^ The HD 650 also has a more prominent midrange than the DT880, so it's not just the treble.
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 8/5/11
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/5/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/5/11
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/12/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 8/8/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 8/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- "Best" Piano/Classical full-sized headphones for 350$ or less? Last post on 8/11/11 at 10:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598: Movies and Radiohead Last post on 6/3/11 at 5:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ath-AD900 or Sennheiser HD598 Last post on 8/11/11 at 2:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is Sennheiser going over to the Bright Side? Last post on 1/23/11 at 11:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
The iFi Audio Micro iDSD was sent to me by iFi with help from their Norwegian distributor Audioaktøren for the purpose of doing this review and including it in my recently started $250+ amp/DAC...
This is pretty much the same weightless, rickety, tiny player apparently offered by Kogan, oRiver, Ritmix, etc. It comes decently boxed with a soft pouch, USB cable, and nice looking (if...
Aune M2 Pro Review Intro : Since the past few years I had kept myself away from trying out any new DAPs or audio gear since I was pretty satisfied with my Fiio X5 (1st gen) and Sansa Clip...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
What headphones are more accurate than the HD650s, but still lots of fun? - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 578/8/11 at 7:17pm
Yes that is true. The lack of highs gives way to the mids. Piano sounds very nice on the HD650. It's a specialized can.post #33 of 578/8/11 at 11:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by rambusanna
The HD650 were my favorite cans before I got the Schiit Lyr. Before, I was using my Apogee One as an amp. The One, used as an amp, boosts the treble quite a bit. The One made the HD650 sound quite nice, but it made the K702 sound extremely skeletal and bodyless. I then got the Lyr and started using the One as a DAC. The Lyr made the K702 sound nice and full all across the spectrum. However, it made the HD650 sound too one sided. I felt like there was something missing with the 650 when comparing it to the K702. I then purchased the DT880 600 ohms and I liked the sound even better than the K702. The 880/600 had everything the K702 had, but with crisper highs and more bass. So I sold my 650 and 702. I'm now a Beyer man.
@milosolo I don't think the Lyr is a good choice for the HD650.
@OP I love my Lyr.....it just absolutely makes most headphones sound very nice. Just not the HD650. I think the Lyr is pretty dang close to being neutral. The Apogee One's amp, however, is not neutral. The One and the 650 are polar opposites, which why they sounded nice together (this was unintentional). My questions is, why would anyone want to do this? Why would you go out of your way to buy a non-neutral amp inorder to power a non-neutral set of cans? Keep in mind, if you do buy an amp that boosts the highs to compliment the 650, you won't like it with any other headphone. Don't go out of your way to buy an amp that makes one set of headphones better. Why buy the cow when you can buy milk?
The best way to do this is to buy a neutral amp first and then buy headphones for it. I didn't do it this way, but if I could go back I'd do it this way.
What tubes did you try in the Lyr with the HD650? I've only tried a small number, but I feel the ones I have on hand run the gamut of woeful to breathtaking in terms of synergy with these cans.
I'm with those that feel treble isn't an issue with the HD650. I also believe the best way to make the HD650 shine is to accentuate its unique qualities. The Lyr for me (with the right tubes) elevates the textured presentation, width of soundstage and great imaging already inherent in the HD650. It adds real weight to the instruments and brings the at times smeared bass under control. The tubes I have in place are also incredibly balanced across the spectrum but adds air and depth to the headspace. If treble is perceived as a deficiency, you either like it exaggerated, or another component in your chain is inadequately rendering that spectrum.
