or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star solid state headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star solid state headphone amplifier - Page 22

post #316 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

The mega amps thing has been going on since very shortly after the release of the HE-6. This is merely the latest iteration.

 

Honestly, I think you are perpetuating the "mega power amps" thing. Go buy an HE-6, hook it up to an amp with a VU meter and tell me you hit (peak) well under 5W at your loudest volume. Just sayin...give it a break.

post #317 of 372

As a HE-6 owner, I suggest those who have any doubts to perform their experiments in practice and report back.

 

I use a vintage Onkyo A-5100 with 70w/ch @8ohms and the VU meters easily hit the 10W mark at normal listening levels. The Onkyo has a huge power supply though.

 

I wish the next iteration of the HE-6 is even worse(better) and anything short of 100w/ch shouldn't be able to power them, just to piss the doubters off:veryevil::veryevil: 

post #318 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post
 

As a HE-6 owner, I suggest those who have any doubts to perform their experiments in practice and report back.

 

I use a vintage Onkyo A-5100 with 70w/ch @8ohms and the VU meters easily hit the 10W mark at normal listening levels. The Onkyo has a huge power supply though.

Yep, exactly my point. I'm not going to argue with that armchair guy anymore...lol.

post #319 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post
 

As a HE-6 owner, I suggest those who have any doubts to perform their experiments in practice and report back.

 

I use a vintage Onkyo A-5100 with 70w/ch @8ohms and the VU meters easily hit the 10W mark at normal listening levels. The Onkyo has a huge power supply though.

 

I wish the next iteration of the HE-6 is even worse(better) and anything short of 100w/ch shouldn't be able to power them, just to piss the doubters off:veryevil::veryevil: 

 

 

Yes...:beerchug:

 

 

Like I said before.  Some people experienced the HE-6 on low to mid level headphone amps then wrote them off.  

 

Then those same people start these silly myths about mega amps and such.  I guess vintage amps / receivers, and just because speaker amps are being used they call them mega amps.  All it takes is some research then maybe these silly myths by these silly people will stop.  

post #320 of 372
There are these things called laws of physics. You might try them out sometime. These headphones are not immune to them. 10W at 50ohm with the sensitivity of the HE-6 is very loud. Even using the most dynamic recording out there, you are at 85dB normal listening level. This is assuming a classical work with 50+ dB dynamic range, which is uncommon. If you are hitting 10W peaks with common popular music with DR of 5-10dB, your average volume is more like 95-100dB with those 115-120dB peaks.

So I say again, if you are listening to normal music (DR 5-10) on HE-6 at a reasonable level (75-80dB average, 90-95dB peak) you are actually not using anywhere near the power you think you are, and thus arguing for overpowered amps is ridiculous.
post #321 of 372

It's seem you are the only one arguing for overpowered amps.  What do you care what amp others are using?  If folks want to use amps with x amount of power - so be it.  I do know the BHA-1 is not up to snuff.  This is based on experience and not laws of physics.


Edited by preproman - 12/14/13 at 8:05pm
post #322 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post


Yes...beerchug.gif


Like I said before.  Some people experienced the HE-6 on low to mid level headphone amps then wrote them off.  

Then those same people start these silly myths about mega amps and such.  I guess vintage amps / receivers, and just because speaker amps are being used they call them mega amps.  All it takes is some research then maybe these silly myths by these silly people will stop.  
The first time the HE-6 was shown it was with a Threshold power amp. It doesn't get much more mega than that. Then you started seeing all these headamps like the Lyr and such advertising 6W @ 50ohm, 8W, and so forth. Then came the speaker amp brigade dropping off 150W and 200W @ 8ohm power amps 'to give it headroom'. I'm not the one starting myths, you guys did it all yourself saying you needed this, when you actually don't.
post #323 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

It's seem you are the only one arguing for overpowered amps.  What do you care what amp others are using?  If folks want to use amps with x amount of power - so be it.  I do know the BHA-1 is not up to snuff.  This is based on experience and not laws of physics.
You aren't using an overpowered amp, though. I have no problem with your choice. 10W @ 8ohm is perfectly fine. Translating that up to 50ohms puts it in a good range, and the Firstwatt is focused on quality of sound, not power ratings. It's people that say 5W @ 50ohm is just enough to start enjoying it that's my annoyance.

Also, I care because someone should care to set the record straight.
Edited by Maxvla - 12/14/13 at 8:15pm
post #324 of 372

Going OT here but any amp with a decently clean and big power supply will happily power the HE-6 as long it has sufficient

 

wattage. Milliwatts is something that the HE-6 despises:D

 

A 40w/ch amp does the trick provided it has a 600w power supply.

 

The Onkyo has a 800w power supply for starters and just doesn't give up on the HE-6. Its a constant surge of power that just

 

keeps on going like the Energizer bunny.

 

On another note, I was discussing these with the owner of Noisy Motel (billymav on headfi) and I would joke that the HE-6

 

simply throw all rules of physics out the window. Might be the gold deposits that increase the resistance and lead to higher

 

power requirements.


Edited by gikigill - 12/14/13 at 8:16pm
post #325 of 372
Sorry to interrupt you guys' argument, just want to pick a nit that's been nagging at me.

VU meters do not measure power.

Ok, it's all yours now. biggrin.gif

se
post #326 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


The first time the HE-6 was shown it was with a Threshold power amp. It doesn't get much more mega than that. Then you started seeing all these headamps like the Lyr and such advertising 6W @ 50ohm, 8W, and so forth. Then came the speaker amp brigade dropping off 150W and 200W @ 8ohm power amps 'to give it headroom'. I'm not the one starting myths, you guys did it all yourself saying you needed this, when you actually don't.

 

SMH - So I guess any ole speaker amp is considered a mega amp huh?  I don't see people talking about needing 1000 watt or even 500 watt amps.  Those are mega amps.  Some Thresholds are good low powered speaker amps and you say it doesn't get much mega than that?  SMH again.  It seems you have a lot to learn.

post #327 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by gikigill View Post

A 40w/ch amp does the trick provided it has a 600w power supply.

A 40 watt per channel amp needs a 600 watt power supply why exactly?

se
post #328 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

SMH - So I guess any ole speaker amp is considered a mega amp huh?  I don't see people talking about needing 1000 watt or even 500 watt amps.  Those are mega amps.  Some Thresholds are good low powered speaker amps and you say it doesn't get much mega than that?  SMH again.  It seems you have a lot to learn.
Your amp is a speaker amp and I said it was fine. It's the ones with double or triple (or more) the power required to max out the HE-6 that I find ridiculous. Regarding the Threshold amp, I could not find the exact model that was used, but I recall it being at least 150Wx2, if not 200W @ 8ohm. A prime example of what I'm talking about. Overkill for the sake of 'my wattage is bigger than yours'.
Edited by Maxvla - 12/14/13 at 8:27pm
post #329 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


A 40 watt per channel amp needs a 600 watt power supply why exactly?

se


Ask Onkyo.

 

No complaints about the power bill though on my side:p

post #330 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

That's not the point. The point is that people are arguing for these mega power amps, when the loudness the extra power brings isn't even useful.

I don't think it is a matter of loudness...it's a matter or having the power at those special points in a piece where there are wide dynamic swings so that the headphones/amp do not sound stressed, which the HE-6/EF-6 combo, unfortunately, does.  I have both the EF-6 and Darstar...believe me, I had the EF-6 before the Darkstar and I hated the idea of having to get the Darkstar because of the above issues.  The Darkstar definitely does not sound stressed...heck, I don't even listen to music that loudly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star solid state headphone amplifier