I'm interested in buying JH-16 IEMs, but I'm wondering about the DSP. The thing is that when I'm at home I'm going to be using them to listen to a lot of vinyl, and I'm worried that the DSP might ruin that analog sound. Does anyone know if it will or not? And is it really worth getting in the first place?
Related Forum Threads
- Customs IEM and how long it last?? Last post on 1/22/12 at 11:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- My jh-3a+jh16 need help picking out my artwork !! warning 56k Last post on 10/12/10 at 11:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH Audio JH-3A Last post on 3/17/11 at 1:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs For PUNCHY Bass Last post on 11/8/12 at 3:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
So, first off, I must say that for 200 dollars (or 170, in my case, for a unit that was previously a store-display model), you CANNOT go wrong with this superb little DAP. The soundstage and...
I bought a pair of these for a real steal (used, for 70 bucks, on Amazon) earlier this month and I am LOVING them more than almost any other purchase I've made in my life. They sound amazing. ....
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Introduction: The whole reason I purchased these was because of jekostas review of the Bette 8MM 1+1 Hybrid: The 10MM version is going to mirror a lot of the 8MM, though I do not have the...
JH16's, with or without JH-3A?
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 98/3/11 at 4:48pm
If you mean JH-3a (DSP) then it won't because it's just crossover and AMPs for better soundquality. But you won't be able to use your JH16Pro without it, i think only JH16Pro willbe your better bet.
Edited by ZARIM - 8/3/11 at 4:53pmpost #3 of 98/3/11 at 7:46pm
the JH-3A is basically just a uber DAC, amp and active crossover built together. It should (I think?) sound better than normal JH16's, but if you get the 3A, you won't be able to use the JH16's without it since the crossover is now built into the 3A unit rather than the earpieces.
I don't think the 3A would lose your analog sound since it has analog inputs which would just allow for it to be used as an amp only bypassing the DAC section.
I have never tried it, but that is the impression I get from reading around the interwebs. Therefore, if somebody owns it, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Edited by seaskimmer - 8/3/11 at 7:48pmpost #4 of 98/4/11 at 6:16amThread Starter
Yeah that's the impression I got too, but I did read in a couple of places that there was some sort of digital conversion going on, so I'm not sure. I'm hoping that someone's maybe tried it with vinyl and can say for sure.post #5 of 98/13/11 at 1:26ampost #6 of 98/13/11 at 2:47ampost #7 of 911/22/11 at 12:58am
Yes it accepts digital input via coax or usb.
Yes you can use the 16's with or without the 3a.
No it's not, "basically just a uber DAC, amp and active crossover built together". If your using Vinyl then the 3a will need to convert it to digital, process DSP, then through DAC and then amped etc. So it will not be a pure analog system anymore so that is something to consider.
I owned the jh-3a rev1 for 3 months and feeding it analog signal wasn't the best way to use it at all - SQ suffered from the multiple conversions.
However one of the many large changes in the Rev 2 is the quality increase when feeding an analog signal.
There are impressions by Warp08 detailing the quality of using the 3a with a analog source.
So Yes I think it would fit your needs but you will be paying for features/processes that you probably don't need by the sounds of it.post #8 of 911/23/11 at 9:15ampost #9 of 911/25/11 at 7:17amThread Starter
Thank you very for that info. Either way, since making this thread I've already bought the JH-16's without one. The more I thought about it, the less I wanted to carry around my iPhone+CLAS+3a to make the most of it.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH16's, with or without JH-3A?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM! 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews 1 minute ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 2 minutes ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 3 minutes ago
- › Do we have any serious producers/recording engineers using Grados? 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 4 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 5 minutes ago
- › How to make a comprehensive head-fi review? 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3