Edited by olor1n - 8/8/11 at 11:11pmpost #34 of 578/9/11 at 8:20am
I have only tried 2 sets of tubes w/ the Lyr. The JJ stock tubes, and the RCA 6BQ7A. I see that you have the Orange Globes. I want to get some of those, but they are a little expensive so I have to wait. Where did you buy yours? How much? Why the hell are all these tubes old? Why doesn't someone manufacture them now and sell it for cheap?post #35 of 578/9/11 at 8:37amThe stock JJs are fun for a while but the bloated bass and smeared presentation is hardly flattering for the HD650. I also have the same RCA tubes and to me the HD650 sounded flat and lifeless. No wonder you find the Lyr mediocre for the HD650.post #36 of 578/11/11 at 1:06pm
I'm new to tube rolling. Does a tube really change the sound drastically? Or is it just hype like how recabling is?post #37 of 578/11/11 at 8:08pmQuote:
yes it dose, and recabling not really just hype.post #38 of 578/11/11 at 10:30pm
I'm currently in the middle of auditioning the 650, 600, and 598 to see which one suits me best. I'm using my Oppo BDP-83 analog out to a Schiit Asgard.
My feeling about the 650 is difficult to reconcile. It sounds different depending on the disc I'm spinning. For tight production studio rock, it seems to really sound good - no treble deficiency whatsoever and nice tight bass. Of course the mids are perfect.
On the other hand, the problem I have with them is with many close-mike recorded jazz. Here, the low freqs loose their punch and standing bass and bass guitars often bloom. On a lot of these recordings, I do think the forward mids cover (?) the treble and make them sound dark.
So, I've heard the 650's sound both amazing and terrible with the same source equipment and amplification...post #39 of 578/11/11 at 11:24pmQuote:
What's with the rhetorical questions? In my previous post I stated how tubes can impact synergy (particularly with the HD650). I wasn't talking about subtle differences either.
I don't advocate the mega-bucks charged for boutique cables, but in my experience, quality cables do make a difference compared to stock. What cables have you tried to have come to the conclusion it's all hype? Is it the same compulsion that drove you to declare the Lyr isn't a good match for the HD650?post #40 of 578/12/11 at 11:58am
Why are ya'll acting so surprised with my question? A great number of people here on Head-fi think that recabling doesn't do much. I just wanted an honest answer. So, lets say a headphone is performing at 50% of its potential, unamped. Lets say throwing in a good amp increases the performance to 85%. A good DAC could increase it to 95%? How much do you guys think recabling and tubes increase the performance by?post #41 of 578/12/11 at 2:59pm
I just got nice thick cables from Monoprice. I wrote a review about them here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/566881/monoprice-cables-are-the-best#post_7675816
Now thats how much cables should cost.post #42 of 578/12/11 at 3:10pmThis is tiresome, but I'll spell it out for you one more time. In my experience, tube choice for the Lyr makes a significant difference to what's heard, "night and day" if you want hyperbole.
Cables, in my experience, are more subtle. I'd always advocate pouring those funds into other components first, and I certainly don't believe there's a correlation between quality and asking price (applies to more than cables). However, if you're generally happy with what you hear, your upstream components don't have glaring deficiencies, and you're after a refinement of the sound to suit your preferences, then a recable is worth considering in my opinion. What may be barely noticeable in a rig that lacks resolve, may certainly still be subtle in a rig that's "almost there", but that slight refinement could get you there, and make all the difference.post #43 of 578/12/11 at 5:14pmpost #44 of 578/12/11 at 8:39pm
I don't know if this is a placebo effect or not, but since I plugged in the thicker new cables the volume has increased. I don't think this is a placebo effect because clearly my volume knob is lower than before. Unless my ears all of a sudden became more sensitive, which is highly unlikely. I am thinking that the thicker cables with better contacts (gold plated) are providing more voltage to my amp, and in return it is putting out more volume at a lower knob setting.
I feel like the sound is more refined because the cables are providing more voltage input. Interesting.
- What headphones are more accurate than the HD650s, but still lots of fun?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 8 seconds ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 25 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 3 minutes ago
- › I am total newbie who want an earphone below $50 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 5 minutes ago
- › Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 6 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by peter123
- › Basic M90 by Lad3
- › Aune M2 32BIT DSD portable music player by Faheem
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...