Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › 19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13) - Page 10

post #136 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by shureThing View Post

Woot! This stopped me getting Double Helix cables...



Is it because the TF10 is a tight fit?  I use the same plugs as the majority of IEM cable makers (Plastics One does the overmolded "type 92" connector that a lot of IEM cables have) but you do have to wiggle them in with a bit of force with the TF10s so it's not a good idea to do nonstop cable rolling with these or certain other IEM cables.

post #137 of 641
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

Hey guys,

 

I was wondering how bad the memory/ergonomics are on the Chris_Himself cables, especially compared to Triple.Fi stock cables? I was thinking about replacing those cables simply because of how difficult they are to manage, but if the ergonomics of the Chris_Himself cables are pretty poor, then it seems like the Null Audio Arete is the way to go. The Arete also seems the be pretty bulky as well (maybe due to the nylon sleeve), but you made references to it's light weight, so it seems to be the best for what I'm looking for.

 

Thanks!


The CH cable is better than the stock cable, ergonomically they are just different, with the stock cable being unwieldy while the CH cable is just a little stiff in comparison.  You can get the CH cable with heat shrink which changes the characteristics in a positive way IMO.  I will post some pictures comparing the two.

 

The Arete is one of the thinner cables I have tested and isn't bulky at all and for me is the easiest to use and has the best combo of flexibility and tangle resistance.  Well, the Lune actually, but if you can get the Arete with the overbraid after the Y-split that would be a great cable ergonomically.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermafia View Post


Is it because the TF10 is a tight fit?  I use the same plugs as the majority of IEM cable makers (Plastics One does the overmolded "type 92" connector that a lot of IEM cables have) but you do have to wiggle them in with a bit of force with the TF10s so it's not a good idea to do nonstop cable rolling with these or certain other IEM cables.


I do have to say I would take the DH cable 10 out or 10 times over the stock TF10 cable and for the size, it is very user friendly.

 

post #138 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 


The CH cable is better than the stock cable, ergonomically they are just different, with the stock cable being unwieldy while the CH cable is just a little stiff in comparison.  You can get the CH cable with heat shrink which changes the characteristics in a positive way IMO.  I will post some pictures comparing the two.

 

The Arete is one of the thinner cables I have tested and isn't bulky at all and for me is the easiest to use and has the best combo of flexibility and tangle resistance.  Well, the Lune actually, but if you can get the Arete with the overbraid after the Y-split that would be a great cable ergonomically.  

 


Thanks, that was great advice. The pricing of the two is about the same and I don't really have the money to spend on cables at the time, but I'll keep this in mind (and stalk the cables for sale to see if there's a bargain).

 

post #139 of 641

Hey, what's the most durable cable for the tf10? I don't want to pay a lot for a cable and I'm not looking for sound improvement, I simply want something which will last. 

post #140 of 641

Average Joe, your review of the Crystal Piccolino is as opposite to my experience as night and day in almost every way.  I have three Crystal Piccolino cables (JH13, LCD2/3, and HD800) and I have used my JH13/Piccolino for almost a year so I am intimately familiar with its sound character.  It is the most natural and smooth cable that I have heard for my JH13.  By the way, the metallurgy of the Piccolino is made up of mostly silver and some gold that are melted together under precise control and temperature before the wire is made otherwise the crystal will be destroyed at different temperature level and its smoothness will be gone.  However, it is not gold plated on the outside as you indicated.  I met with the inventor, Gabby at this year RMAF and had a very good discussion with her on the sound.

 

Besides the Piccolino, I also owned the following cables for my JH13:  JH stock, UE stock, ALO 22 awg Chain Mail 8 wire UPOCC copper, Whiplash TWag v1, and Stefan Audio Equinnox.  Out of the group, the Piccolino is by far the most natural, musical cable with absolutely no listener fatigue.  I do not understand where the roughness come from in your audition.  But the Piccolino is anything but rough.  

post #141 of 641
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poak View Post

Hey, what's the most durable cable for the tf10? I don't want to pay a lot for a cable and I'm not looking for sound improvement, I simply want something which will last. 


There are many factors that go into how long a cable will last IMO, and the primary factor is the users.  How do you remove the plug, where to you keep the player, how much tugging is there on the cable (is it used primarily while walking or sitting down for example), and how is it stored?

 

I also think there is a factor of random bad luck with cables as I have experienced cable failures in IEMs without much use and no abuse to being able to abuse the cables.

 

As far as durability, the Symbiote cable seems very robust and is the first cable I think of from a durability standpoint with the Silver Dragon coming in second.  If you do get the full sleeve over the Arete, with the flexible construction I would imaging that cable should last if treated well.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalo View Post

Average Joe, your review of the Crystal Piccolino is as opposite to my experience as night and day in almost every way.  I have three Crystal Piccolino cables (JH13, LCD2/3, and HD800) and I have used my JH13/Piccolino for almost a year so I am intimately familiar with its sound character.  It is the most natural and smooth cable that I have heard for my JH13.  By the way, the metallurgy of the Piccolino is made up of mostly silver and some gold that are melted together under precise control and temperature before the wire is made otherwise the crystal will be destroyed at different temperature level and its smoothness will be gone.  However, it is not gold plated on the outside as you indicated.  I met with the inventor, Gabby at this year RMAF and had a very good discussion with her on the sound.

