I have not listen to the balanced Havana and DS together but I did audition the balanced Havana with my WA5-LE and also a Pass Aleph 3 with the HE-6 and IMO for the money the Havana is a wonderful sounding DAC.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Emmeline HR-2 vs WooAudio 2 Last post on 6/2/11 at 12:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 22 or Audio GD Phoenix to pair with my LCD-2's? Last post on 7/9/11 at 8:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best Solid State amp for HD800? Last post on 1/3/12 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- RSA is making a balanced ortho amp: the black star? Last post on 3/23/11 at 4:43pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- RSA * Dark Star * SE and balanced, dual chassis amp designed to drive most any HP . . Last post on 7/15/11 at 9:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
Last edited: 7/26/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star solid state headphone amplifier - Page 7post #91 of 28511/26/11 at 5:17pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #92 of 28511/29/11 at 11:11am
I have. Very impressive pairing, indeed. Better than any amps I've used them before via speaker taps. The K1Ks are notoriously hard to drive by most amplifiers but the ample headroom provided by the DS easily pushes them to their limits. Don't own a pair of these anymore, but if I did, I would use them with the DS exclusively.post #93 of 28511/29/11 at 1:32pmpost #94 of 28511/29/11 at 6:24pm
In our summer Detroit meet when Ray introduced to us the first DS I was able to listen to a pair of K1K (bass heavy) with it. They sounded great and the DS had more than enough power to drive them with ease.post #95 of 28511/29/11 at 10:04pm
That would be awesome; I've never heard the bass heavy version. I've never heard the DS either for that matter, but with the gain switch it sounds like it will drive any headphone and do it extremely well from the impressions/reviews that I've read. Thanks for weighing in as well.post #96 of 28511/29/11 at 10:15pmpost #97 of 28511/30/11 at 10:21pm
Well, after RMAF 2011 I've been thinking a lot about the DS. It brought the HE-6 to life very well, and never left me feeling that power was lacking or at the limit. It's one of the few amps that could tempt me to part with my Eddie Current ZDT. I'm just not ready to make the move yet because the ZDT is heavenly with my HD-800 and HE-500. I'd need to spend time comparing them with those phones, maybe at RMAF 2012...post #98 of 28512/1/11 at 7:58amQuote:Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
Well, after RMAF 2011 I've been thinking a lot about the DS. It brought the HE-6 to life very well, and never left me feeling that power was lacking or at the limit. It's one of the few amps that could tempt me to part with my Eddie Current ZDT. I'm just not ready to make the move yet because the ZDT is heavenly with my HD-800 and HE-500. I'd need to spend time comparing them with those phones, maybe at RMAF 2012...
That is why I have the WA5-LE and the DS. In that way I have the tube and SS sound.post #99 of 28512/1/11 at 9:44am
Looks like there is a potential impedance incompatibility between the DS and very low impedance and fairly efficient headphones like the Denon D2000/D5000/D7000.
Last night I heard a very low hiss sound when there is no siganl or volume in the DS. It is very low and as soon as music starts you can not even hear it.
It sound incredible with the HE-6, T1, T70, HD800. The Denon sounded amazing too just with that very little hiss when tere is no sound. I have not check it with my DX1000 or Edition 9 but that is next tonight.post #100 of 28512/1/11 at 3:17pm
I am a big fan of both of your amps musicman, congrats on those !
I was wondering how those kind of headphones would fare out of the low gain setting of the Darkstar. I suppose many IEMs would hiss as well.post #101 of 28512/1/11 at 8:30pm
I just tried the Edition 9 and they has the same low level hiss just like the Denon. Apparently the issue is too much gain even at the low gain position.
It is not a big deal because I can control the input gain using the volume of the Squeezebox and also the hiss is not noticeable at all when the music is playing.post #102 of 28512/3/11 at 3:58pmQuote:
The Dark Star was never designed with IEMs and low impedance/highly sensitive headphones like that. Try these at your own risk. The Apache is much better suited for these types of pairings. It doesn't take much effort and you can burn out the drivers in a fraction of a second if you're not careful. Just saying...none of the Ultrasones scale up in performance in response to the enormous headroom offered by the Dark Star so there is no upside in these experiments just a lot of risk. It is designed to drive HifiMAN and Audez'e orthos and also works well with the AKG K1000 in my experience with it.post #103 of 28512/6/11 at 8:57am
Not sure if it's been asked before but I'm prety deperate for answers on the subject lately.
How does the Apache compare to the DarkStar? From anyone that's heard both. I need something with Pre outs so the DarkStar is (unfortunately) out of the question but I need to know how the Apache compares to other Headamps around the level of the DarkStar to see if it's worth the purchase as both a Headamp and Preamp.post #104 of 28512/6/11 at 12:17pmI used to own the Apache and now the Dark Star. IMO both share the same sound signature from Ray. Both are death quiet and very dynamic. Obviously the Apache does not have the same power as the DS. Unfortunately I never had the chance to use the Apache with the HE-6 so I can not comment on that specific aspect. I also tried the Apache as pre-amp in my speakers system with my Threshold amplifiers and it did a very good job.
IMO, if you need a headphones amplifier and pre-amp the Apache is a great option.post #105 of 28512/6/11 at 12:29pm
Good to hear. The Apache is definitely at the top of the short list. Just trying to see if it holds its own at 3k as I may be forced to buy new.
Quote:Originally Posted by musicman59
I used to own the Apache and now the Dark Star. IMO both share the same sound signature from Ray. Both are death quiet and very dynamic. Obviously the Apache does not have the same power as the DS. Unfortunately I never had the chance to use the Apache with the HE-6 so I can not comment on that specific aspect. I also tried the Apache as pre-amp in my speakers system with my Threshold amplifiers and it did a very good job.
IMO, if you need a headphones amplifier and pre-amp the Apache is a great option.
- REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star solid state headphone amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › Anedio D2 DAC release 4 minutes ago
- › Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012) 4 minutes ago
- › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback... 5 minutes ago
- › WOO AUDIO COMPARISON THREAD 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp 5 minutes ago
- › IEM selection 5 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Leckerton audio uha-6s mkii 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe