I have not listen to the balanced Havana and DS together but I did audition the balanced Havana with my WA5-LE and also a Pass Aleph 3 with the HE-6 and IMO for the money the Havana is a wonderful sounding DAC.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- RSA * Dark Star * SE and balanced, dual chassis amp designed to drive most any HP . . Last post on 7/15/11 at 9:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Emmeline HR-2 vs WooAudio 2 Last post on 6/2/11 at 12:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Woo Audio 22 or Audio GD Phoenix to pair with my LCD-2's? Last post on 7/9/11 at 8:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best Solid State amp for HD800? Last post on 1/3/12 at 11:46am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- RSA is making a balanced ortho amp: the black star? Last post on 3/23/11 at 4:43pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
Disclaimer: Bhavneet from Burson Audio offered to send me the Cable+, with no return required, asking me only to post my honest evaluation of its performance when used with the Chromecast...
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star solid state headphone amplifier - Page 7post #91 of 37211/26/11 at 5:17pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #92 of 37211/29/11 at 11:11am
I have. Very impressive pairing, indeed. Better than any amps I've used them before via speaker taps. The K1Ks are notoriously hard to drive by most amplifiers but the ample headroom provided by the DS easily pushes them to their limits. Don't own a pair of these anymore, but if I did, I would use them with the DS exclusively.post #93 of 37211/29/11 at 1:32pmpost #94 of 37211/29/11 at 6:24pm
In our summer Detroit meet when Ray introduced to us the first DS I was able to listen to a pair of K1K (bass heavy) with it. They sounded great and the DS had more than enough power to drive them with ease.post #95 of 37211/29/11 at 10:04pm
That would be awesome; I've never heard the bass heavy version. I've never heard the DS either for that matter, but with the gain switch it sounds like it will drive any headphone and do it extremely well from the impressions/reviews that I've read. Thanks for weighing in as well.post #96 of 37211/29/11 at 10:15pmpost #97 of 37211/30/11 at 10:21pm
Well, after RMAF 2011 I've been thinking a lot about the DS. It brought the HE-6 to life very well, and never left me feeling that power was lacking or at the limit. It's one of the few amps that could tempt me to part with my Eddie Current ZDT. I'm just not ready to make the move yet because the ZDT is heavenly with my HD-800 and HE-500. I'd need to spend time comparing them with those phones, maybe at RMAF 2012...post #98 of 37212/1/11 at 7:58amQuote:Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
Well, after RMAF 2011 I've been thinking a lot about the DS. It brought the HE-6 to life very well, and never left me feeling that power was lacking or at the limit. It's one of the few amps that could tempt me to part with my Eddie Current ZDT. I'm just not ready to make the move yet because the ZDT is heavenly with my HD-800 and HE-500. I'd need to spend time comparing them with those phones, maybe at RMAF 2012...
That is why I have the WA5-LE and the DS. In that way I have the tube and SS sound.post #99 of 37212/1/11 at 9:44am
Looks like there is a potential impedance incompatibility between the DS and very low impedance and fairly efficient headphones like the Denon D2000/D5000/D7000.
Last night I heard a very low hiss sound when there is no siganl or volume in the DS. It is very low and as soon as music starts you can not even hear it.
It sound incredible with the HE-6, T1, T70, HD800. The Denon sounded amazing too just with that very little hiss when tere is no sound. I have not check it with my DX1000 or Edition 9 but that is next tonight.post #100 of 37212/1/11 at 3:17pm
I am a big fan of both of your amps musicman, congrats on those !
I was wondering how those kind of headphones would fare out of the low gain setting of the Darkstar. I suppose many IEMs would hiss as well.post #101 of 37212/1/11 at 8:30pm
I just tried the Edition 9 and they has the same low level hiss just like the Denon. Apparently the issue is too much gain even at the low gain position.
It is not a big deal because I can control the input gain using the volume of the Squeezebox and also the hiss is not noticeable at all when the music is playing.post #102 of 37212/3/11 at 3:58pmQuote:
The Dark Star was never designed with IEMs and low impedance/highly sensitive headphones like that. Try these at your own risk. The Apache is much better suited for these types of pairings. It doesn't take much effort and you can burn out the drivers in a fraction of a second if you're not careful. Just saying...none of the Ultrasones scale up in performance in response to the enormous headroom offered by the Dark Star so there is no upside in these experiments just a lot of risk. It is designed to drive HifiMAN and Audez'e orthos and also works well with the AKG K1000 in my experience with it.post #103 of 37212/6/11 at 8:57am
Not sure if it's been asked before but I'm prety deperate for answers on the subject lately.
How does the Apache compare to the DarkStar? From anyone that's heard both. I need something with Pre outs so the DarkStar is (unfortunately) out of the question but I need to know how the Apache compares to other Headamps around the level of the DarkStar to see if it's worth the purchase as both a Headamp and Preamp.post #104 of 37212/6/11 at 12:17pmI used to own the Apache and now the Dark Star. IMO both share the same sound signature from Ray. Both are death quiet and very dynamic. Obviously the Apache does not have the same power as the DS. Unfortunately I never had the chance to use the Apache with the HE-6 so I can not comment on that specific aspect. I also tried the Apache as pre-amp in my speakers system with my Threshold amplifiers and it did a very good job.
IMO, if you need a headphones amplifier and pre-amp the Apache is a great option.post #105 of 37212/6/11 at 12:29pm
Good to hear. The Apache is definitely at the top of the short list. Just trying to see if it holds its own at 3k as I may be forced to buy new.
Quote:Originally Posted by musicman59
I used to own the Apache and now the Dark Star. IMO both share the same sound signature from Ray. Both are death quiet and very dynamic. Obviously the Apache does not have the same power as the DS. Unfortunately I never had the chance to use the Apache with the HE-6 so I can not comment on that specific aspect. I also tried the Apache as pre-amp in my speakers system with my Threshold amplifiers and it did a very good job.
IMO, if you need a headphones amplifier and pre-amp the Apache is a great option.
- REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star solid state headphone amplifier
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 17 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 29 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 49 seconds ago
- › Ranking K7XX / HD700 / Fidelio X2 / Elear / Ether Flow 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › Auralic Vega 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 1 minute ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear