, I was so proud to say that it was one the best high quality digital audio player on the market at that time with a very good smooth sound, engaging bass...
They beat my DT 770's. That was enough for me. Everything about them was better. Vocal clarity, soundstage....upfront vocals...beautiful and not just for the price. Under rated... people don't...
Here's everything you need to know http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-sony-playstation-1-scph.html Here's the Stereophile review on it...
Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 76
Gear mentioned in this thread:
UPDATE from Fostex regarding the latest Firmware 1.1.2
Dear Mr. XXXXX,
I am very glad to hear that most problems that you were facing were solved.
The latest V1.1.2 firmware update was issued mainly because we needed to rectify the operation failure with non iOS device which is iPod Classic.
After cycling the power of HP-P1 to which the iPod Classic was connected, the resume function sometimes did not work properly.
We rectified this point.
Of course we rectified minor bugs which were caused by the iOS update.
The volume bar thing is the typical example.
I get exactly this problem with my Classic - it's the only thing I don't like about my HP-P1. Every time I power up the Classic I need to skip a track before it is able to play. I presume there's still no way for consumers to update their own firmware on these devices? (I am in the UK so not sure it's practical to send away?) I would LOVE to get this update!
Does anyone have any further information on the three gain settings for the hp_p1?
From their site
+/- 0.3 db (at 32 ohm load)
which i presume is the first setting.
Thanks in advance.
Logically thinking, the maximum is no gain reduction, each step lower reduces gain by 0.3 db, so the lowest would be 0.6 db lower than the maximum setting, that being no attenuation.
ADD: If anybody listened to the HP-PV recently, impressions would be welcome.
Edited by AJHeadfi - 7/17/13 at 10:08pm
HP-V1 had power issues recently, when solved it should go prod soon.
When feed my home system via the fostex
Use the digital out (with optical cable).
Or the line out (3.5 to double rca cable).
Do they both use the fostex DAC and bypass the amp?
What are the benefits of each.
Also when charging from the wall does it charge my ipod also?
Line out will be using the Fostex DAC - this is now an analogue signal which has started as digital from the iPod.
The optical out is a digital signal - in effect the Fostex is acting as a coax to optical converter and is not processing the signal, it is enabling the iPod to be a digital transport, similar to the Wadia iTransport and other digital docks. This is how I'm using it at present - hooked up to a Naim Dac V1, an infinitely superior Dac.
Which is the crux of your query in essence. If the dac in your stereo is inferior to the Fostex or if you don't have one, then line out. If you have a better dac, then optical and use as a transport.
Hope this helps.
I leave my HP-P1 going 24/7 from an Apple (smallest version) mains-USB. Both the HP-P1 and the iPod Touch remain full charged so there must be enough power to charge and run the devices simultaneously. I have had problems with a poor quality USB cable, they couldn't carry the power needed to the HP-P1, the supplied USB cable works fine.
I believe the DAC filters are passed to the digital out. If you want to use the HP-P1 DAC use line out, if you have a better DAC to use try the digital out. The headphone amp should not be involved in the line out (has it's own I believe) or digital out. I can use the headphone out and the line simultaneously.
Ah ... HP-P1 ... you've still got it. :)
I actually can't remember the sound (except that it was bassier than expected) so I can't definitely say how they'd compare against the A2P's or Woo WA7. However, I'm kind of inclined to think it's competitors (or peers) are more like the Continentals, GoVibe, The Tube, Go-DAP TT (minus the DAC portion), etc.
I never really read much about the specs of the WA7 despite having borrow and listen to it twice, but the A2P's are Class A hybrid & full Class A transportable amps with a healthy power source driving it. So comparing the HP-V1 to them would be like comparing apples to oranges.
- Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › HD800 vs HE1000/MHP1000 impressions. Suprises all around! 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 3 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 3 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 4 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by tonyjoy
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by indieman
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by kytuphicanh
- › Takstar Pro 80 by alphaproject
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2