Related Forum Threads
- Asus Essence One or O2/ODAC Combo for HD650 Last post on 4/9/13 at 6:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need some cable advice for my Senn 650 + Bottlehead crack + HRT streamer II+ combo. Last post on 8/18/12 at 11:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- OTL vs SET Amp for HD650 Last post on 10/12/12 at 10:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need help deciding on my first amplifier <300$ with HD650 Last post on 7/18/12 at 1:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2012 Best DAC & AMP for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 3/4/13 at 8:00am in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Edited on 11/14/12
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
This is one of the last things you need to upgrade when your making your portable rig. Vs the fiio L9 this lod cable was a big step up. The first thing that will hit you is the increase in...
Thanks to NoiseHush for the review sample!! Here we have the NoiseHush i7 Noise Cancelling headphones. These headphones have some high points, but fall a bit short in terms of...
Introduction First off, I’d like to thank the folks at Audio-Technica for the sample of the WS77 for review. Yes, I’ve been on something of a roll recently with Audio-Technica...
(caution: this is a long review (I know this because I just typed it out in Word and it spanned 7 pages!) I think this is a long awaited review of the 1Plus2s. I've had the stock cable for...
I have been looking for "THAT" amp, the one for me. I tried a WA6SE, and it had a problem with distorted bass. I have the Lyr, but looking to upgrade. The soloist is really the only other amp...
- Headphone Impedance
Smack;Bottlehead WOT - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Im guessing it will be another few weeks before any impressions are in. I too own a Crack amp but now im looking towards the Smack which should work better with the majority of the cans I own. Did anyone who listened to it at the Seattle meet know which of the two presented more detail? Im curious to hear about the nuances in sound differ. Also here is something for those who like pics.
K500 + Crack
For any of you guys interested in getting a Smack amp, Doc is running a special that ends at the same time as RMAF.
Here's a link to the deal;
I had a chance to listen to the new amp "Smack" at RMAF/Canjam. I previously had S.E.X. amp and currently have the Crack. The S.E.X is no longer my favorite. No review here other than to say I love the new amp. I listened through HD650's and it sounded just fantastic. I normally use HD600's with my Crack and found the new amp to be far better to my ears. It is kind of pricey compared to Crack but with amp prices nowadays I guess it isn't silly expensive. If you're in the area definitely give it a listen. Doc brought his tape rig and has Tape Project tapes to listen to, probably the end-all in consumer analog. He also has a pair of Paramount 300B monoblocks hooked up to some AKG K1000's. That is a treat. I had a pair of the amps but never found K1000's I could afford.
I didn't listen to everything there, but I heard quite a few rigs. There is some beautiful, great sounding gear available these days. I won't name any names but I also heard some beautiful looking expensive gear that sounded like ass.
Anyone on Headfi order a Smack? I have not seen any impressions out besides those who got to listen at a convention. I hope the Smack proves to be a step up from the Crack in sonic ability rather than just being geared for powering lower impedance headphones.
Edited by tdogzthmn - 1/12/12 at 10:21pm
Just picked up the Smack from Bottlehead Headquarters'. I listened to this amp before and really liked it with the HD 800's. Hook it with some nice IC's and power cables and see how this amp likes to rock. Just got AC/DC "For those about to rock" Cd a few days ago so am looking forward to listening to that.
The Crack + HD800 is really great and punchy sounding, but did not have the same precision and clearness as my solid state BCL does. I'm hoping the Smack will be closer in these aspects but retain the better emotional impact which tube amps are great at producing.
The First CD I put in was Etta James "At Last". Soft and lush sounding amp, very nice!. With Senn 650's and a Stephan balanced senn cable. Also besides the arcam 73t hooked up to a custom dac have some DIY IC's made with Furutech gold RCA's with some 16AWG SPC in Teflon, then the amp has a custom Power Cable made with Cardas wire with Silver and Rhodium IEC's, Hooked up to a Tesla QLS-6, then it is connected to an Oyaide R1 in the wall. Tried to condense what the amp was connected to.
I'm done building my Bottlehead Smack and let me tell you that it is a great amplifier. You can read my review of it (and my other amplifiers) here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/503622/review-of-my-5-diy-amplifiers-added-2012-03-20-bottlehead-smack
^ Thanks for putting out a review. I've been waiting for awhile to see how people are liking their Smack, and it's great that you have a variety of other amps on hand to compare it to. Any chance you have been able to use its balanced outputs yet on any of your headphones?
Thank you for this review. I had purchased a Smack kit and later realized I do not have time to build it. An experienced tech put it together for me and I have just tested it enough to add to this. It is a great unit! It really takes control of my Denon 2000's and increases their focus very well. It is a stately companion for my Denon 7000's and all my Grado's (Sr225, 325i and RS1i). I tried it with
my HE-500's and it sounded sweet, but not enough power. (Doc B had told me that this would be the case...) I also have a pair of BH Paramount 300B monoblocks which work very well with the HE-500's, as well as my EF-5 amp.
If you are using low-impedance phones this amp is a winner, very clear and well-developed. The tech I used developed a lot of respect for Bottlehead products, as well.
It does very well with both low and high impedance headphones, the trouble is with low-sensitivity headphones like the orthodynamic headphones (Audez'e and HifiMan). It does manages to do a quite respectable job with them, but the Smack just can't control them as well as one of the high-powered hybrid or SS amplifier (like my EHHA).
What I'd really be interested to try is a high-powered, low impedance OTL amplifier like the Transcendent Sound SE-OTL. That's what I plan to build and modify next. I imagine it would not be too difficult to add a volume pot and a headphone jack to one.
- Smack;Bottlehead WOT
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 48 seconds ago
- › Violectric V100 vs V200 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 2 minutes ago
- › Equaliser (EQ) knowledge 2 minutes ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › iTunes stuttering when using Firefox 3 minutes ago
- › Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START... 3 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 4 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 4 minutes ago
- › ALO audio 22awg OCC Cryo Dock by David Chavez
- › NoiseHush i7 Active Noise-Cancelling Headphones - Black - Retail by pro1137
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by TheGame21x
- › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 by cravenz
- › Burson Audio Soloist Amp by DutchGFX
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by shdl83
- › Beats Pro (High Performance Professional Headphones From... by thatBeatsguy
- › Resonessence Labs Concero by planx
- › Philips in-Ear Headphones Crystal Sound SHE9620/28 (Rose Gold) by DozerCSX
- › Sony MDR-NC40 Noise Canceling Headphone (Black) by UmustBKidn
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe