Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › 19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13) - Page 8

post #106 of 641
Thread Starter 

Added the Symbiote and Crystalino cables as well as the UERM stock cable near the top.

post #107 of 641

Great review! I suppose the crystalino is based on crystal piccolino cables?

post #108 of 641
Thread Starter 

Thanks.  Yes, I believe this cable was made by Null Audio (please correct me if I am wrong). When I wrote the review, which was several weeks ago, the link at the top had full product information, but Null Audio has discontinued the cable and has taken the information down.  

post #109 of 641

Hmm, i dont think so. i am not aware of any link between jaben and null audio. Though, the cable material is the same. Jaben sells many other cables for tf10, i suspect the maker of those cables also made the ones shown in your link. In general, crystal cables are rare now, thus the price. Though, Matt(who is currently banned) seems to have an abundance of crystal piccolino wire.


Edited by Cryok95 - 11/18/11 at 1:17am
post #110 of 641

Hi average_joe, may i know which version of the Lune cable did you review? Is it the older one or the later 'Lune cable mkII'?

 

Also, If I am not mistaken, Crystalino and Crystal Piccolino are 2 different companies. Crystal Piccolino sells the wires, but do not make them into cables. Jaben buys the Crystal Piccolino wires and makes them into iem and headphone cables and sells them


Edited by zainprox - 11/18/11 at 8:30am
post #111 of 641
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryok95 View Post

Hmm, i dont think so. i am not aware of any link between jaben and null audio. Though, the cable material is the same. Jaben sells many other cables for tf10, i suspect the maker of those cables also made the ones shown in your link. In general, crystal cables are rare now, thus the price. Though, Matt(who is currently banned) seems to have an abundance of crystal piccolino wire.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainprox View Post

Hi average_joe, may i know which version of the Lune cable did you review? Is it the older one or the later 'Lune cable mkII'?

 

Also, If I am not mistaken, Crystalino and Crystal Piccolino are 2 different companies. Crystal Piccolino sells the wires, but do not make them into cables. Jaben buys the Crystal Piccolino wires and makes them into iem and headphone cables and sells them


So, the cable I reviewed was actually the Crystal Piccolino made by Parrots (Matt), and the rest of your info is correct.

 

Correction: The cable I tested was the MKII.


Edited by average_joe - 11/20/11 at 11:37pm
post #112 of 641

Just a fine review, Joe. I am very interested in trying the Silver Dragon and also a future copper version that Moon Audio will make.

 

It would be cool if you could review the Twisted Cable TWcu (24awg) cable from qusp. (That would add another copper entry to your line up.) It's thick but very flexible. Sounds great. I like mine muchly.  :-)

post #113 of 641

Piccolino isn't rare, you just have to buy a large amount of it at a time to get a halfway decent price (think spending five figures).  I can tell you now that it doesn't cost as much as some people says it does, not by a long shot, but it is still very very expensive compared to wholesale prices of any other cable out there that DIYers work with.  Working with it once was enough to say never again, to build a business around it you either need all the free time of Hannibal Lecter or the $10,000 automatic stripping machine that Crystal uses.  

post #114 of 641
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Just a fine review, Joe. I am very interested in trying the Silver Dragon and also a future copper version that Moon Audio will make.

 

It would be cool if you could review the Twisted Cable TWcu (24awg) cable from qusp. (That would add another copper entry to your line up.) It's thick but very flexible. Sounds great. I like mine muchly.  :-)


Thanks!  I am working on reviewing several other things at the moment and when I get those out I will probably review the cables from qusp.  So many great products!  


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermafia View Post

Piccolino isn't rare, you just have to buy a large amount of it at a time to get a halfway decent price (think spending five figures).  I can tell you now that it doesn't cost as much as some people says it does, not by a long shot, but it is still very very expensive compared to wholesale prices of any other cable out there that DIYers work with.  Working with it once was enough to say never again, to build a business around it you either need all the free time of Hannibal Lecter or the $10,000 automatic stripping machine that Crystal uses.  


Thanks for the info.  If the UERM was my only custom IEM, I would have to consider the cable, but since it isn't, I am OK without ;)

post #115 of 641

Hey Joe, which cable would be a great match for the Aud5x?

post #116 of 641
Thread Starter 

Depends on what you are looking for in the sound...changes or no changes.  Also, what is your price range and what do you want from a looks and usability perspective.  The TWag and Chris_Himself cables are very nice and fit my personal preference.

post #117 of 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

Depends on what you are looking for in the sound...changes or no changes.  Also, what is your price range and what do you want from a looks and usability perspective.  The TWag and Chris_Himself cables are very nice and fit my personal preference.



thanks those fill both price ranges.  i was always curious about the moon audio though. dont think it would be a good pairing? 

post #118 of 641
Thread Starter 

The CH cable is brighter than the SD cable, but both improve space and the overall technical presentation.  The TWag is closer to the CH cable, but technically a little better in the improvements in clarity, imaging, and instrument separation.

post #119 of 641

just wanted to say thanks for the review.

using a NULL Audio Lune cable now, thinking whether shld upgrade to TWag

post #120 of 641

also, can I ask whether plugs matter?

Heard the Oyaide Rhodium plug is really good.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › 19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)