Related Forum Threads
- Asus Essence One or O2/ODAC Combo for HD650 Last post on 4/9/13 at 6:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need some cable advice for my Senn 650 + Bottlehead crack + HRT streamer II+ combo. Last post on 8/18/12 at 11:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- OTL vs SET Amp for HD650 Last post on 10/12/12 at 10:16pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need help deciding on my first amplifier <300$ with HD650 Last post on 7/18/12 at 1:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 2012 Best DAC & AMP for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 12/10/13 at 6:36am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Smack;Bottlehead WOT - Page 2post #16 of 308/17/11 at 1:53am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 309/8/11 at 7:13pm
Im guessing it will be another few weeks before any impressions are in. I too own a Crack amp but now im looking towards the Smack which should work better with the majority of the cans I own. Did anyone who listened to it at the Seattle meet know which of the two presented more detail? Im curious to hear about the nuances in sound differ. Also here is something for those who like pics.
K500 + Crackpost #18 of 3010/12/11 at 3:59pm
For any of you guys interested in getting a Smack amp, Doc is running a special that ends at the same time as RMAF.
Here's a link to the deal;post #19 of 3010/15/11 at 9:00pm
I had a chance to listen to the new amp "Smack" at RMAF/Canjam. I previously had S.E.X. amp and currently have the Crack. The S.E.X is no longer my favorite. No review here other than to say I love the new amp. I listened through HD650's and it sounded just fantastic. I normally use HD600's with my Crack and found the new amp to be far better to my ears. It is kind of pricey compared to Crack but with amp prices nowadays I guess it isn't silly expensive. If you're in the area definitely give it a listen. Doc brought his tape rig and has Tape Project tapes to listen to, probably the end-all in consumer analog. He also has a pair of Paramount 300B monoblocks hooked up to some AKG K1000's. That is a treat. I had a pair of the amps but never found K1000's I could afford.
I didn't listen to everything there, but I heard quite a few rigs. There is some beautiful, great sounding gear available these days. I won't name any names but I also heard some beautiful looking expensive gear that sounded like ass.post #20 of 3010/15/11 at 9:04pmpost #21 of 3011/30/11 at 4:03ampost #22 of 301/12/12 at 10:19pm
Anyone on Headfi order a Smack? I have not seen any impressions out besides those who got to listen at a convention. I hope the Smack proves to be a step up from the Crack in sonic ability rather than just being geared for powering lower impedance headphones.
Edited by tdogzthmn - 1/12/12 at 10:21pmpost #23 of 301/26/12 at 4:22pm
Just picked up the Smack from Bottlehead Headquarters'. I listened to this amp before and really liked it with the HD 800's. Hook it with some nice IC's and power cables and see how this amp likes to rock. Just got AC/DC "For those about to rock" Cd a few days ago so am looking forward to listening to that.post #24 of 301/26/12 at 7:23pm
The Crack + HD800 is really great and punchy sounding, but did not have the same precision and clearness as my solid state BCL does. I'm hoping the Smack will be closer in these aspects but retain the better emotional impact which tube amps are great at producing.post #25 of 301/26/12 at 7:51pm
The First CD I put in was Etta James "At Last". Soft and lush sounding amp, very nice!. With Senn 650's and a Stephan balanced senn cable. Also besides the arcam 73t hooked up to a custom dac have some DIY IC's made with Furutech gold RCA's with some 16AWG SPC in Teflon, then the amp has a custom Power Cable made with Cardas wire with Silver and Rhodium IEC's, Hooked up to a Tesla QLS-6, then it is connected to an Oyaide R1 in the wall. Tried to condense what the amp was connected to.post #26 of 303/20/12 at 5:00pmThread Starter
I'm done building my Bottlehead Smack and let me tell you that it is a great amplifier. You can read my review of it (and my other amplifiers) here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/503622/review-of-my-5-diy-amplifiers-added-2012-03-20-bottlehead-smackpost #27 of 303/20/12 at 6:52pm
^ Thanks for putting out a review. I've been waiting for awhile to see how people are liking their Smack, and it's great that you have a variety of other amps on hand to compare it to. Any chance you have been able to use its balanced outputs yet on any of your headphones?post #28 of 303/20/12 at 7:07pmThread Starterpost #29 of 303/20/12 at 7:35pm
Thank you for this review. I had purchased a Smack kit and later realized I do not have time to build it. An experienced tech put it together for me and I have just tested it enough to add to this. It is a great unit! It really takes control of my Denon 2000's and increases their focus very well. It is a stately companion for my Denon 7000's and all my Grado's (Sr225, 325i and RS1i). I tried it with
my HE-500's and it sounded sweet, but not enough power. (Doc B had told me that this would be the case...) I also have a pair of BH Paramount 300B monoblocks which work very well with the HE-500's, as well as my EF-5 amp.
If you are using low-impedance phones this amp is a winner, very clear and well-developed. The tech I used developed a lot of respect for Bottlehead products, as well.post #30 of 303/22/12 at 10:55amThread Starter
It does very well with both low and high impedance headphones, the trouble is with low-sensitivity headphones like the orthodynamic headphones (Audez'e and HifiMan). It does manages to do a quite respectable job with them, but the Smack just can't control them as well as one of the high-powered hybrid or SS amplifier (like my EHHA).
What I'd really be interested to try is a high-powered, low impedance OTL amplifier like the Transcendent Sound SE-OTL. That's what I plan to build and modify next. I imagine it would not be too difficult to add a volume pot and a headphone jack to one.
- Smack;Bottlehead WOT
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Hifiman HE-560(upgrade balanced cable and grill mod)/or 425$ with... 50 seconds ago
- › Melos SHA Gold 2016 Project (Long Post) 55 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › iPhone 6s Sound Quality 1 minute ago
- › Help on an amp/dac 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Rosie Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin iHA-6 - the new "affordable reference" class balanced desktop... 3 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 5 minutes ago
- › Canlanta 2016 Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...