Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone DJ1s good for Dubstep?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone DJ1s good for Dubstep?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I've been looking around for my first pair of true quality headphones for awhile now and I decided upon the Ultrasone DJ1s (not PROs) based on all of the wonderful things you guys have said about the HFI-580s. I just wanted to be reassured that these are the best choice in my price range ($150) for Electronic music, specifically Dubstep and Electro House. I was having trouble deciding between the DJ1, DJ1 PRO (which apparently aren't as good sounding, correct if wrong), HFI-580, ATH-PRO700 MK2, and the ATH-M50s. Obviously, I want a lot of bass so I couldn't decide if I wanted the PRO700 MK2 but decided against them because I read they produce too much bass and it makes the sound muddy. My friend just ordered them so I'll be able to try them out for myself which is nice. From what I've read, the DJ1s are exactly the same (again, please correct me if I'm wrong, because some people say they are the same while some say they're different) as the 580s so I went ahead and ordered them because I loved the looks of them a lot more. I also ordered the Fiio E5 amp to go along with it, just for the hell of it really. Not sure if I even need it. So, based on the music that I'll be listening to, I just want to be sure the DJ1s are best for me because it is a lot of money for me to be spending and I want to make sure I get the best pair possible for the price. Thanks for all the help, this website has been a godsend for the past week of my extensive researching. 

post #2 of 14

Might look into Denon D1100 as well.

post #3 of 14

Yes my friend..

For your price range DJ1 is surely the can for you....

Don't hesitate,get them...

Trust me i know...

I have them for 2 weeks now and i am in a state of trance..

Try to save some money and go higher on Fiio's amps by getting an E7/E11.

The bass presence and impact will be shivering...

I will also tell a friend to commend on your thread if you are not convinced..

He bought them just a few days ago and he is also a very happy guy...


Edited by Optimus Praim - 8/4/11 at 11:57am
post #4 of 14

Hmm lets see. I purchased a Pro700mk2.. returned em.. I was the one that put the stop to the thread on them here at headfi actually...Can't recommend em to any single soul here at headfi...If you want a headcold conjested like sound than by all means but in all honesty.. My idea of Bass champs mean good detail while getting that satisfactory THUMP.. Dj1s will shock n awe you with detail and clarity while providing AMPLE kick in your head BASS..Once you get Bass this good it is hard to like even some more acclaimed balanced cans..

 

DJ1s.. Truly kicks ass.. It is what the Pro700Mk2s should have been.. M50? Is a smooth sounding headphone but lacking in the big Bass punch your looking for... I will gladly tell you.. You made the perfect decision...Money well spent my friend...I also agree.. I love the way they look... Black n white just don't get old..I also like the fact they are actually a bit cheaper than the HFI-580s as well.  

 

Welcome to the Dj1 club.. Oh and they are HFI-580s that has been confirmed but I have a feeling the driver was tweeked just a tad as they put out more volume..Wouldn't surprise me if they tuned the bottom end a bit as well...

 

Prepare yourself for that STUPID SMILE ITUS.. Your friend that just bought the Pro700Mk2s? Tell him to just return em instead of opening em and risk some type of restock fee.. Trust me on this..You guys will think WTF??? For $150.. Remember, friends don't let friends buy a AT Pro700mk2s..If the sheer clamping force don't squeeze your eyeballs out the flabby undefined Bass will leave that not so fresh feeling in your gut..

 

He will also want to get a DJ1 once he hears em. Tell him to get the HFi-580 just to compare the two..   I am curious if they did in fact tweak the driver in any way.. 


Edited by Dsnuts - 8/4/11 at 11:32am
post #5 of 14

Thanks Dsnuts for your comment...

I would like to add that as DSnuts said DJ1 isn't all about bass.

It has clarity,spacious soundstage,detail and very fun to listen to...

Electronic music does not only require a headphone that goes BOOM BOOM...

Every aspect of the song or track must be reproduced accurately and with detail so as to open up your mind...

 

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Hmm lets see. I purchased a Pro700mk2.. returned em.. I was the one that put the stop to the thread on them here at headfi actually...Can't recommend em to any single soul here at headfi...If you want a headcold conjested like sound than by all means but in all honesty.. My idea of Bass champs mean good detail while getting that satisfactory THUMP.. Dj1s will shock n awe you with detail and clarity while providing AMPLE kick in your head BASS..Once you get Bass this good it is hard to like even some more acclaimed balanced cans..

 

DJ1s.. Truly kicks ass.. It is what the Pro700Mk2s should have been.. M50? Is a smooth sounding headphone but lacking in the big Bass punch your looking for... I will gladly tell you.. You made the perfect decision...Money well spent my friend...I also agree.. I love the way they look... Black n white just don't get old..I also like the fact they are actually a bit cheaper than the HFI-580s as well.  

 

Welcome to the Dj1 club.. Oh and they are HFI-580s that has been confirmed but I have a feeling the driver was tweeked just a tad as they put out more volume..Wouldn't surprise me if they tuned the bottom end a bit as well...

