I though the DDM2s timbre was average as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D5000 equivalent IEMs Last post on 11/7/12 at 5:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- buying JVC HA-FX101 or else for EDM listening while owning philips she3590 Last post on 9/30/12 at 7:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- After TF10s, Radius HP TWD and Westone 3... Last post on 8/10/12 at 8:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What are the best IEMs that can be worn Straight-down and NOT Over-the-ear? Last post on 9/10/13 at 6:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony mdr ex1000 or Others? Last post on 10/20/11 at 6:24pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
I have owned the ECP Audio L-2 for about 2 months now. I also own an Eddie Current Super 7 with NOS tubes, including Tung Sol BGRP driver tube. I have previously owned the Woo WA22, the Luxman...
I'm a noob to high quality audio equipment. I have been using V-Moda M-80's. I bought these because they were onsale for $272, and it would be stupid not to buy them at that price. I just opened...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Got My Brookstone Dual Drive Earbuds Today! - Page 4
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Exactly, and have wooden housings and wood drivers. Not exactly a fair comparison but hopefully puts it in a larger perspective.
Hmm, interesting. The more I read from Radius users/listeners the more these sound like they are indeed the same.
The Brookstones and both Radius phones,FWIW, have their own unique tone and timbre. Those looking for accurate over enjoyable tone/timbre should look elsewhere. My KRK and EX600(minus the foam) do accurate tone and timbre quite well. These phones are about lushness, warmth, texture, and an enjoyable presentation. Timbre is kinda natural and agreeable. Enjoyable but not highly accurate.
I would agree with shotgunshane that the mids might be slightly forward. Might have thought that was due to my S639's signature but it the same on other sources.
In all honesty, in the two weeks I spent with the TWF21 I never liked their signature better than my Trident. But the Brookstone pair seem to have some extra sparkle up top and my Trident do not sound livelier like they did against the Radius. I think I put the enjoyment factor Trident->Xears->Radius but the Brookstone are as enjoyable and engaging as the Trident are.
So, I'll have to say they might not sound just like the TWF21 but very similar. We'll see if someone gets to compare the two directly. But again, as shotgunshane mentioned, well worth the price.
*** Of course further burn in is necessary so take my take on the current treble amount/sparkle with a grain of salt. The treble can calm down just as with my EX600 and can change the Brookstone more toward the Radius which, by my turn in the loaner program, had been well cooked. We'll see how it progresses
Edited by jant71 - 8/3/11 at 2:07pm
And they look cool in all black and chrome.
Edited by shotgunshane - 8/3/11 at 12:32pm
I asked them about shipping costs to India and ...
guess I'll buy DDM2 instead
I’ve got close to 20 hours on them now...
Treble is very reminiscent of SM3 treble. It’s pretty detailed and extended, even a little sparkle but takes a back seat to the rest of the presentation. Mids to me remain fairly neutral in presentation. If pressed I might say a tad bit forward. Bass has come in stronger and definitely has a little bit of bleed into the mids warming up the sound. Bass seems equal parts mid and sub bass. These are definitely bassy, non fatiguing phones that lean towards a being just slightly dark.
This phone requires no amping and sounds really good from HO. They are pretty efficient and you can really crank them up, if you desire, without any degradation of sound. I would say soundstage is average and despite being vented do not have a large or airy presentation. Notes are pretty thick in nature. Also isolation is pretty low. I think my Sony EX1000 and JVC FX700 isolate a bit more. They are definitely very comfortable to wear and fit very snugly, however the cord is a bit microphonic. A shirt clip is probably a must if you use these during any kind of vigorous activity.
In direct comparison with another bassy phone like the JVC FX700 you immediately hear the difference in clarity, separation and timbre the JVC’s have. The JVC’s presentation is a good bit brighter as well. The Brookstone’s seem to have a much thicker and warmer note than the JVC’s and has less dynamic range as well. The digiZoid zo (tuned all the way down) helps bring out a bit better dynamics, however I do not like adding any of the bass enhancement steps with them. I’ve never heard the real Radius offering, so I cannot comment on how close they are to these but I can say these are well worth $60.
That describes DDM2 to me. I agree with you and Inks about the timbre too! JVC is well...special!
Also, DDM2 is a bit underwhelming initially. It needs some time for it to be appreciated. I remember liking the FX700 instantly, but with DDM2, I needed sometime to warm up (a whole album) before I thought they were any good. Hope somebody can compare them side by side soon. Not sure when the DDM2 gets back to ljokerl as I just sent it on the way to the next person a couple of days ago.
I got my pair of Brookstone Clear Dual Drive today, and while I am burning them in / casually listening, I had a quick question. I read earlier in this thread that Radius is a Japanese audio company. My pair of Brookstone say - "Made in China" on the box. Does Radius source their products from China as well? Or are these made in a different factory than the Radius dual drivers?
Why because you like them? It's relative, having heard the FX700, EX1000, HJE900, MDTributes, etc. these are not up there in timbre imo, but to be fair it is slightly above average. There is no wrong though, if the timbre is fine to you then okay but once again it's relative as well.
Edited by Inks - 8/4/11 at 2:44pm
I just received these today. No burn in and they sound quite nice. Warm sound, good bass and the treble seems smooth. Light and very comfortable. I'd say these are a steal for $60.
No, because it's just not true. Timbre in DDM2 are far from being below average, smooth, clear, sibilance free-yes, below average-no. From what I read here about these, they are more similar to DDM 1 than DDM2 which are more balanced and not that bass heavy. What about soundstage in these 'look a like ddm2' iems? DDM2 has great, open soundstage.
Edited by Tiges - 8/5/11 at 5:33am
- Got My Brookstone Dual Drive Earbuds Today!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 17 seconds ago
- › = Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification) 28 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 59 seconds ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 1 minute ago
- › Westone ES5 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: June 28th, 2013) 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 4 minutes ago
- › BRAND NEW, SEALED, MONSTER COPPER PRO with CONTROL TALK 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › Shure SE535-V Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with... by Wilderbeast
- › Sony MDRXB600 Extra Bass Over the Head 40mm Driver Headphone, Black by Shini44
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by joe