 

Besides the Piccolino, I also owned the following cables for my JH13:  JH stock, UE stock, ALO 22 awg Chain Mail 8 wire UPOCC copper, Whiplash TWag v1, and Stefan Audio Equinnox.  Out of the group, the Piccolino is by far the most natural, musical cable with absolutely no listener fatigue.  I do not understand where the roughness come from in your audition.  But the Piccolino is anything but rough.  


The cable I borrowed was not burned in the standard way the other Crystal Piccolino cables were, and the owner agrees with my review.  From talking with someone in the know that shall remain nameless, when burned in a certain way the Crystal Piccolino cable does sound very different and I will have the opportunity to review one once I have the time.  Unfortunately my time is all booked for the near future with custom IEM reviews and amp reviews, plus I do have another cable and some balanced vs. unbalanced tests to do.  Not the greatest picture quality, but here are some cable pics:

 

Audio Hub VF5 Cable:

P1010549.JPG

 

Chris_Himself cables: Extension (only jack end), and original cable (repaired) & balanced cable with heat shrink over it.

P1010523.JPG P1010510.JPG P1010518.JPG

 

Whiplash TWag balanced cable:

P1010532.JPG P1010539.JPG


Edited by average_joe - 12/6/11 at 11:38pm
post #142 of 641

So, if I place sound quality improvements over the stock cable above all other considerations, which cable would you recommend for TF10 overall (without consideration to price)? And which would you consider the best value?

 

Based on your reviews, I'm guessing the answers would be Lune and CH.

post #143 of 641

best cable probably twag, best value id say ch

post #144 of 641
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loghead View Post

So, if I place sound quality improvements over the stock cable above all other considerations, which cable would you recommend for TF10 overall (without consideration to price)? And which would you consider the best value?

 

Based on your reviews, I'm guessing the answers would be Lune and CH.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caracara08 View Post

best cable probably twag, best value id say ch


The cables are like flavors making it difficult to truly compare, but caracara08 answer is in agreement with mine for the TF10.  And I would take the Lune over the Arete personally for the TF10.


Edited by average_joe - 12/9/11 at 6:48am
post #145 of 641

Is that due to a better overall value? Other considerations? Or do the Arete cables actually sound better than the Lune?

 

If the price difference between the following 3 is not an issue, which would you recommend for the TF10s? The Lune, the Arete, or the CH cables?

 

What I'm looking for in order of importance: 1. Sound quality improvements (especially the midrange); 2. lightweight (I use my IEMs for running and working on my jump shot); 3. Microphonics (don't want to be hearing my footsteps while I run); 4. Durability; 5. Ergonomics (this isn't hugely important, as long as they don't get in the way).


Edited by loghead - 12/9/11 at 6:06am
post #146 of 641
Thread Starter 

I meant to say I would take the Lune of the Arete for the TF10 above.  

 

Because of all but #1 I would recommend the Lune over the CH cable, and I do think the Lune is a good deal easier to use.  Now, if you were to run the cable under your shirt that will change things as a heat shrunk CH cable may be better, but it is still stiffer.  One thing to consider is if you do use the Lune under your shirt sweat will be absorbed into the overbraid while sweat may harden the CH cable outer heat shrink.  And of course either cable will need to be worn over-the-ear.

post #147 of 641

Edited (sent OP a PM)

 

BTW- awesome thread man! Extremely helpful!


Edited by loghead - 12/10/11 at 6:11am
post #148 of 641

I really appreciate you reviewing my cables and putting my name on the map man. I'm just a kid and his buddy trying to build cool stuff, and if other people enjoy it, that just makes my day a little bit better.

 

I hope you enjoy your cables Joe... that extension cable was kinda hard to put in tubing but I hope it's to your satisfaction.

post #149 of 641

Which ones of these are the most affortable for my SE535? I don't feel like shelving out too much money on cables but yet i want to have a cable that's quite an improvement from the stock cable.

post #150 of 641
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loghead View Post

Edited (sent OP a PM)

 

BTW- awesome thread man! Extremely helpful!


Replied!  And thanks!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

I really appreciate you reviewing my cables and putting my name on the map man. I'm just a kid and his buddy trying to build cool stuff, and if other people enjoy it, that just makes my day a little bit better.

 

I hope you enjoy your cables Joe... that extension cable was kinda hard to put in tubing but I hope it's to your satisfaction.

 

No problem, that is what the reviews are all about, seeing how things perform. Sometimes you find a great value!

 

And yes, the extension cable is great!  I haven't found the time for the balanced cable yet but like the form factor. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianh View Post

Which ones of these are the most affortable for my SE535? I don't feel like shelving out too much money on cables but yet i want to have a cable that's quite an improvement from the stock cable.

 

Check out the bottom of each review to check to see if a 535 connector is available and go from there. Since I don't have a 535 I can't test the sound and am not sure the changes will necessarily be the same for the 535. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › 19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)