I though the DDM2s timbre was average as well.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- D5000 equivalent IEMs Last post on 11/7/12 at 5:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- buying JVC HA-FX101 or else for EDM listening while owning philips she3590 Last post on 9/30/12 at 7:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- After TF10s, Radius HP TWD and Westone 3... Last post on 8/10/12 at 8:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What are the best IEMs that can be worn Straight-down and NOT Over-the-ear? Last post on 9/10/13 at 6:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony mdr ex1000 or Others? Last post on 10/20/11 at 6:24pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I picked up these for my wife. I thought that since she is more of an average listener (not too concerned with audio), the V-shaped sound might be acceptable or even preferred. I gave them a listen...
I got to listen to these for a couple weeks as part of the USA tour, with the requirement that I write a review and pay to ship them to the next participant. I am not affiliated with, and was not...
Introduction: I have had the chance to listen to the HD800 a few times at local Head-Fi meets. However, I have never got a good chance to listen to them, either the person who owned them...
At the time of this review, the iFi micro iDSD, iFi nano Gemini cable and iFi nano iUSB3.0 was for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are links for the purchase of these three...
These so far dethroned all my top headphones. Deeper more natural bass than the M50X, or the HE-400, better 3d imaging, and speed than the AD900x, better comfort than the DT990pro. Mine is...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Got My Brookstone Dual Drive Earbuds Today! - Page 4
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Exactly, and have wooden housings and wood drivers. Not exactly a fair comparison but hopefully puts it in a larger perspective.
Hmm, interesting. The more I read from Radius users/listeners the more these sound like they are indeed the same.
The Brookstones and both Radius phones,FWIW, have their own unique tone and timbre. Those looking for accurate over enjoyable tone/timbre should look elsewhere. My KRK and EX600(minus the foam) do accurate tone and timbre quite well. These phones are about lushness, warmth, texture, and an enjoyable presentation. Timbre is kinda natural and agreeable. Enjoyable but not highly accurate.
I would agree with shotgunshane that the mids might be slightly forward. Might have thought that was due to my S639's signature but it the same on other sources.
In all honesty, in the two weeks I spent with the TWF21 I never liked their signature better than my Trident. But the Brookstone pair seem to have some extra sparkle up top and my Trident do not sound livelier like they did against the Radius. I think I put the enjoyment factor Trident->Xears->Radius but the Brookstone are as enjoyable and engaging as the Trident are.
So, I'll have to say they might not sound just like the TWF21 but very similar. We'll see if someone gets to compare the two directly. But again, as shotgunshane mentioned, well worth the price.
*** Of course further burn in is necessary so take my take on the current treble amount/sparkle with a grain of salt. The treble can calm down just as with my EX600 and can change the Brookstone more toward the Radius which, by my turn in the loaner program, had been well cooked. We'll see how it progresses
Edited by jant71 - 8/3/11 at 2:07pm
And they look cool in all black and chrome.
Edited by shotgunshane - 8/3/11 at 12:32pm
I asked them about shipping costs to India and ...
guess I'll buy DDM2 instead
I’ve got close to 20 hours on them now...
Treble is very reminiscent of SM3 treble. It’s pretty detailed and extended, even a little sparkle but takes a back seat to the rest of the presentation. Mids to me remain fairly neutral in presentation. If pressed I might say a tad bit forward. Bass has come in stronger and definitely has a little bit of bleed into the mids warming up the sound. Bass seems equal parts mid and sub bass. These are definitely bassy, non fatiguing phones that lean towards a being just slightly dark.
This phone requires no amping and sounds really good from HO. They are pretty efficient and you can really crank them up, if you desire, without any degradation of sound. I would say soundstage is average and despite being vented do not have a large or airy presentation. Notes are pretty thick in nature. Also isolation is pretty low. I think my Sony EX1000 and JVC FX700 isolate a bit more. They are definitely very comfortable to wear and fit very snugly, however the cord is a bit microphonic. A shirt clip is probably a must if you use these during any kind of vigorous activity.
In direct comparison with another bassy phone like the JVC FX700 you immediately hear the difference in clarity, separation and timbre the JVC’s have. The JVC’s presentation is a good bit brighter as well. The Brookstone’s seem to have a much thicker and warmer note than the JVC’s and has less dynamic range as well. The digiZoid zo (tuned all the way down) helps bring out a bit better dynamics, however I do not like adding any of the bass enhancement steps with them. I’ve never heard the real Radius offering, so I cannot comment on how close they are to these but I can say these are well worth $60.
That describes DDM2 to me. I agree with you and Inks about the timbre too! JVC is well...special!
Also, DDM2 is a bit underwhelming initially. It needs some time for it to be appreciated. I remember liking the FX700 instantly, but with DDM2, I needed sometime to warm up (a whole album) before I thought they were any good. Hope somebody can compare them side by side soon. Not sure when the DDM2 gets back to ljokerl as I just sent it on the way to the next person a couple of days ago.
I got my pair of Brookstone Clear Dual Drive today, and while I am burning them in / casually listening, I had a quick question. I read earlier in this thread that Radius is a Japanese audio company. My pair of Brookstone say - "Made in China" on the box. Does Radius source their products from China as well? Or are these made in a different factory than the Radius dual drivers?
Why because you like them? It's relative, having heard the FX700, EX1000, HJE900, MDTributes, etc. these are not up there in timbre imo, but to be fair it is slightly above average. There is no wrong though, if the timbre is fine to you then okay but once again it's relative as well.
Edited by Inks - 8/4/11 at 2:44pm
I just received these today. No burn in and they sound quite nice. Warm sound, good bass and the treble seems smooth. Light and very comfortable. I'd say these are a steal for $60.
No, because it's just not true. Timbre in DDM2 are far from being below average, smooth, clear, sibilance free-yes, below average-no. From what I read here about these, they are more similar to DDM 1 than DDM2 which are more balanced and not that bass heavy. What about soundstage in these 'look a like ddm2' iems? DDM2 has great, open soundstage.
Edited by Tiges - 8/5/11 at 5:33am
- Got My Brookstone Dual Drive Earbuds Today!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Looking for great portable headphone or IEM match for iBasso DX80! 1 second ago
- › Portland - Oregon Head-Fi Meet, May 7th 9:30am - 3:30 pm Mt Scott... 1 minute ago
- › High-End Earbuds (VE, Blox, SHOZY etc) and Earbud Gear Discussion &... 1 minute ago
- › 2016 St. Louis Area Spring Meet - April 30, 2016 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 5 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by areek
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › X-18 D2 - Sundown Audio 18" Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer by RockeyDA
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by mark2410
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse