I'm looking for something in the $500 maybe maximum $650 range and that's pushing it. I enjoy hard hitting but tightly accurate bass. Definitely bass heavy listener but I want detailed clear bass that is also loud. I dislike sibilance greatly but also would like clear sparkling highs. I like good separation in the music and being able to pick out all the nuances in the song. I like to be able to get it loud and disortion free if i want or nice medium level with equal performance. I use an imod/pico slim combo. Suggestions please? Your time in appreciated.
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 8/1/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/1/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/1/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 8/1/11
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 8/1/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/1/11
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 8/1/11
Related Forum Threads
- Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones or earphones give better sound quality? Last post on 3/21/14 at 11:13am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Questions on Reshelling IEMs. Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference? Last post on Yesterday at 10:19 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full sizepost #1 of 87/31/11 at 8:49amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 87/31/11 at 10:15ampost #3 of 87/31/11 at 10:21amThread Starter
I dont want crazy ridiculous bass that is greatly out of whack and messing the eq up. Westone 3 are pretty heavy on bass but still nice. But like I said I want clear tightly defined clear bass that has a nice presence but isn't totally out of whack. High separation between instruments everything as clear as can be in my price range.post #4 of 87/31/11 at 10:39amCheck out the fostex t50rp. They need a couple of hours and a few parts but when modified are a stunning value, with bass comparable to my jh16 but a more neutral and open sound through the rest of the range. And you can tune the bass as part of the modification, it's really easy.
I did a variation I dubbed rastapants which is easy and very effective.post #5 of 87/31/11 at 11:26amQuote:Originally Posted by Freeze
I dont want crazy ridiculous bass that is greatly out of whack and messing the eq up. Westone 3 are pretty heavy on bass but still nice. But like I said I want clear tightly defined clear bass that has a nice presence but isn't totally out of whack. High separation between instruments everything as clear as can be in my price range.
They have a lot of bass but everything else is still there.Quote:Originally Posted by mrspeakers
Check out the fostex t50rp. They need a couple of hours and a few parts but when modified are a stunning value, with bass comparable to my jh16 but a more neutral and open sound through the rest of the range. And you can tune the bass as part of the modification, it's really easy.
I did a variation I dubbed rastapants which is easy and very effective.
It's mostly a mids can, but after some modding and a little EQ, they will blow the bass very well. Problem is, that they take A LOT of power. But OP's amps should deliver.
For bass, dampen heavily up to the driver and pack in the blutak.
Add some custom pads
and you're good to gopost #6 of 87/31/11 at 3:25pm
Nice review, but EQ is not the solution, the mods are... On the power side, actually I have had no issue at all running on an iBasso D12. But then, I don't turn it to 3 o'clock, either... Maybe more power is required if EQ is being used to juice the bass...
I did get a giggle out of the "mid can." The Rastapants is no "mid can." It has prodigious, deep and tight bass, easily going down to 20Hz, maybe lower, without EQ. Really, it's got bottom end power on par with the JH16 or the LCD-2. Once you get in and change the damping on the driver, you really are actually about reducing the bass.
Anyhow, not trying to hijack the thread, but wanted to clarify.post #7 of 88/1/11 at 12:54amThread Starterpost #8 of 88/3/11 at 5:52amThread Starter
Got the pro 900's off ebay but going to be awhile before i can fully enjoy them. Have to sell my current dap and current amp or hopefully just trade them on here for what i want. Can't wait to get it all together.
- Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Head-Fi Meet Downtown Montreal 2015 AUGUST 30TH DATE CONFIRMED 53 seconds ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Lite DAC60 - PCM1704 R2R tubed DAC Mod Project 3 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › vibro veritas, measuring our IEMs like a pro with amateur budget. 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › HyperX Cloud - But what version 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Duke - a new high-performance IEM 6 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2