Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50s or the V-Moda Crossfades?? Help!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M50s or the V-Moda Crossfades?? Help!!

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

Hi, I'm new to head-fi and do not really know a lot about headphones and what is good. However, my research has led me to these two choice for headphones. I am a teenager. I listen to rap,pop, hip hop, and dubstep like deadmau5 and skrillex. Needless to say I like bass. However, I also like to listen to music without a lot of bass as well like Bob Marley and music in that genre. WHat I'm wondoring is which headphone would fit my taste of the two mentioned in the title? I want the sound to be crisp but also when listening to dubstep I want the bass to be aggressive and tight. Also, if there is better headphones other than these two sets, mentio0n those as well but please dont bring up Sony XB's or Sennheisers because I will probably be wearing these in public. My price range is like $80 to $120. I heard the M50s were overrated from some reviews and others said they were the best they've ever heard, so I am unsure about the M50s. Also, the Crossfade LPs apparently don't sound good to some people but to others they are great.

 

Please help I have no idea what to choose!

 

EDIT: Also, I'm using an iPhone 4 for most of my music listening.


Edited by theflipper - 7/27/11 at 11:57am
post #2 of 35
Thread Starter 

can anyone help??

 

bump

post #3 of 35

The M50 Vs Crossfade:

 

M50

M50

M50

 

is this a comparison or a one sided fist fight?

 

Get the M50 is you care about: Sound, comfort, durability, ease of use, travel or the bass response

Get the Ccossfades if you care about: Looks (which looks horrible as a gimick)

 

post #4 of 35

M50.

 

Also, the Crossfades clamp harder than my HD280s (and that's saying something). The fact that they are very heavy does not help the comfort factor (or lack thereof).

post #5 of 35

There was just another thread where a new user was complaining how uncomfy the Crossfades were...

post #6 of 35
Thread Starter 
But don't alot of people complain that the M50s dont have the really good bass they were expecting. Oh well, ill order off amazon and give the one that i dont like as much back. You can return opened headphones within 30 days at amazon right??
post #7 of 35

Buy that little portable headphone amp and the M50s. http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/tags-on-product/B001P9EQH8

 

The bass on the M50s is fantastic when amped. For $20 you cant go wrong.

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipper View Post

But don't alot of people complain that the M50s dont have the really good bass they were expecting. Oh well, ill order off amazon and give the one that i dont like as much back. You can return opened headphones within 30 days at amazon right??


Yes, you have 30 days if it was fulfilled by amazon. And the guy above is not necessarily right. Different people have different tastes for bass quantity. To me, the M50 unamped has seriously lacking in bass. When I paired it with the E5 with bass boost on, guess what? Still lacking in bass. The Crossfade has noticably better bass but a bit less clarity.
 

 

post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post

Buy that little portable headphone amp and the M50s. http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/tags-on-product/B001P9EQH8

 

The bass on the M50s is fantastic when amped. For $20 you cant go wrong.



Yeah, No!mad.gif

 

A FiiO E5 will not add bass to a headphone that can't make use of that bass.

 

I have  FiiO E5 for a reason, not just because

 

The M50 don't need a amp and if they paired to one, the sound start degrading 

post #10 of 35

Heya,

 

Any why just the M50's or Crossfades? Why not HFI 580's? Pro700MKII's? DT770Pro80's?

 

I'd go Ultrasone.

 

And yes, you can return things to Amazon (if it's sold by Amazon, be careful, pay attention to the seller). I've done it a few times with headphones no problems.

 

Very best,

post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post





Yeah, No!mad.gif

 

A FiiO E5 will not add bass to a headphone that can't make use of that bass.

 

I have  FiiO E5 for a reason, not just because

 

The M50 don't need a amp and if they paired to one, the sound start degrading 


The sound will distort in high volumes when using E5 with bass boost on..

But M50 needs amping when the listener wants bass slam and it can be achieved with the proper amp.

I find E7 capable of adding that amount of bass slam without degrading the sound..

 


Edited by Optimus Praim - 7/28/11 at 12:16am
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post





Yeah, No!mad.gif

 

A FiiO E5 will not add bass to a headphone that can't make use of that bass.

 

I have  FiiO E5 for a reason, not just because

 

The M50 don't need a amp and if they paired to one, the sound start degrading 



Well maybe I just have uncultured ears or something, but my M50s had no real bass to them when I ran them unamped, but sounded much better and more immersive when I turned up the amp on my Xonar ST. I am also yet to experience any degree of sound degradation while running them amped.

post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post

Well maybe I just have uncultured ears or something, but my M50s had no real bass to them when I ran them unamped, but sounded much better and more immersive when I turned up the amp on my Xonar ST. I am also yet to experience any degree of sound degradation while running them amped.


Sorry, can you clarify this? I thought you recommended the E5 as an amp, and now you're saying "the amp on the Xonar ST" causes no sound degradation? 

Which amp have you used your M50 with?

 

post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post





Well maybe I just have uncultured ears or something, but my M50s had no real bass to them when I ran them unamped, but sounded much better and more immersive when I turned up the amp on my Xonar ST. I am also yet to experience any degree of sound degradation while running them amped.


Sounding better is often confused with simply having more volume.

 

Very best,

 

post #15 of 35
Thread Starter 
Okay so if I get the M50s, I have to get an expensive amp to hear good bass too?? :/ thats kind of expensive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50s or the V-Moda Crossfades?? Help!!