Like i said, i haven't had a problem, and you know what happens with some firmware upgrades and SQ.......just say AK120. And it is like a virgin, once you do it, you can't go back.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Takato's Giant Wanted Ad Last post on 11/25/14 at 8:13pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Fostex Goodsmile collab "Toon Workshop" headphones Last post on 6/22/14 at 10:30pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Will we ever see new high impedance headphones? Last post on 6/3/14 at 6:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- any recommendations for my new fostex HP-P1 Last post on 5/11/14 at 2:23pm in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/28/14
This is a review for the Shure SE315's, first a little about myself I don't consider myself a hard core audiophile like most people on this site. I am 38 years old and I am just your everyday...
TL;DR : Don't be lazy, I already made the review super short Let's just keep this short, I got the MMX102IE (same version just with a mic and 1 button remote) for about 40$ cuz of a discount...
I am penning down my opinion about the Hidizs AP100 Digital Audio Player. I will try to keep this review simple as possible and I hope it would be easy to read, and will help fellow enthusiasts to...
thanks to it's overall sound quality, details are not even a problem with kdx200. you'll get back every detail you lost on cheaper models like Xiaomi Piston, Brainwavz M4-M5. and there's also some...
Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread) - Page 76
Gear mentioned in this thread:
UPDATE from Fostex regarding the latest Firmware 1.1.2
Dear Mr. XXXXX,
I am very glad to hear that most problems that you were facing were solved.
The latest V1.1.2 firmware update was issued mainly because we needed to rectify the operation failure with non iOS device which is iPod Classic.
After cycling the power of HP-P1 to which the iPod Classic was connected, the resume function sometimes did not work properly.
We rectified this point.
Of course we rectified minor bugs which were caused by the iOS update.
The volume bar thing is the typical example.
I get exactly this problem with my Classic - it's the only thing I don't like about my HP-P1. Every time I power up the Classic I need to skip a track before it is able to play. I presume there's still no way for consumers to update their own firmware on these devices? (I am in the UK so not sure it's practical to send away?) I would LOVE to get this update!
Does anyone have any further information on the three gain settings for the hp_p1?
From their site
+/- 0.3 db (at 32 ohm load)
which i presume is the first setting.
Thanks in advance.
Logically thinking, the maximum is no gain reduction, each step lower reduces gain by 0.3 db, so the lowest would be 0.6 db lower than the maximum setting, that being no attenuation.
ADD: If anybody listened to the HP-PV recently, impressions would be welcome.
Edited by AJHeadfi - 7/17/13 at 10:08pm
HP-V1 had power issues recently, when solved it should go prod soon.
When feed my home system via the fostex
Use the digital out (with optical cable).
Or the line out (3.5 to double rca cable).
Do they both use the fostex DAC and bypass the amp?
What are the benefits of each.
Also when charging from the wall does it charge my ipod also?
Line out will be using the Fostex DAC - this is now an analogue signal which has started as digital from the iPod.
The optical out is a digital signal - in effect the Fostex is acting as a coax to optical converter and is not processing the signal, it is enabling the iPod to be a digital transport, similar to the Wadia iTransport and other digital docks. This is how I'm using it at present - hooked up to a Naim Dac V1, an infinitely superior Dac.
Which is the crux of your query in essence. If the dac in your stereo is inferior to the Fostex or if you don't have one, then line out. If you have a better dac, then optical and use as a transport.
Hope this helps.
I leave my HP-P1 going 24/7 from an Apple (smallest version) mains-USB. Both the HP-P1 and the iPod Touch remain full charged so there must be enough power to charge and run the devices simultaneously. I have had problems with a poor quality USB cable, they couldn't carry the power needed to the HP-P1, the supplied USB cable works fine.
I believe the DAC filters are passed to the digital out. If you want to use the HP-P1 DAC use line out, if you have a better DAC to use try the digital out. The headphone amp should not be involved in the line out (has it's own I believe) or digital out. I can use the headphone out and the line simultaneously.
Ah ... HP-P1 ... you've still got it. :)
I actually can't remember the sound (except that it was bassier than expected) so I can't definitely say how they'd compare against the A2P's or Woo WA7. However, I'm kind of inclined to think it's competitors (or peers) are more like the Continentals, GoVibe, The Tube, Go-DAP TT (minus the DAC portion), etc.
I never really read much about the specs of the WA7 despite having borrow and listen to it twice, but the A2P's are Class A hybrid & full Class A transportable amps with a healthy power source driving it. So comparing the HP-V1 to them would be like comparing apples to oranges.
- Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
- › JVC's new flagship DX2000? 1 minute ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 2 minutes ago
- › Is the ATH M50 Just overrated ? 3 minutes ago
- › Wireless Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 6 minutes ago
- › The Lambert "Play It By Ear" Headphone Amplifier - (DG Review) +... 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 8 minutes ago
- › Winter 2015 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 8 minutes ago
- › NEW Koss Pro4S 9 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 9 minutes ago
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)