 

Prepare yourself for that STUPID SMILE ITUS.. Your friend that just bought the Pro700Mk2s? Tell him to just return em instead of opening em and risk some type of restock fee.. Trust me on this..You guys will think WTF??? For $150.. Remember, friends don't let friends buy a AT Pro700mk2s..If the sheer clamping force don't squeeze your eyeballs out the flabby undefined Bass will leave that not so fresh feeling in your gut..

 

He will also want to get a DJ1 once he hears em. Tell him to get the HFi-580 just to compare the two..   I am curious if they did in fact tweak the driver in any way.. 


Great!! I'm very happy to hear that. I told my friend all of what you said on that previous thread, because that was actually what had me decide against the PRO700 MK2. He insists he wants the extreme bass, so it's up to him I suppose. One other question, will sound leakage be much of any issue? I plan on wearing these around my high school without disturbing others but being able to listen at normal volumes. I'm super excited for these to arrive, the only decent pair of headphones I've ever heard have been Beats and apparently those aren't so decent haha.

 

post #7 of 14

Yes... These headphones have pretty good isolation.  You should be able to listen to skrillex or whatever, and not disturb anyone.  It shouldn't be any louder than a person wearing earbuds.   Granted that it does depend on what you consider "normal" volume.  

post #8 of 14

**** good isolation i would say even on higher volumes..

Nothing to worry about...

I wear them everyday in public..

No one understands what i listen to..

post #9 of 14

Well.. Lets just say your friend is in for a not so good surprise...If he wants overblown bass I think he would have actually done better with a Sony XB series. At least he wouldn't have had to spend so much.. Trust me on this. .He will be jealous once he hears how good your DJ1s sound.. Euphoric I might add. Dubstep Electronica/ Trance/ hiphop.. Anything with Bass sounds fantastic on em..

 

You made the best choice for your needs as they are DJ cans they isolate very well. You will be able to get your dubstep in isolation..

 

And for your buddy.. Let him discover the MK2s.. Just try not to laugh in front of him once he discovers his overblown bass..Then let him listen to your DJ1s..

 

Remember you can't laugh.. Just don't do it... I will just say .. I told you so..

 

Let all of us know how you like em once you get em.. You are in for a treat..


Edited by Dsnuts - 8/4/11 at 12:02pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post
And for your buddy.. Let him discover the MK2s.. Just try not to laugh in front of him once he discovers his overblown bass..Then let him listen to your DJ1s..

 

Remember you can't laugh.. Just don't do it... I will just say .. I told you so..



You are killing me man....biggrin.gif

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Well.. Lets just say your friend is in for a not so good surprise...If he wants overblown bass I think he would have actually done better with a Sony XB series. At least he wouldn't have had to spend so much.. Trust me on this. .He will be jealous once he hears how good your DJ1s sound.. Euphoric I might add. Dubstep Electronica/ Trance/ hiphop.. Anything with Bass sounds fantastic on em..

 

You made the best choice for your needs as they are DJ cans they isolate very well. You will be able to get your dubstep in isolation..

 

And for your buddy.. Let him discover the MK2s.. Just try not to laugh in front of him once he discovers his overblown bass..Then let him listen to your DJ1s..

 

Remember you can't laugh.. Just don't do it... I will just say .. I told you so..

 

Let all of us know how you like em once you get em.. You are in for a treat..


I'm sure he will like them to be honest, he is the type of person who like the big thumping and drives around playing music where you hear nothing but THUMP THUMP haha. I might laugh, but he won't understand why. He, like many others, assume extreme bass = quality. That's not for me though. One final question, was the Fiio E5 necessary and a good choice? I wasn't totally sure what an amp even does besides make it louder, but I got one because people were recommending an amp for other headphones and this one was quite popular, cheap, and portable. I will be using these with my iPhone.

 


Edited by aPurpleKid - 8/4/11 at 12:15pm
post #12 of 14

 For $23 bux or so the Fiio e5... i have it as well. it adds a little extra volume including bass as there is a bass setting on it... If you have a decent MP3 player it wont make too much of a difference.. I would have just bought the Dj1s and tried em out first. But for $23 bux why not.   

 

Aha so he is the cheap flea market bought 20inch BASS  trunk o funk Bass lover..hmmm. He might dig em then I suppose.

 

I know you will dig your Dj1s. I am more curious to know what your buddy thinks of his Mk2s..

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

 For $23 bux or so the Fiio e5... i have it as well. it adds a little extra volume including bass as there is a bass setting on it... If you have a decent MP3 player it wont make too much of a difference.. I would have just bought the Dj1s and tried em out first. But for $23 bux why not.   

 

Aha so he is the cheap flea market bought 20inch BASS  trunk o funk Bass lover..hmmm. He might dig em then I suppose.

 

I know you will dig your Dj1s. I am more curious to know what your buddy thinks of his Mk2s..


I will definitely let you know what we think of both headphones, that's the least I can do for all the help. biggrin.gif

 

post #14 of 14
All the negative comments about the ATH-Pro700 mk2 actually make them seem like they would be fun to have around.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone DJ1s good for Dubstep?