I'm looking for something in the $500 maybe maximum $650 range and that's pushing it. I enjoy hard hitting but tightly accurate bass. Definitely bass heavy listener but I want detailed clear bass that is also loud. I dislike sibilance greatly but also would like clear sparkling highs. I like good separation in the music and being able to pick out all the nuances in the song. I like to be able to get it loud and disortion free if i want or nice medium level with equal performance. I use an imod/pico slim combo. Suggestions please? Your time in appreciated.
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 8/1/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/1/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/1/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 8/1/11
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 8/1/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/1/11
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 8/1/11
Related Forum Threads
- Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones or earphones give better sound quality? Last post on 5/17/11 at 8:06pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Questions on Reshelling IEMs. Last post on 6/6/12 at 7:57am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference? Last post on 2/27/14 at 10:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full sizepost #1 of 87/31/11 at 8:49amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 87/31/11 at 10:15ampost #3 of 87/31/11 at 10:21amThread Starter
I dont want crazy ridiculous bass that is greatly out of whack and messing the eq up. Westone 3 are pretty heavy on bass but still nice. But like I said I want clear tightly defined clear bass that has a nice presence but isn't totally out of whack. High separation between instruments everything as clear as can be in my price range.post #4 of 87/31/11 at 10:39amCheck out the fostex t50rp. They need a couple of hours and a few parts but when modified are a stunning value, with bass comparable to my jh16 but a more neutral and open sound through the rest of the range. And you can tune the bass as part of the modification, it's really easy.
I did a variation I dubbed rastapants which is easy and very effective.post #5 of 87/31/11 at 11:26amQuote:Originally Posted by Freeze
I dont want crazy ridiculous bass that is greatly out of whack and messing the eq up. Westone 3 are pretty heavy on bass but still nice. But like I said I want clear tightly defined clear bass that has a nice presence but isn't totally out of whack. High separation between instruments everything as clear as can be in my price range.
They have a lot of bass but everything else is still there.Quote:Originally Posted by mrspeakers
Check out the fostex t50rp. They need a couple of hours and a few parts but when modified are a stunning value, with bass comparable to my jh16 but a more neutral and open sound through the rest of the range. And you can tune the bass as part of the modification, it's really easy.
I did a variation I dubbed rastapants which is easy and very effective.
It's mostly a mids can, but after some modding and a little EQ, they will blow the bass very well. Problem is, that they take A LOT of power. But OP's amps should deliver.
For bass, dampen heavily up to the driver and pack in the blutak.
Add some custom pads
and you're good to gopost #6 of 87/31/11 at 3:25pm
Nice review, but EQ is not the solution, the mods are... On the power side, actually I have had no issue at all running on an iBasso D12. But then, I don't turn it to 3 o'clock, either... Maybe more power is required if EQ is being used to juice the bass...
I did get a giggle out of the "mid can." The Rastapants is no "mid can." It has prodigious, deep and tight bass, easily going down to 20Hz, maybe lower, without EQ. Really, it's got bottom end power on par with the JH16 or the LCD-2. Once you get in and change the damping on the driver, you really are actually about reducing the bass.
Anyhow, not trying to hijack the thread, but wanted to clarify.post #7 of 88/1/11 at 12:54amThread Starterpost #8 of 88/3/11 at 5:52amThread Starter
Got the pro 900's off ebay but going to be awhile before i can fully enjoy them. Have to sell my current dap and current amp or hopefully just trade them on here for what i want. Can't wait to get it all together.
- Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Schiit Owners Unite 38 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 57 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 2 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 4 minutes ago
- › NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Mullard Tooling Gold Pin Matched Pair tubes 7 minutes ago
- › AudiophileDesktop (Centrance) 7 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude