I love my Panasonic RP-HJE900 for the quick sound fix I use them for. I used to always carry them in my pocket in case I should get bored somehow. But now I gave them away to a hot girl so I either have to get a new pair or upgrade (200 €)... or ask back for them!
What I love about the HJE900:
- easy fit: the sound changes minimally at best. I have no problems searching a perfect fit. They just go in and out without having to even out the air pressure in the ear canals - I hate this with IEMs! I prefer either vent holes, like with the HJE900, or foam tips
- elegant looks: the build quality is amazing. They just look luxurious. It will be very difficult for me to accept a piece of plastic for an upgrade
- natural sound: the sound signature is slightly v-shaped, no doubt, but the overall tonality is great. It's a wee bit too warm sounding, but it works well on-the-go, IMO
- frequency range: the bass goes low and the highs come to no end. I love this, I never have the feeling like I'm missing anything in the sound.
- soundstage: the soundstage is fairly accurate and intimate. But the sound is very airy and the instrument separation is good
What I would like to improve upon:
- resolution: obviously I can hear far greater details with my PRO 900 or with the T1. I wouldn't mind a better clarity
- less recessed mids: I don't want the mids to be pronounced, please not! But I don't want them to be more recessed than with the HJE900. Slightly more balanced would be nice.
- slightly less harsher highs: Really, just slightly! But only if it doesn't affect the extension
- iPhone mic: an iPhone control with mic would be sweet. I can't understand there's none available for the HJE900 since it already has replaceable cables
That's about it. Here are some alternatives I have checked out already:
- HD25-1 II: They look crap and, coming from Ultrasone, they triggered claustrophobia with their flat soundstage and warm sound
- DT1350: The fit issue will bother me, no doubt. At work I have to quickly put them on and off and don't want to search for the perfect seal
- MDR-Z1000: Everything I read sounds great so far. But they are far above my budget and I'm not searching for a pair to replace my PRO 900
- PFE 122: I had these before. I actually preferred the HJE900. Resolution was better, but everything else failed to keep up with the Panasonic
- plenty more, actually. You can check my profile for a list
Source: iPhone 4 exclusively. I don't want a portable DAC/amp for this purchase.
I prefer IEMs at this point. A slightly pronounced bass will do fine at work (I have a very noisy work environment - I work with Chinese, haha), but I don't want more bass than the HJE900 has, though. I think a DT880 as IEM is what I'm looking for.
Edited by Ultrazino - 8/2/11 at 7:47am